Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 18 guests

How did you get hooked on Honor?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How did you get hooked on Honor?
Post by Greentea   » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:27 pm

Greentea
Commander

I got hooked because I was already addicted to the 1632 series and my husband suggested I would enjoy the Honorverse, since Weber is an author in both. I figured I'd try the series. After all, the first couple books had free kindle editions. I should have recognized that sales tactic.

fallsfromtrees wrote:At BucConeer in 1998, Baen was giving out free paperback copies of In Enemy Hands. I thought it was a little slow getting started, but by the time I got to the end of the book I was hooked. Immediately bought all of the previous volumes, as well as everything else by David I could find, and have been a first day of issue for everything since.
As all good pushers know, giving away the first sample builds business.

No I'm not addicted - I can stop anytime I want.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Post by Roguevictory   » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:17 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Starfire was the first tabletop wargame I ever played so when I realized it had a novel series based on it I grabbed those as fast as I could, all four RFC was involved with were out by than.

I had read a little about the Honorverse (This was around the time At All Costs came out in Mass Market Paberback form.) and was amused by the idea the surname of the leader of the true antagonist was Detweiler (Also the surname of the two biggest bullies I ever had the displeasure of knowing.)

I saw The Shadow of Saganami in a bookstore a couple of weeks after I finished catching up with the current Starfire books and grabbed it.
Post by Bruno Behrends   » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:03 am

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

I had entered my local scifi and fantasy bookstore, bored and trying to find a new book series to read when the flashy picture of a beautiful young woman in uniform caught my eye.

Yeah - well - that kind of sales strategy seems to have worked perfectly in my case.

Matters immediately got worse because female fighters always have been a favourite fantasy of mine. I am afraid I am hopelessly male.

The cover belonged to Field of Dishonor. I devoured the book, bought all the others and have been hooked ever since.

That I've been a rabid Hornblower fan since I was 12 years old or so didn't help any either.

Then there is this whole military thing to the Honorverse. Talk all you want about upbringing and such - but my parents and whole family is as close to pacifist as you can get, never bought me toy guns or stuff, my father had never been in military service and while the topic wasn't taboo, military was kind of frowned on by my parents. Nevertheless battles were all I ever painted or played as a kid as far back as I can still remember. (Game consoles or personal computers didn't exist yet). When I didn't have knights or tanks I used screws or nails or matches.
Hopeless, I tell you.

All of that being said: I turned out to be totally incapable of escaping DW's clutches :P
Post by isaac_newton   » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:44 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Bruno Behrends wrote:SNIP

That I've been a rabid Hornblower fan since I was 12 years old or so didn't help any either.
SNIP

SNAP - along with Patrick O'Brian :-)

Anyway - I was reading the Lost Fleet series, and was looking in Amazon to see what others thought. Well, someone said try DW -'much better'.

So I hied me to our library and they had some all ready to be ordered...
Post by John Prigent   » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:54 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

I picked up the paperback of On Basilisk Station when it first reached England, and liked it so I bought the following three or four books as paperbacks. Then I discovered that I could get the hardcovers from the US a lot more quickly than waiting for the paperbacks, so I've bought the later books that way and replaced my worn-out paperbacks too. Not to mention buying RFC's other series on publication ;)
Cheers
John
Post by Amaroq   » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:22 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

I first read about it in an article on TVTropes.org. It was an article about strong female characters and one of the SF examples listed was Honor and the Honorverse. The description intrigued me so I looked up a list of books in the series. Then I went down to a local used bookstore just to see if they had anything there and Voila! There was "On Basilisk Station". I picked it up for about a buck and loved it. I managed to find a good deal on Half.com for the whole series (up to ~AAC) and then looked into the internet community...the rest is history.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by Dafmeister   » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:49 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

I'd seen Honor Harrington and Manticore referred to in a few different places, and one day when things were slow at work I looked it up on Wikipedia. I liked the whole 'ships of the line IN SPACE!' motif so I ordered a copy of On Basilisk Station. I finished reading it at about 3am having been unable to put it down; the next day I ordered everything else in the series that had been published (all the mainline novels up to At All Costs, Shadow of Saganami and the first four anthologies).
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:27 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Like Amaroq, I first found the series through TVTropes. My weakness for all things military having been formed by Tamora Pierce's Tortall books when I was but a wee thing, I was naturally intrigued by the idea of a female Horatio Hornblower IN SPACE!

So, being helpfully pointed to the Fifth Imperium's collection of Honorverse CDs (I believe Storm From the Shadows had just been released, but don't quote me on that), I downloaded everything I could get my hands on and began reading.

Several days later, I had finished On Basilisk Station. "Okay," said I, "that Dame Estelle character is sheer awesome, and it was a genuinely entertaining book, but I still don't get the hype. Maybe I should read the next one."

Then I read The Honor of the Queen.

Long story short: hype bloody well gotten.

After that, I was hooked. I've read the whole series from the start at least three times (don't expect that number to increase, given certain events in At All Costs), and individual books even more than that - I've probably read HotQ at least ten separate times, and the Honor Among Enemies/In Enemy Hands/Echoes of Honor/Ashes of Victory arc at least half a dozen.

Let's not even talk about how many times I've read A Rising Thunder or the Saganami Island books.

And now I'm making my way through Off Armageddon Reef, so I suspect I will add another Weber series to my favorites before long. (And to the list of novel series that have repeatedly traumatized my soul, but that's okay.)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by FLHerne   » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:01 pm

FLHerne
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I got stuck in a thread arguing over the relative military capabilities of the Honorverse and WH40k. :roll:

(Honorverse tech is a lot more defined and self-consistent than WH40k, which makes comparing the two quite awkward. I think it came down to 'Honorverse wins, but only if they don't all go insane from grimdark overdose first').
Post by RHWoodman   » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:55 pm

RHWoodman
Captain (Junior Grade)

It was 1997 or 1998.

For fun, I went to the local library and reread the entire Horatio Hornblower series (I had first read it as a pre-teen). After I finished, I was talking with the librarian about much fun it was to reread the series as a grownup. The librarian, a big fan of science fiction who knew I was a fan of the genre also, said, "Well, if you like Horatio Hornblower and you like science fiction, then you'll probably like this series." Whereupon he pulled out On Basilisk Station. I was hooked from then on.

Return to Honorverse