Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 130 guests

Commanding Officer's Course?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Commanding Officer's Course?
Post by Roguevictory   » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:28 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

fallsfromtrees wrote:
HungryKing wrote:snip
ATC is for warship commanders who are being evaluted for Captain JG, or the possibility of being offered one of the rare obsolete CL commands as a commander (which is a way of saying being vetted for accelerated promotion).

Obsolete CL commands? I have seen no textev that CLs are about to be come obsolete - quite the contrary - Lighter elements are going to be come more important as the need for scouting, commerce protection, and commerce raiding increases.

I think HungryKing is claiming that only obsolete Light Cruisers would be commanded by an officer ranked Commander rather then one ranked Captain JG. I disagree though. I think Lt. Commander would be a fairly common rank for Destroyer COs, and Frigate COs when they were in use with Commander being a common rank for Light Cruiser COs
Post by Draken   » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Draken
Commander

Before King Roger build-up Captain(JG) probably was standard, because they have so little light ships that everybody must get a ship or get promotion and get CA or something bigger. Seniority in rank doesn't matter because Webster wanted Honor as a commander of Nike and he did it, because she was superior commander and White Haven was her patron.
ATC is about tactics and strategy, how to fight all kinds of ships, how to ale good decision while fighting.
And other one is about diplomacy, how to solve problems inside crew, how to be a good administrator, how to deal with superiors and subordinates. How to behave as an envoy. Also ATC is extended form of basic tactical curriculum, because it's basically the same, so it's much easier to learn all things. This Commanding Officer course is harder because on Saganami they didn't have anything about interactions with crew, being envoy and all that stuff.
Post by dreamrider   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:59 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

SWM wrote:A point that others have not made yet:

I expect that every officer needs to take the Commanding Officers Course in order to attain higher rank, whether or not they ever intend to command a ship. So it is about the kinds of things that every officer need to know, including those sitting behind desks.

Actually, in the current US Services, an officer will go through at least 2, and sometimes 3, levels of 'Commanding Officer's Course', at different points in his/her career. Related to the differences in the demands of progressively higher level commands, and somewhat to how long it has been since last holding command.

dreamrider
Post by dreamrider   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:07 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
ATC is for warship commanders who are being evaluted for Captain JG, or the possibility of being offered one of the rare obsolete CL commands as a commander (which is a way of saying being vetted for accelerated promotion).

Obsolete CL commands? I have seen no textev that CLs are about to be come obsolete - quite the contrary - Lighter elements are going to be come more important as the need for scouting, commerce protection, and commerce raiding increases.

Pretty sure he was harking back to the c.1900 era, and Honor's appointment to first Fearless.

dr
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:20 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

dreamrider wrote:

fallsfromtrees wrote:Obsolete CL commands? I have seen no textev that CLs are about to be come obsolete - quite the contrary - Lighter elements are going to be come more important as the need for scouting, commerce protection, and commerce raiding increases.

Pretty sure he was harking back to the c.1900 era, and Honor's appointment to first Fearless.

dr

Pretty sure she had already been through the Crusher by the time she took command of Fearless 1. I believe her command prior to the Crusher was the DD Hawkwing.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Roguevictory   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:44 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

fallsfromtrees wrote:
dreamrider wrote:Obsolete CL commands? I have seen no textev that CLs are about to be come obsolete - quite the contrary - Lighter elements are going to be come more important as the need for scouting, commerce protection, and commerce raiding increases.

dr

Pretty sure she had already been through the Crusher by the time she took command of Fearless 1. I believe her command prior to the Crusher was the DD Hawkwing.[/quote]

Yeah she went through the Commanding Officer's Course then commanded Hawkwing. After commanding Hawkwing she was sent to the Crusher than after the Crusher she was given command of Fearless.
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Draken wrote:Also is she's a tactical genius she wouldn't have problems with ATC so she probably jumped few classes up. Also she show that she had command abilities before that, Attica Avalanche rescue mission, she was commanding officer there. It shows that powers in fleet trusted her, because if not they would send somebody senior to take that post from her. OCS isn't thing which you could easily learn paperwork is hard and there is a lot of that.

At Attica, she was HMS Broadsword's exec, and called her ships captain to relieve the idiot who outranked her but didn't have a clue. She got into the ATC a bit early, as she was supposed to be in Silesia for at least another 6 months. Adm. Webster and Courvosier used the political fallout from her assault on a Silesian Slaver depot to officially relieve her from her command. Her enemies (Silesian ambassador and Young's relatives) didn't notice she ended up in the ATC.

Rob

Return to Honorverse