Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 164 guests

The Grand Alliance Grand Attack

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Grand Alliance Grand Attack
Post by n7axw   » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:57 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:I don't think you would be able to identiby highly stealthed ships and yachts in or moving around/leaving the Mesa system.
That would be primarily because they would not be using said stealth gear. Why bother? All it would do is call attention to themselves from the System tactical net/SDF. They also have no reason to be slinking around. You apparently can't yet identify Streak Drive ships just from visuals and there is no reason for the Alignment to put any Spider Drive ship anywhere near the Mesa system.

Traffic to and from the Mesa system has the option of the Mesa-Visigoth wormhole or just heading out in whatever direction is best for it's next or 1st destination on whatever business it is on.
I don't recall any discripton of Visigoth actually stopping and searching ships comming through from Mesa for slaves so any of the Houdini people who are being sent on ships with slave cargos are going to be a fairly good cover, especially if you only add two or four Houdini's plus a GAUL to any given ship. Heck, if the Alignment didn't use public transport from surface to station and just used private shuttles w/o bothering to list the escapees as passengers then you can move them off world and onto a cargo ship without all that bothersome paperwork that would let them be tracked.
There have to be places that ships come from or go to on a regular basis at Mesa through hyperspace. They don't have to be on any particular schedule, just the best direction (and that changes with planetary movement) and there is no reason why a ship can't head out as if it were going to the 123 System and change course a suitable time after it enters hyperspace. If I were taking a load of slaves somewhere, that is what I would do. Who is going to check (to this point) from the government of Mesa? Freighters also can carry passengers. They probably even do it on a regular basis and at a level of more than the occasional one or two. Depends on where ships are going and, typicaly, how often other scheduled transport goes- and how it goes- to the same points. It is not unususal now for what are essentily cargo boats to carry passengers to points on Earth's oceans without regular scheduled passenger service or where that service is infrequent.
Given the amount of potential space available on your average Honorverse freighter, they could easily have room for 10 to 20 people given that they are going to have (and want to have) plenty of available environmental capacity and support such as food. If you have a bunch of somwhat shady ships calling at Mesa all the time (slave transports etc) it would be relatively easy to put several people on even a non-slaving ship just by transfering them in regular cargo/supply lighters.

We do that that the shipping pattens were detectable. In CoG we have textev that the controllers on Balescu station noted the large increase in traffic. This indicates that there is something that Anton will be able to sift out of the background.

I agree with you that the shipping patterns will be discernable at some level. However, I also will point out that "huge increase in shipping patterns" will mean something different in a wealthy system like Mesa with a large volume of traffic coming and going than it will for Balescu station with comparatively little traffic.

I would also suggest that the routing for Houdini won't be all the same. There could be dozens of initial stops that would fold back into one final destination as a technique for making the final routing harder to trace.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:16 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

n7axw wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:We do that that the shipping pattens were detectable. In CoG we have textev that the controllers on Balescu station noted the large increase in traffic. This indicates that there is something that Anton will be able to sift out of the background.

I agree with you that the shipping patterns will be discernable at some level. However, I also will point out that "huge increase in shipping patterns" will mean something different in a wealthy system like Mesa with a large volume of traffic coming and going than it will for Balescu station with comparatively little traffic.

I would also suggest that the routing for Houdini won't be all the same. There could be dozens of initial stops that would fold back into one final destination as a technique for making the final routing harder to trace.

Don

I agree that the patterns will vary. My point was that there can have been only a few routes available, or there wouldn't have been a significant uptick in Balescu station's traffic. There were undoubtedly multiple way points, and not all routes would have used all of the way points, but there probably was a single final terminus that they all culminated at, from which the individuals wer moved to Darius. I suspect that the GAULs know of the penultimate terminus, but not of Darius - their job is to get their charges to the final collection point.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:50 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:We do that that the shipping pattens were detectable. In CoG we have textev that the controllers on Balescu station noted the large increase in traffic. This indicates that there is something that Anton will be able to sift out of the background.

n7axw wrote:I agree with you that the shipping patterns will be discernable at some level. However, I also will point out that "huge increase in shipping patterns" will mean something different in a wealthy system like Mesa with a large volume of traffic coming and going than it will for Balescu station with comparatively little traffic.

Don

fallsfromtrees wrote:I agree that the patterns will vary. My point was that there can have been only a few routes available, or there wouldn't have been a significant uptick in Balescu station's traffic. There were undoubtedly multiple way points, and not all routes would have used all of the way points, but there probably was a single final terminus that they all culminated at, from which the individuals wer moved to Darius. I suspect that the GAULs know of the penultimate terminus, but not of Darius - their job is to get their charges to the final collection point.

Good points, but I doubt if there would be one final collection point. That would mean routing several thousand people, possibly several tens of thousands of people, through one station in the period of several months. That's more than a "significant uptick" in super-sekret, "we're not here" traffic.

The other point here is that Darius itself has to have established (although clandestine) routes elsewhere, otherwise it couldn't be shipping munitions like the initial loads of cataphracts (which almost certainly came from Darius) and it couldn't be the new headquarters of the MAlign.

The wormhole junction at Felix might, or might not, be one of them.

There are probably cutouts, but I seriously doubt that the last stage installations, where ships from outside meet ships from Darius, are regarded as disposable. If they are, I can see several stations mysteriously blown up or otherwise destroyed, as the result of "ballroom activity" or possibly "Torch activity."
Post by SWM   » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:37 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:The other point here is that Darius itself has to have established (although clandestine) routes elsewhere, otherwise it couldn't be shipping munitions like the initial loads of cataphracts (which almost certainly came from Darius) and it couldn't be the new headquarters of the MAlign.

I agree that there must be clandestine ships going in and out of Darius (we've seen a few). But the intial shipments of cataphracts were almost certainly not produced at Darius. They were far more likely produced at Technodyne's manufacturing plants on Mesa. Technodyne developed the missile; they have the plans and have now shared them with the League. They didn't just get these missile designs from mysterious benefactors. It is certainly possible that Technodyne received hidden assistance from the Alignment, but Technodyne had to have done genuine R&D on it. Otherwise it would imply far too many people knowing things they shouldn't--R&D staffers, managers, plant workers, administrative assistants, and so on. There has to be a paper trail showing where they came from.

The far simpler is that Technodyne really did produce the missiles in the initial shipments. That is also the easiest way to cover it up against inquisitive people like Zilwicki.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by n7axw   » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:54 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:The other point here is that Darius itself has to have established (although clandestine) routes elsewhere, otherwise it couldn't be shipping munitions like the initial loads of cataphracts (which almost certainly came from Darius) and it couldn't be the new headquarters of the MAlign.

I agree that there must be clandestine ships going in and out of Darius (we've seen a few). But the intial shipments of cataphracts were almost certainly not produced at Darius. They were far more likely produced at Technodyne's manufacturing plants on Mesa. Technodyne developed the missile; they have the plans and have now shared them with the League. They didn't just get these missile designs from mysterious benefactors. It is certainly possible that Technodyne received hidden assistance from the Alignment, but Technodyne had to have done genuine R&D on it. Otherwise it would imply far too many people knowing things they shouldn't--R&D staffers, managers, plant workers, administrative assistants, and so on. There has to be a paper trail showing where they came from.

The far simpler is that Technodyne really did produce the missiles in the initial shipments. That is also the easiest way to cover it up against inquisitive people like Zilwicki.

I doubt that anything produced at Darius is being exported at all at this point in time. Too important to keep the new stuff under wraps or at most used in tightly controled circumstances....

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:56 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

SWM wrote:

Not quite.

A Rising Thunder, Chapter 9 wrote:He'd been surprised Technodyne was supplying anything, given the legal firestorm still swirling around the huge arms manufacturer. But then he'd examined the new order a bit more closely and discovered that the "Technodyne" shipment had actually originated in the Mesa system.

Which was odd, since there was no Technodyne manufacturing facility in that system.

Technodyne did have a corporate headquarters on Mesa, so it might have made sense for shipping orders to originate there, but there was no way the missiles themselves should be coming from that star system. Not if they'd actually been built by Technodyne at least. Unless, perhaps, they were coming out of ammunition stockpiles already amassed by someone --- someone other than the Solarian League Navy --- in the aforesaid system.

See ToF, Chapters 50 and 58. The Cataphracts are clearly designed for the Mesan Alignment Navy (MAN), and there is no reason whatever why the MAlign would farm out manufacturing them when they've got a perfectly good arsenal planet of their own.

And if they were coming from Technodyne, why didn't the SLN know about them? The MAlign has a lot of reasons to not let the SLN know about a new generation of missiles, especially missiles that would validate the reports of the Manticoran's "impossible" powered range.
Post by Vince   » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:09 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

SWM wrote:

A Rising Thunder, Chapter 9, has Filareta thinking about the "Technodyne" missile shipment. Filareta notices that the missiles supposedly came from Mesa. He knows that Technodyne doesn't have a manufacturing facility in the Mesa system, just a corporate headquarters. He was certain that someone else actually provided the missiles, if the missiles where actually coming from Mesa. He knows to a near certainty that he is being played to be destroyed, just like Crandall, by his 'Mesan friends' and that someone up high (he thinks either Kingsford or Rajampet, or maybe someone lower down in Logistics) is also in on it.

For a Battle Fleet SLN officer (with some additional knowledge about the way Mesa works), he demonstrates that he actually can connect the dots. He probably even "can pour piss out of a boot with instructions written on the heel".
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by SWM   » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:45 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
SWM wrote:I agree that there must be clandestine ships going in and out of Darius (we've seen a few). But the intial shipments of cataphracts were almost certainly not produced at Darius. They were far more likely produced at Technodyne's manufacturing plants on Mesa. Technodyne developed the missile; they have the plans and have now shared them with the League. They didn't just get these missile designs from mysterious benefactors. It is certainly possible that Technodyne received hidden assistance from the Alignment, but Technodyne had to have done genuine R&D on it. Otherwise it would imply far too many people knowing things they shouldn't--R&D staffers, managers, plant workers, administrative assistants, and so on. There has to be a paper trail showing where they came from.

Not quite.

A Rising Thunder, Chapter 9 wrote:He'd been surprised Technodyne was supplying anything, given the legal firestorm still swirling around the huge arms manufacturer. But then he'd examined the new order a bit more closely and discovered that the "Technodyne" shipment had actually originated in the Mesa system.

Which was odd, since there was no Technodyne manufacturing facility in that system.

Technodyne did have a corporate headquarters on Mesa, so it might have made sense for shipping orders to originate there, but there was no way the missiles themselves should be coming from that star system. Not if they'd actually been built by Technodyne at least. Unless, perhaps, they were coming out of ammunition stockpiles already amassed by someone --- someone other than the Solarian League Navy --- in the aforesaid system.

See ToF, Chapters 50 and 58. The Cataphracts are clearly designed for the Mesan Alignment Navy (MAN), and there is no reason whatever why the MAlign would farm out manufacturing them when they've got a perfectly good arsenal planet of their own.

And if they were coming from Technodyne, why didn't the SLN know about them? The MAlign has a lot of reasons to not let the SLN know about a new generation of missiles, especially missiles that would validate the reports of the Manticoran's "impossible" powered range.

Okay, you got me on the lack of factories on Mesa. But the text also tells us that Technodyne has supplied the plans for the missile to the SLN and is manufacturing more. So they had to have those plans. You'd think that someone at Technodyne would notice if they were claiming to have created plans for a missile that never went through their R&D process.

Note the phrase "Unless, perhaps, they were coming out of ammunition stockpiles already amassed by someone --- someone other than the Solarian League Navy --- in the aforesaid system." It still seems to me likely that Technodyne did build the missiles, and they have been stockpiled on Mesa, just as Filareta hypothesized.

Mesa has farmed out lots of their R&D to companies they control. What do you think Manpower is? Manpower has been their biggest R&D supplier on genetics for hundreds of years.

As for why the SLN didn't know about them--Technodyne is not owned by the SLN. Technodyne has lots of R&D that the SLN doesn't know about. They didn't know about the pods or extended missiles that Technodyne produced, either, and we know for sure that those came from Technodyne.
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:26 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

SWM wrote:I agree that there must be clandestine ships going in and out of Darius (we've seen a few). But the intial shipments of cataphracts were almost certainly not produced at Darius. They were far more likely produced at Technodyne's manufacturing plants on Mesa. Technodyne developed the missile; they have the plans and have now shared them with the League. They didn't just get these missile designs from mysterious benefactors. It is certainly possible that Technodyne received hidden assistance from the Alignment, but Technodyne had to have done genuine R&D on it. Otherwise it would imply far too many people knowing things they shouldn't--R&D staffers, managers, plant workers, administrative assistants, and so on. There has to be a paper trail showing where they came from.

JohnRoth wrote:Not quite.

SWM wrote:Okay, you got me on the lack of factories on Mesa. But the text also tells us that Technodyne has supplied the plans for the missile to the SLN and is manufacturing more. So they had to have those plans. You'd think that someone at Technodyne would notice if they were claiming to have created plans for a missile that never went through their R&D process.

Note the phrase "Unless, perhaps, they were coming out of ammunition stockpiles already amassed by someone --- someone other than the Solarian League Navy --- in the aforesaid system." It still seems to me likely that Technodyne did build the missiles, and they have been stockpiled on Mesa, just as Filareta hypothesized.

Why stockpile them at Mesa? They'd simply have to go back through the Mesa-Visigoth hyperbridge to get to anywhere in the Solarian League. If you're going to manufacture and stockpile them anywhere while you're looking for a buyer, it makes sense simply keep them where you built them - unless there's a reason to think you'll need them somewhere else specific.

Now what possible future event might Mesa be thinking about that would need extended range missiles?

SWM wrote:Mesa has farmed out lots of their R&D to companies they control. What do you think Manpower is? Manpower has been their biggest R&D supplier on genetics for hundreds of years.

Let's think this through. The MAlign has its own arsenal planet that's presumably capable of manufacturing any required number of the things itself. The MAlign is actively trying to destabilize and destroy the League, after which anything that hasn't been folded into the loving arms of the RF will be roadkill. So what happens to Technodyne of Yildun? Yildun is not an RF member.

Case 1: Yildun gets folded into the RF. In this case, an inconvenient lack of paperwork can be made to vanish.

Case 2: Yildun gets trashed in the general chaos. Paperwork? Who cares?

Case 3: Yildun is pulled into the new Manticore-Haven orbit. The paperwork is irrelevant - Manticore and Haven know about the MAlign, and where the Catapracts came from is simply a detail of no great importance in the larger scheme of things.

The bottom line here is that the MAlign has its own arsenal planet, so they don't need Technodyne long term, just like they don't need Manpower long term. Presumably Darius has its own genetic research facilities, just like it has its own military research and development facilities.

So what I think is that Technodyne is something they're planning on sacrificing, and the legal troubles they are in over the Monica affair is simply a contingency that Detweiller and friends foresaw and are perfectly willing to allow. They don't need Technodyne, and it's bad strategy to plan on depending on it.

SWM wrote:As for why the SLN didn't know about them--Technodyne is not owned by the SLN. Technodyne has lots of R&D that the SLN doesn't know about. They didn't know about the pods or extended missiles that Technodyne produced, either, and we know for sure that those came from Technodyne.

Did they? We know that Technodyne provided them. I don't think we know that they designed and manufactured them.
Post by SWM   » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:30 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:So what I think is that Technodyne is something they're planning on sacrificing, and the legal troubles they are in over the Monica affair is simply a contingency that Detweiller and friends foresaw and are perfectly willing to allow. They don't need Technodyne, and it's bad strategy to plan on depending on it.

I absolutely agree that Technodyne is something the Alignment intends to sacrifice. Just like they sacrificed Manpower, Inc. and all of Mesa. That doesn't change the fact that they used Mesa, Manpower, and Technodyne while they could.

Return to Honorverse