Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThinksMarkedly and 152 guests

The Grand Alliance Grand Attack

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Grand Alliance Grand Attack
Post by Bill Woods   » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:51 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Hutch wrote:Just for the record, this was Captain (nee Admiral) Bachfisch during War of Honor.

Umm, she was born an admiral? I don't think so. ;)
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by Hutch   » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:
Hutch wrote:Just for the record, this was Captain (nee Admiral) Bachfisch during War of Honor.

Umm, she was born an admiral? I don't think so. ;)

)(*&&%^%$$ English language.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Technodyne doesn't have to produce them at Yilden. It could produce them at Mannerheim and have shipped them to any number of places. Of course there could be a production line at Yilden, we just don't know it.
That Filerta "knows" that Technodyne doesn't have manufacturing at Mesa does put a kink in the paperwork chain which gives us that look at his reasoning and wonder at where the missles and pods actually came from.
The Alignment is probably smart enough to have laid a false trail of development, design and building for these inovations in a place where it can deliver them to the SLN and other clients without involving Darius. Of course, if the Cataprhacts are going to be a major part of the weapons systems for the Alignment Navy, they would also have the primarly design and manufacturing at Darius.
This is what makes Mannheim a better bet than Yldien or at least an alternative source IF there is a Technodyne facility there. It puts the mfg of this system in what will become part of the RF but can be explained as Techodyne spreading alternitive manufacturing in a prudent business model.
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:38 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

As far as taking ships directly to Darius from anywhere, that is probably a really bad idea unless you are transshipping your cargo- people and goods- at some point where nobody will be able to exchange information.
There are a lot of freighters and transport ships. The cleanest way is to have two ships meet at some point in space well away from a star to make the swap. That does have the potential to raise some interesting speculation amoung people on at least the non-Alignment ship and set rumors going.
The next is to just meet either 1)in a system with some traffic (like where the Torch Frigates just raided the slaver base) and swap through a station or do a ship- to ship transfer or 2) meet at a wormhole terminus and do the same ship-to-ship swap.
This kind of swap or the variation where the goods are landed into bonded storage and then picked up for the next leg of transport or just done on a direct meeting must go on all the time. The whole idea of setting up trade routes and schedules is to facilitate the movement of cargo beyond a single point-to-point movement.

In most cases, even if the Darius ship is transfering an entire cargo to something that will be delivering it to a SLN formation, the ship in the next leg is going to have minimal contact with the Darius ship crew and there will be no way for them to know where it is actually from. Having some Mesa or other flagged ship take the goods on to the actual delivery buffers the transaction.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:04 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Hutch wrote:
Bill Woods wrote:Umm, she was born an admiral? I don't think so. ;)

)(*&&%^%$$ English language.

Um. nee is French :twisted:
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Hutch   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:18 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Hutch wrote:*&&%^%$$ English language.

fallsfromtrees wrote:Um. nee is French :twisted:

I've got two people on my list of "people who I am going to shoot in the face with a bazooka." You trying for number three? :twisted: 8-) 8-) :lol:

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by n7axw   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:13 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

wastedfly wrote:
n7axw wrote:Darius and its tech needs to be kept as isolated as possible. Too much traffic out of there and the routes become known.
Don

You could have a Trillion ships going in and out of Darius. No one would ever know. Thing called Hyperspace. Can go anywhere. No one has a clue where you are from or going to next. You cannot track through hyperspace.

Hi Wastedfly,

I was thinking of Bachfish's little adventure with those Republican destroyers. Then there was Wayfarer's encounter with those Peep BCs in Honor Among Enemies.

But still, if we modify your statement to say that tracking in hyper is more difficult and limited, you do have a valid point.

However, the security risk for those wormholes goes up with each additional ship that uses them. That, I suspect, is a variation on Murphy's law for anyone wanting to keep a secret. The more people who know, the more likely it becomes that someone will spill the beans.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by n7axw   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:52 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:

I've got two people on my list of "people who I am going to shoot in the face with a bazooka." You trying for number three? :twisted: 8-) 8-) :lol:

Just as long as you use the wet noodles... Deal's a deal, remember? :lol:

Don

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:14 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

n7axw wrote:

Hutch wrote:I've got two people on my list of "people who I am going to shoot in the face with a bazooka." You trying for number three? :twisted: 8-) 8-) :lol:

Just as long as you use the wet noodles... Deal's a deal, remember? :lol:

Don

Don

Beat me to it. I was going to ask about using only 39 wet noodles
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Hutch   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:40 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

n7axw wrote:Just as long as you use the wet noodles... Deal's a deal, remember? :lol:

Don

What, I'm suddenly an Erewhonese citizen all of a sudden?

Ok, wet noodles it is.

Return to Honorverse