Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 145 guests

The Grand Alliance Grand Attack

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Grand Alliance Grand Attack
Post by JeffEngel   » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:24 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi Rob,

A couple nits; the AE should have had 39 systems by 1920 PD, and keeping a lot of stuff to protect their yards against spider drive ships is unlikely to stop or reduce such an attack without being able to identify and track the attackers.

Maybe, maybe not. There's a "well, what else can we do?" response, which has something to it. There's the possibility that cranking up general vigilance will catch a lucky break: Grayson almost accidentally caught their component, although the good guys don't know that; and Manticore had a chance (albeit a small one) following normal procedure not knowing there was such a threat out there. And last, if they catch a way of maybe detecting those things - a technological trick that even just improves luck a bit - having sensor platforms far, far away reduces their opportunities to get lucky.

So while the IAN showing up soon at Mesa is a real possibility, there are too many other useful things they may be doing (including defending their homes directly) to make it a slam-dunk.
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:58 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:
lyonheart wrote:The whole point of moving them out of the SL's line of fire was for them to go take out Mesa.

Not quite. The point of moving the Andermani out of the League's line of fire was not for them to take out Mesa, but for them to go after the Alignment. Even at that time, they knew there was a difference. Going after Mesa is a reasonable step in going after the Alignment, but we don't know that the Andermani intended to take that particular step. It is possible they intended to go after the Alignment a different way.

Point. It also leaves the leadership of the League with a neutral who can provide a go-between if the Mandarins ever decide to stop shooting themselves in the foot, and decide to talk. And the Anderman Navy's numbers wouldn't have made any impression on Rajampet or his crowd of like-minded admirals.

The Andies also had restricted their anti-slavery efforts to their own space; I would guess that they might decide to enlarge that particular mission, and shake the bushes hard. Very hard.

YMMV,

Rob
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:53 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi MunroBurton,

I mentioned in the post you quoted that she could easily have had detachments going after the Visigoth terminus near Mesa and waiting for some to flee Mesa; so yes, that is definitely possible.

Again, Mike had 20 old SDP's and 2-3 squadrons of CLAC's with her, having left at least one squadron in Montana, plus 16 Nike BC's, if she took both squadrons to Mesa.

Can you imagine a CLAC [from Montana] appearing as a freighter in say, Seraphim or some other OFS victim etc, while DD's quietly watch [a DD having having its hyper footprint hidden by being very close to the CLAC's far larger footprint 'shadow'?], and CA's wait in hyper a couple of hours etc, before appearing to 'chase' the freighter?

L

munroburton wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:*quote="lyonheart"*Hi Rob,

A couple nits; the AE should have had 39 systems by 1920 PD, and keeping a lot of stuff to protect their yards against spider drive ships is unlikely to stop or reduce such an attack without being able to identify and track the attackers.

The whole point of moving them out of the SL's line of fire was for them to go take out Mesa.

Given time is of the essence, I suspect the IAN to have prepared quickly then left the empire somewhat obliquely to mask their targeting and travel to Mesa, without using wormholes, since those nearest Mesa would obviously be picketed by the MAlign.

The news we have of CoG is that there were only 12 SD sized footprints which is much less than the 20 SDP's and squadrons or three of CLAC's, NTM ammunition ships etc [bur evidently more SD's than the MAN or its friends has]; so I suspect Mike was again holding back much of her strength again to also strike at the Visigoth wormhole, as well as wait for some to attempt to escape before ringing down the forces blocking them.

Waiting for the details NTM snippets is going to be very hard.

L
*quote*

Several points here: first, the statement was "...a big hyper footprint - at least a dozen ships of the wall!" That doesn't give me a great deal of confidence that they waited to confirm and ID the ships before reporting to the General Board.

Second, she may well be attacking the wormhole simultaneously; that could be where the rest of the ships went.

Third, she is not going to make a simultaneous attack on Visigoth. Attacking through the wormhole is suicidal. Visigoth is 568 ly away from Mesa in the opposite direction from Meyers; she's not going to hold back attacking Mesa for part of her fleet to go that distance to attack Visigoth.

Additionally, when 10th Fleet invaded Meyers, it didn't come in one lump. Several detachments were left in hyper to pounce upon those attempting to flee the system. Mesa has considerably more traffic than Meyers and would require more ships assigned to this interception role, so whatever numbers the Mesans detected initially almost certainly are fewer than what they face, regardless of that foe being the IAN or 10th Fleet.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:09 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Sharkhunter,

So far as we now know, Scotty and the Alistair McKeon are still in Montana.

I don't expect Terekhov to 'return' to Montana anytime soon, since there's a lot of unfinished business on Mobius, NTM in the region.

By sending pairs of DD's to scout the adjacent systems, he can get some idea on how shaky the OFS is locally and where more where more possible MAlign supported insurrections might be occurring, that might be stop punched by some part of his TG, such as the Swallow system, while at least the other pair of Sag-C's remain in Mobius.

There have been other threads that have argued Mike will drop by Mobius to pick up Helen as Berry's successor [if not crown princess] as a potential leader figure for the Mesan seccies and slaves, since Mobius appears to be close to her route to Mesa.

Feel free to disagree, cause I did. :D

L

SharkHunter wrote:
Relax wrote:Does not Storm from the Shadows tell us exactly how many CLAC/SD Henke takes with her??? 2nd to last chapter IIRC.
Shadow of Freedom, last chapter. It says that Henke was going to take basically mostly leave her screen in place in the Madras sector other that what she's presumably already dispatched, and use her cruisers on up for something else.

I don't remember if Terekhov et. al are back from Mobius yet, and that's several of the ships, and some of her screen is going to stay behind in Meyers and in the Madras sector while she moves on Mesa. So "a minimum of twelve big hyper signatures" would be about right if they snuck a couple smaller ships such as a Sag-C (such as the HMS Alister McKeon, perhaps?) or two in from WAY out system for a peak at Mesan near space with recon drones, and then bring the big boys in in one fleet manuever. Thoughts?
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:21 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi JeffEngel,

Please reread Honor's conversation with Chein-lu, NTM Albrecht Detweiler's summary of what the smart thing for the GA and the AE to do what we just read etc, ie the AE not joining the GA AT THIS TIME, in order to attack Mesa ASAP.

Where else does the the GA have a clue the MAlign exists and can be found in large numbers except on Mesa?

Granted Anton was discovering it was leaving very quickly, but too late to let anyone else know.

So I'm curious where else you think the IAN might go that makes sense from what we know from the textev?

L

JeffEngel wrote:
lyonheart wrote:Hi Rob,

Maybe, maybe not. There's a "well, what else can we do?" response, which has something to it. There's the possibility that cranking up general vigilance will catch a lucky break: Grayson almost accidentally caught their component, although the good guys don't know that; and Manticore had a chance (albeit a small one) following normal procedure not knowing there was such a threat out there. And last, if they catch a way of maybe detecting those things - a technological trick that even just improves luck a bit - having sensor platforms far, far away reduces their opportunities to get lucky.

So while the IAN showing up soon at Mesa is a real possibility, there are too many other useful things they may be doing (including defending their homes directly) to make it a slam-dunk.
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:41 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Armed Neo-Bob,

Feel free to find another MAlign target mentioned in all the textev regarding what the IAN is going to do next.

Since the Mandarins aren't looking to end the conflict yet, this a rather weak argument.

While the SLN might know the IAN has 'only' around 400 SD's, I doubt it; but since the SLN apparently didn't consider any other navy worth watching or possibly countering in the first place, despite the fact the 4 largest Haven sector navies combined could have more active SD's than the whole BF before Filareta found his fortune, indicates how far from common sense if not their duty the SLN brass had strayed.

OTOH, given the IAN is only the fourth navy with SDP's [~200] including dozens of Apollo's, the idea they're all sticking close to home to run down slavers or out of fear is a bit of a stretch.

Again personally, given RFC's humor, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out it was Chien-lu that arrived first. 8-)

L

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
SWM wrote:*quote="lyonheart"*
The whole point of moving them out of the SL's line of fire was for them to go take out Mesa.*quote*
Not quite. The point of moving the Andermani out of the League's line of fire was not for them to take out Mesa, but for them to go after the Alignment. Even at that time, they knew there was a difference. Going after Mesa is a reasonable step in going after the Alignment, but we don't know that the Andermani intended to take that particular step. It is possible they intended to go after the Alignment a different way.

Point. It also leaves the leadership of the League with a neutral who can provide a go-between if the Mandarins ever decide to stop shooting themselves in the foot, and decide to talk. And the Anderman Navy's numbers wouldn't have made any impression on Rajampet or his crowd of like-minded admirals.

The Andies also had restricted their anti-slavery efforts to their own space; I would guess that they might decide to enlarge that particular mission, and shake the bushes hard. Very hard.

YMMV,

Rob
Post by JeffEngel   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:11 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi JeffEngel,

Please reread Honor's conversation with Chein-lu, NTM Albrecht Detweiler's summary of what the smart thing for the GA and the AE to do what we just read etc, ie the AE not joining the GA AT THIS TIME, in order to attack Mesa ASAP.

Where else does the the GA have a clue the MAlign exists and can be found in large numbers except on Mesa?

Granted Anton was discovering it was leaving very quickly, but too late to let anyone else know.

So I'm curious where else you think the IAN might go that makes sense from what we know from the textev?

L

I'm quite open to them having ideas that haven't made it to text. It's a big universe. We're all biased toward answers we can fill in, as if no other planets, people, officers but those we've read exist. Beyond that, the Andermani have their own intelligence network and it has by no means been integrated with Manticore's, nor has Admiral Alexander-Harrington any need to know about anything they may come up with.

And Honor's assurance (with caveats) to Anton rests on Mike's timetable. If she had one that was even more optimistic for the IAN to Mesa - even if it were less certain but much likely much sooner with that proviso - it would plausibly have been the centerpiece of the discussion, or at least in there. Security concerns for her sharing it may have applied, but that didn't stop her revealing a very hush-hush bit about Mike's itinerary.

I'm not saying that the IAN isn't on the way to Mesa. I'm just cautioning against being certain that they are because we can't think of anything better for them to do.
Post by Hutch   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:22 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

I think the whole question comes down to the number of ships detected.

We know from textev in Shadow of Freedom that Mike Henke had 20 Keyhole 1 SD(P)'s and 20 CLAC's assigned to 10th fleet, which she split into two task forces (at Montana and Tillerman). She took (by textev), all the SD's and half the CLAC's she had at Montana to Tillerman at the same time she sent Therekov off to Mobius.

The Sollie at Meyers (PO Coker) reported 28 SD-sized ships, so it appears that Mike left some heavies at Tillerman (my guess is 5 SD(P)'s and 2 CLAC's), giving her a force of 15 SD(P)'s and 13 CLAC's at Meyers. And per textev she intended to take all of them to Mesa with her.

In Cauldron of Ghosts, the flunky reporting the contact to the Mesan leadership said "Sir, Perimeter Tracking just reported a hyper footprint. A big hyper footprint—at least a dozen ships-of-the-wall!”

So...this leads to several options....

1. The smaller force is actually the Andies.
2. Mike has deployed/is deploying her other ships..elsewhere (wormhole terminus)?
3. The initial report is sketchy and came from several people reporting it to each other, so the information content may have slipped.
4. The MWW may have gotten his math wrong again on ship deployments (he does that, which drives a bean-counter like me crazy.
5. Or he has something totally out of left field that he is going to pull on us.

We shall see, eventually.
Last edited by Hutch on Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:38 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Hutch wrote:snip

2. Mike has deployed/is deploying her other ships..elsewhere (wormhole terminus?
3. The initial report is sketchy and came from several people reporting it to each other, so the information content may have slipped.
4. The MWW may have gotten his math wrong again on ship deployments (he does that, which drives a bean-counter like me crazy.
5. Or he has something totally out of left field that he is going to pull on us.

my bold

How about a Solly task force looking to use the Mesa ~ Visigoth wormhole in the hope of getting somewhere that somebody knows is a back door to the Haven quadrant.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :oops:
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by JeffEngel   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:45 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
Hutch wrote:snip

2. Mike has deployed/is deploying her other ships..elsewhere (wormhole terminus?

my bold

How about a Solly task force looking to use the Mesa ~ Visigoth wormhole in the hope of getting somewhere that somebody knows is a back door to the Haven quadrant.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :oops:

Wouldn't lead to Drescher calling for a ceasefire; the SLN wouldn't know of any secret backdoors into the Haven sector, and the Alignment certainly wouldn't be telling them; and - this one's a little hazier - but someone going to the wormhole wouldn't be coming over the system hyperlimit at all.

That last does suggest a possibility for the "missing" waller-range units: seizing the wormhole terminus at about the same time. Another is as a reserve kept in hyper.

Return to Honorverse