Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

Genkis latest Honorverse cover

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Genkis latest Honorverse cover
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:59 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Genkis wrote:

Since when has conformance to the text ever bothered an artist in the throes of creativity when doing a book cover?[/quote]

When you create a cover you have several possibilities
- You can illustrate one specific scene
- try to (re)create the atmosphere of the novel (only if the illustrator read it, lots of us don't read books before they illustrate it because they don't have enough time,)
- or make something completly free in order o make something cool even if it doesn't represent the story(many covers are done this way)

I choose to make a mix between the two first option. I always read the book (except 2 or 3 novels when the deadline was too close). So I take an important scene, or two, I make a mix between them. And I try to show the atmosphere of the book. I won't draw a kiss between two characters if it's a story about an epic battle for example ;)
[/quote]
My apologies if you took my humorous jest as a denigration of your work. You are clearly an artist of great talent, and I find your work exceptional. It is just that I seen all too many book covers where the artist clearly used option 3.

Again, my apologies if I have offended you.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Genkis   » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Genkis
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Oh no, you didn't offend me. Why should I be offended ? You weren't rude or anything like that :)
Don't worry.
I wanted to answer to your question and, by the way, it was just a good occasion to explain few things.

And I was about to add a last thing in my previous message.
The illustrator is not the only guy who decide. He has to follow his publisher's wishes. Because the publisher is the boss in fact ;)
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:19 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Genkis wrote:And I was about to add a last thing in my previous message.
The illustrator is not the only guy who decide. He has to follow his publisher's wishes. Because the publisher is the boss in fact ;)

I suspect that has more to do with the selection of option 3 by the artist than any choice the artist may have wanted to make.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Genkis   » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:24 pm

Genkis

Yes, the third choice is a decision of the publisher.

Mine wants me to stay close to the story. And I agree with him.
But sometimes they ask me to change few things. But I have to be honest, I love this publisher. They let me a lot of freedom in my work, they always listen to my opinion, we have discussions about the stories between them, me and the translator... So it's very interesting to work with them.
Post by isaac_newton   » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:33 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Genkis wrote:Yes, the third choice is a decision of the publisher.

Mine wants me to stay close to the story. And I agree with him.
But sometimes they ask me to change few things. But I have to be honest, I love this publisher. They let me a lot of freedom in my work, they always listen to my opinion, we have discussions about the stories between them, me and the translator... So it's very interesting to work with them.

These are really good indeed. I'd love to see them on a row of hard backs - in my bookshelf of course :-)

I especially like Honor's face in 'Honor among enemies 2' - very much how I had envisaged her.
http://genkkis.deviantart.com/art/Honor-Harrington-Ashes-of-Victory-494290758#/art/Honor-among-enemies-2-322794058?_sid=6b9e7611
Post by Hutch   » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:36 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Genkis, I just looked at the cover for "The Short Victorious War", and that just may be the best full-faced picture of Honor Harrington I've ever seen. IMHO of course.

That is how I will picture her in the future as I read and re-read this series.

Thank you.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Genkis   » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Genkis

Cool :)
Usually, people like the face of Honorverse on these illustrations (Honor among enemies 1 & 2):
http://genkkis.deviantart.com/art/Honor ... -322794058

http://genkkis.deviantart.com/art/Honor ... -283602266

But if you prefer this one, well, I don't have any objection ;)
Post by dreamrider   » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:20 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Genkis wrote:Cool :)
Usually, people like the face of Honorverse on these illustrations (Honor among enemies 1 & 2):
http://genkkis.deviantart.com/art/Honor ... -322794058

http://genkkis.deviantart.com/art/Honor ... -283602266

But if you prefer this one, well, I don't have any objection ;)

I can't wait to see roseandheather's opinion of these visualizations. :geek:

dreamrider
(In my mind the are Great, btw.)
Post by Genkis   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:23 am

Genkis

Maybe my English is not good enough, or something else, but I don't know what you mean by "roseandheather's opinion"
Post by pokermind   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:03 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Genkis wrote:Maybe my English is not good enough, or something else, but I don't know what you mean by "roseandheather's opinion"

Roseandheather is another poster's site name, and she has very strong opinions on things Honor. ;)

Viva la deferance, mon ami.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.

Return to Honorverse