Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 112 guests

Honorcon 2014--The report thread

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Honorcon 2014--The report thread
Post by Hutch   » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

So, this thread is for any and all attendees that are members of this Forum to report/discuss/view with alarm anything we find out during Honorcon.

Anyway, I am here, at a nice hotel--it's a 4-pillow per bed hotel (these is a correlation between number of pillows/room cost) and there are a few souls wandering about.

Just to be contrary (and because my re-read schedule was up to it), I've got 1636: The Saxon Uprising as my down-time read, albeit that is enough to have been recognized by a couple of other attendees as a fellow Weberite.

Activities do not start until 3PM tomorrow, so plenty of time to goof off (I've worked for the US Government for 33 years, I'm good at goofing off....)

Hope to meetup with kzt, JohnathanS and dreamrider for lunch tomorrow.

I'll post as I get the chance.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Re: Honorcon 2014--The report thread
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:58 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

I wish I could have made it this year. Being unemployed for 10 months, and then moving to SC killed any chance of going. At least I'm working now, which is another reason I couldn't go - too busy.

Hopefully, next year will be better in terms of finances and I'll be able to go. Maybe it'll even move back to Greenville, which is about 15-20 minutes from where I live.
Post by kzt   » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:32 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:Hope to meetup with kzt, JohnathanS and dreamrider for lunch tomorrow.

This time I'm actually on the flight to the con, so it looking good for that. Where did you want to meet anyhow?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:54 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:Hope to meetup with kzt, JohnathanS and dreamrider for lunch tomorrow.
Looking forward to that. Not so much looking forward to hopping in the car well before 7am in order to make it by lunch :D
Post by Hutch   » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:35 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

kzt wrote:

This time I'm actually on the flight to the con, so it looking good for that. Where did you want to meet anyhow?

If you have the chance to read this, about 1115 down by the front door. I have a T-shirt regarding Asteroids, 3 buttions, and a copy of Eric's Flint `1636: The Saxon Uprising.

Also, the key cards I got for my room are labeled HONROCON 2014, and have a 'spacey' backgroud that looks something like our French cover artists' work (probably isn't, but you get the idea.

Hotel is starting to fill up and I saw the MWW arrive about 0900. Registration is still pending.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by kzt   » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:40 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:If you have the chance to read this, about 1115 down by the front door. I have a T-shirt regarding Asteroids, 3 buttions, and a copy of Eric's Flint `1636: The Saxon Uprising.

I was helping my friends set in in the dealer room, so I guess I missed you.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:45 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

And now we've walked over to the Bahama breeze for lunch - so kzt head over when you get a chance
Post by Hutch   » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:05 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

And so it begins....

Had a very nice lunch with Johnathan S, dreamrider, and a late-arriving kzt. All of them very knowledgeable about things outside the Honorverse and a good 1.5 hours with excellent service at the Bahama Breeze.

There was only a few panels/presentations today, the one I attended was "Honorverse Strategic Overview, or How Manticore Won the War. Mostly a review of the first war based on the views of men who had military backgrounds and had attended the Naval War College. It was powerpoint and I didn't have a pen to take notes, but basically it summed up the advantages the Manties had (above and beyond Honor) and noted that the PRH had a stragety (take Manticore) and tactics (fight battles) but not Objectives (a coherent campaign to fight an enemy on multiple fronts over an extended period of time). I think we here could argue that, and all 4 of us (kzt, dreamrider, JohnathanS and yours truly) got our comments in, but an hour was simply not long enough to do this discussion justice.

I'll leave it any of the others to mention other programs they attended or any other comments they made.

Best T-shirt of the Con so far: Keep Calm and Roll Pods with a warship above the writing. Priceless.

Resuming at 0900 Saturday with hopefully more to come (lots of registrations still to go, probably for Sat-Sun only attendees.

Only bad note was that the coins and T-shirts were not ready and will have to be sent to us.

Post by kzt   » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:11 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

David has said, at least 3 times that I heard, that the current Honor Harrington storyline is over with the next two books. If if gets picked up it will be in 25+ years ahead in the timeline.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:52 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

I found it interesting in the RMN then and now panel (contrasting Travis Long's navy with Honor Harrington's) that RFC was saying basically that while he was involved in the Manticore Ascendant books that he was largely just enjoying seeing how Tom Pope (BuNine) and Timothy Zahn fleshed out that much earlier era.

RFC also compared the rapid tech developments, and their impact on ship design to the sadly US steel navy; where multiple classes were designed and laid down before any preceding classes were commissioned. So not only were they designed with new tech against an untested theory; but you didn't even have real world feedback of how they worked even in peacetime.

Return to Honorverse