Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 157 guests

So...Who Dies next?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: So...Who Dies next?
Post by Hutch   » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:36 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Kater wrote:Mi first pick for a deth sentece is Protector Benjamin Mayhew.

natural causes

Option for a new plotline about the sucession and further politics of Grayson

Yeah, what I was thinking. His son (and heir) is still to young to take over the Protectorship, Howard Clinkscales and Wesley Mathews are dead and his new staff (replacing those lost in the Masadan/PRH attack) is still rather raw compared to men whom had been dealing with the Steadholders for many years.

So whom do we get as a "Lord Protector" for young Bernard Mayhew? His uncle Michael would be the logical choice, perhaps the only one, but maybe he doesn't want to do it. Honor would be a possibility, but as she told Yanakov, you're not getting her off the bridge while those who slaughtered so many of her family still breathe.

Still, unless something happens, I think Benjamin Mayhew will make it through the MAlignment War. In a way, if RFC had stayed his original course and killed off Honor in AAC, it would have been interesting watching Bernard Mayhew interact with his contemporaries--Faith, James, Raoul and Katherine.

In another universe I'd enjoy reading those stories...
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Brigade XO   » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:09 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

How about Albrect Detweiler?
His wife is working on weaponizing nanotech and perhaps actual virus strains. So Albrect (and she ) get killed by something she brings home by mistake. For at least a short while, the core of the Onion will go apeshit trying to find out who did the assasination and who is next. Might even disrupt the leadership long enough to have them make a few more mistakes and change more plans on the fly leading to further compromises in security.
Heck, someone may actually be managing a sucessfull (or at least an attempted) assination and that will start a major witch-hunt. Those perfect cloned security personel who are bodyguards to the inner layer would make a credable threat and have the best opportunity. They are NOT stupid and may discover that they really don't like being locked in as disposable shields for the Alpha lines.
Post by Direwolf18   » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:34 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

How is Horace and Scotty still alive?

I'm trying to think, but at this point its them, Mac, and Rafe Cardones who were alive at On Basalisk Station and actually kept appearing in the series on a regular basis.
Post by dreamrider   » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:32 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Hutch wrote:
Kater wrote:Mi first pick for a deth sentece is Protector Benjamin Mayhew.

natural causes

Option for a new plotline about the sucession and further politics of Grayson

Yeah, what I was thinking. His son (and heir) is still to young to take over the Protectorship, Howard Clinkscales and Wesley Mathews are dead and his new staff (replacing those lost in the Masadan/PRH attack) is still rather raw compared to men whom had been dealing with the Steadholders for many years.

So whom do we get as a "Lord Protector" for young Bernard Mayhew? His uncle Michael would be the logical choice, perhaps the only one, but maybe he doesn't want to do it. Honor would be a possibility, but as she told Yanakov, you're not getting her off the bridge while those who slaughtered so many of her family still breathe.

Still, unless something happens, I think Benjamin Mayhew will make it through the MAlignment War. In a way, if RFC had stayed his original course and killed off Honor in AAC, it would have been interesting watching Bernard Mayhew interact with his contemporaries--Faith, James, Raoul and Katherine.

In another universe I'd enjoy reading those stories...

I have often thought that David's exit strategy for Honor, as the MAlign War starts devolving, may be the death of Benjamin...with him naming Honor as Protector Regent.
Post by n7axw   » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:32 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

What I would find most satisfying for Honor to be on the command deck as admiral of the fleet that calls the Alignment to account for the Yawata Strike which killed so much of her family.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by dreamrider   » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:50 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:What I would find most satisfying for Honor to be on the command deck as admiral of the fleet that calls the Alignment to account for the Yawata Strike which killed so much of her family.

Don

I don't think that will be a singular event, nor a complete one, based on David's history of 'resolving history historically'. (Example: BoMA was NOT the end of the RoH, or the RHN.)

However, I feel certain that Honor will be present on A command deck for at least one of the decisive confrontations with the MAlign...

...unless Benjamin dies and she is called home, just a bit too soon, to take up the Regency.

That approach of 'the higher duty calls' also has a solid ring of 'Davidness' about it. And recall - Honor is in many ways an analog of Nelson, and one of her favorite roles is as teacher/mentor. So...if Michelle is there, if Alice is there, and Scott, and Rafe, and Abigail, and Helen are there, if the P.O. is there and 8th Fleet...then HONOR IS there.

dreamrider
Post by Annachie   » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:45 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Maybe not Honor, but Emily as reagent.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by lyonheart   » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:47 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Brigade XO,

I've often thought one of his 'sons' will do it when he or they realise just how inept he's been as a decision maker.

It might be amusing if the binary poison were administered by two different sons, and provided by his wife! :D

Nothing in the textev so far rules that that out. ;)

Reprogramming the personal guards also works for me.:lol:

L

Brigade XO wrote:How about Albrect Detweiler?
His wife is working on weaponizing nanotech and perhaps actual virus strains. So Albrect (and she ) get killed by something she brings home by mistake. For at least a short while, the core of the Onion will go apeshit trying to find out who did the assasination and who is next. Might even disrupt the leadership long enough to have them make a few more mistakes and change more plans on the fly leading to further compromises in security.
Heck, someone may actually be managing a sucessfull (or at least an attempted) assination and that will start a major witch-hunt. Those perfect cloned security personel who are bodyguards to the inner layer would make a credable threat and have the best opportunity. They are NOT stupid and may discover that they really don't like being locked in as disposable shields for the Alpha lines.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:02 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

dreamrider wrote:I have often thought that David's exit strategy for Honor, as the MAlign War starts devolving, may be the death of Benjamin...with him naming Honor as Protector Regent.

If Honor becomes Protector Regent, then 'who dies next' would be over fifty percent of the Keys from a domino effect caused by a sudden string of apoplectic fits.

Last edited by cthia on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:18 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

dreamrider wrote:
n7axw wrote:What I would find most satisfying for Honor to be on the command deck as admiral of the fleet that calls the Alignment to account for the Yawata Strike which killed so much of her family.

Don

I don't think that will be a singular event, nor a complete one, based on David's history of 'resolving history historically'. (Example: BoMA was NOT the end of the RoH, or the RHN.)

However, I feel certain that Honor will be present on A command deck for at least one of the decisive confrontations with the MAlign...

...unless Benjamin dies and she is called home, just a bit too soon, to take up the Regency.

That approach of 'the higher duty calls' also has a solid ring of 'Davidness' about it. And recall - Honor is in many ways an analog of Nelson, and one of her favorite roles is as teacher/mentor. So...if Michelle is there, if Alice is there, and Scott, and Rafe, and Abigail, and Helen are there, if the P.O. is there and 8th Fleet...then HONOR IS there.

dreamrider

I don't see Honor going to Grayson to act as regent. That would be Michael Mayhew's role... For one thing, it would be too divisive. But wouldn't it be delicious to see some of the conservatives carried off in apoplexy?

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Honorverse