Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S, ThinksMarkedly and 144 guests

So...Who Dies next?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
So...Who Dies next?
Post by Hutch   » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:32 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I know, real uplifting title there, Hutch...but considering we're near Halloween and have all the horror movies playing, when else could I post this?

Think, the MWW has never been shy about killing off his "good guys" when the plot demands it, as he did in AAC (Giscard, McKeon, Jamie Candless) and MoH (Miranda and Farragut, Andrew (that one hurt), and Wesley Mathews). The last couple of books haven't given much chance for that, given the disparity of weapons, but with the MAlignment about to take the field and the expectation that at first their stealthed craft will take their toll, it wouldn't surprise me to see one or more major character shuffle off the mortal coil.

So, at the risk of giving Roseandheather a need for a long visit to a good pub, here are my thoughts on this most grim of topics:

Rafe Cordones: We've already lost two members of "Honor's Harem" from the first book (Alistar McKeon and Andreas Venizelos), and Rafe is due to get Commordore's rank soon and take a Division of ships in harms' way, so it seems possible.

Mike Henke: The woman keeps flying into battles, and the chances are something may catch up with her one day. The MAlignment surely would take a great deal of interest in her demise...

Tom Theisman: Yeah, he'll probably be more behind the scenes now, but the possibility of an assisination attempt (perhaps not directed at him but he dies stopping it) cannot be discounted.

Emily: It would clear up the marriage picture, but I'd just as soon cure Emily than kill her.

Khumalo: He's still commanding from an ancient SD, Mike has taken most of the combat strength from Talbott, and just one Shark-class ship...

Queen Elizabeth II: I still think the wedding of Roger and Rivka was a portent of things to come...or not.

Victor Chachat: I must admit to being a bit surprised that Victor didn't die in Cauldron of Ghosts...he is Eric Flint's creation after all and Eric is pretty much out of the Honorverse at this time. But he still goes in harm's way way more than most of the characters'do and he is still on Mesa at last report.

Benjamin Mayhew: ART mentions how much older he looks, and while he should still have many years left, he is reaching the age where something sudden could strike, givne the toxic planet he lives on--and he still has enemies (Masadans and Steadholders) who wouldn't mind seeing him dead.

Eloise Prichard:[/b] As mentioned above, I can certainly see an assisination attempt by those either still loyal to the PRH or those like Younger who want to seize power within the new RH.

James McGuiness: Rumor has it that he has a 'get out of being killed off" card from Mrs. RFC, but with all the battles he has survived with Honor, you just wonder....

OK, that should give everyone a frown for the morning.... :twisted: What do you think?
Last edited by Hutch on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Re: So...Who Dies next?
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:47 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Hutch wrote:Yeah, I know, real uplifting title there, Hutch...but considering we're near Halloween and have all the horror movies playing, when else could I post this?

Think, the MWW has never been shy about killing off his "good guys" when the plot demands it, as he did in AAC (Giscard, McKeon, Jamie Candless) and MoH (Miranda and Farragut, Andrew (that one hurt), and Wesley Mathews). The last couple of books haven't given much chance for that, given the disparity of weapons, but with the MAlignment about to take the field and the expectation that at first their stealthed craft will take their toll, it wouldn't surprise me to see one or more major character shuffle off the mortal coil.

So, at the risk of giving Roseandheather a need for a long visit to a good pub, here are my thoughts on this most grim of topics:

Rafe Cordones: We've already lost two members of "Honor's Harem" from the first book (Alistar McKeon and Andreas Venizelos), and Rafe is due to get Commordore's rank soon and take a Division of ships in harms' way, so it seems possible.

Mike Henke: The woman keeps flying into battles, and the chances are something may catch up with her one day. The MAlignment surely would take a great deal of interest in her demise...

Tom Theisman: Yeah, he'll probably be more behind the scenes now, but the possibility of an assisination attempt (perhaps not directed at him but he dies stopping it) cannot be discounted.

Emily: It would clear up the marriage picture, but I'd just as soon cure Emily than kill her.

Khumalo: He's still commanding from an ancient SD, Mike has taken most of the combat strength from Talbott, and just one Shark-class ship...

Queen Elizabeth II: I still think the wedding of Roger and Rivka was a portent of things to come...or not.

Victor Chachat: I must admit to being a bit surprised that Victor didn't die in Cauldron of Ghosts...he is Eric Flint's creation after all and Eric is pretty much out of the Honorverse at this time. But he still goes in harm's way way more than most of the characters'do and he is still on Mesa at last report.

Benjamin Mayhew: ART mentions how much older he looks, and while he should still have many years left, he is reaching the age where something sudden could strike, givne the toxic planet he lives on--and he still has enemies (Masadans and Steadholders) who wouldn't mind seeing him dead.

Elaine Prichard: As mentioned above, I can certainly see an assisination attempt by those either still loyal to the PRH or those like Younger who want to seize power within the new RH.

James McGuiness: Rumor has it that he has a 'get out of being killed off" card from Mrs. RFC, but with all the battles he has survived with Honor, you just wonder....

OK, that should give everyone a frown for the morning.... :twisted: What do you think?

I hate you and everything you stand for.

Now get me a bottle of vodka. Straight up.

(By the way, I don't know who this "Elaine Prichard" character is, but if you're suggesting that my Eloise is facing an imminent demise, I suggest you start running. Very, very fast. Let's not even discuss the other half-dozen or so of my loves who are on that list...)

Now where's that damn vodka??

*collapses in tears*
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by n7axw   » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:55 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I think I wanna join you at that pub! :D

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:58 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Sorry Hutch, but you left one off the list. Happens to be my choice of most likely to die ...

Somehow, the Mesan Alignment will be responsible for the death of Klaus Hauptman.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SWM   » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:59 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Sorry Hutch, but you left one off the list. Happens to be my choice of most likely to die ...

Somehow, the Mesan Alignment will be responsible for the death of Klaus Hauptman.

That would be an interesting accident. The Detweilers have already decided that they cannot afford to kill Hauptman, given who one of his heirs is. I can just imagine Detweiler smacking his head D'oh!
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:
cthia wrote:
Sorry Hutch, but you left one off the list. Happens to be my choice of most likely to die ...

That would be an interesting accident. The Detweilers have already decided that they cannot afford to kill Hauptman, given who one of his heirs is. I can just imagine Detweiler smacking his head D'oh!

I know SWM, you don't have to side with my niece ya know. :(

I think they're going to hire a hairdresser or something to spray some sweet smelling perfume on Stacy while she's getting her hair and a manicure done. Stacy will kill her father, then fall apart at the knowledge of it. That will be two Hauptman's for the price of one.

Edit:
So far, afaik, no Mesan nanny assassin has been taken alive. Am I correct? No assassin has yet survived? Stacy will be the first ... physically anyways.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Hutch   » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:33 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote: I know SWM, you don't have to side with my niece ya know. :(

I think they're going to hire a hairdresser or something to spray some sweet smelling perfume on Stacy while she's getting her hair and a manicure done. Stacy will kill her father, then fall apart at the knowledge of it. That will be two Hauptman's for the price of one.

Edit:
So far, afaik, no Mesan nanny assassin has been taken alive. Am I correct? No assassin has yet survived? Stacy will be the first ... physically anyways.

Well, the problem there cthia, is if Klaus is dead and Stacy incapacitated, then the Hauptman forture will be in the care of....Skydomes of Grayson--and we all know who owns that....I think that is what SWM is referring to.

As for a nanotech killer surviving, no, I don't think any have...IIRC the nannies will dissolve soon after the action is taken, but having someone survive (and maybe get their fluids tested prior to the nannies dissolving) is a risk I think the MAlignment won't take, IMHO.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Hutch   » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:39 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

roseandheather wrote:I hate you and everything you stand for.

I'm actually a pretty nice guy, with a slight twist--I think I'd get along with Victor (couldn't do what he does, but we'd get along).

Now get me a bottle of vodka. Straight up.

Sorry, I am a bit of a teetotaler...only things in my refrigerator now are Pepsi and Cherry-flavored Kool-Aid.

(By the way, I don't know who this "Elaine Prichard" character is, but if you're suggesting that my Eloise is facing an imminent demise, I suggest you start running. Very, very fast. Let's not even discuss the other half-dozen or so of my loves who are on that list...)

Yeah, posting in the morning before my 3 brain cells are fully functional....and I was built for comfort, not speed, so I guess I'll be happy that I have until 2017 for you to forget...

Now where's that damn vodka??

*collapses in tears*

My work here is done.... 8-) ;) ;)

Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:58 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:
cthia wrote:

I know SWM, you don't have to side with my niece ya know. :(

Edit:

Well, the problem there cthia, is if Klaus is dead and Stacy incapacitated, then the Hauptman forture will be in the care of....Skydomes of Grayson--and we all know who owns that....I think that is what SWM is referring to.

As for a nanotech killer surviving, no, I don't think any have...IIRC the nannies will dissolve soon after the action is taken, but having someone survive (and maybe get their fluids tested prior to the nannies dissolving) is a risk I think the MAlignment won't take, IMHO.

Yes, someone posted it some time ago about Honor inheriting the fortune. Tierney, niece, pointed it out, which I missed. And I know I'm being stubborn about this, but somehow I feel one of the Hauptmans are going to buy the farm. I choose Klaus, 'cause he doesn't wear a skirt.

My niece and I have gone back and forth on this. She does agree on a possible slant. Klaus could accidentally die, like Giancola-mess/aircar accident. It'll be on the up and up. A true accident, but unprovable in any way. Suspicion runs amok.

Besides, I just don't want anyone else to die. Klaus is expendable. Sorry Klaus, Stacy.

Edit:
Of course, RFC's using the Detweiler excuse of why they can't kill Hauptman being a warning to readers, notwithstanding.

Post by SWM   » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:52 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Oh, I'm not saying it couldn't happen. It's not implausible at all. I'm just picturing a big Detweiler headsmack if it does. :)
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine

Return to Honorverse