Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 138 guests

How much of the honorverse is based on les miserables

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
How much of the honorverse is based on les miserables
Post by BrigadeΔ   » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:15 pm

BrigadeΔ
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I have noticed a few things recently,
1) saint just and robespierre are in the french revolution and described in the book
2) victor cachet is an Inspector Javier who is slightly less obsessive and more approachable
3) victor Hugo takes 2 full chapters in the middle of the book to describe waterloo ( battle of manticore maybe)
And more importantly, does this make eloise pritchard napolean :D
Re: How much of the honorverse is based on les miserables
Post by JohnRoth   » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:54 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

BrigadeΔ wrote:I have noticed a few things recently,
1) saint just and robespierre are in the french revolution and described in the book
2) victor cachet is an Inspector Javier who is slightly less obsessive and more approachable
3) victor Hugo takes 2 full chapters in the middle of the book to describe waterloo ( battle of manticore maybe)

As far as I'm aware, none of it, although RFC would have to give a definitive answer. I'm told that Jim Baen's reaction to the series proposal was "Horatio Hornblower in Spaaaaaace!" A large part of the first books were modeled on the French Revolution, but it has gone off those tracks some time ago.

Victor Cachet is Eric Flint's character, not RFC's, and I have no idea where Eric got him. The last I looked, TVTropes has Victor classified as an author avatar.
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:26 am

roseandheather
Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
BrigadeΔ wrote:I have noticed a few things recently,

As far as I'm aware, none of it, although RFC would have to give a definitive answer. I'm told that Jim Baen's reaction to the series proposal was "Horatio Hornblower in Spaaaaaace!" A large part of the first books were modeled on the French Revolution, but it has gone off those tracks some time ago.

Victor Cachet is Eric Flint's character, not RFC's, and I have no idea where Eric got him. The last I looked, TVTropes has Victor classified as an author avatar.

Ding ding, you would be correct. Les Mis isn't actually about the French Revolution at all - it's about the 1832 June Rebellion, nearly thirty years after Robespierre &c.

Haven's early story arc is based extremely closely on the French Revolution, however - as that's when the Hornblower novels are chiefly set. In fact, you pretty much know exactly what's going to happen in Haven for the first eight books - then somebody nukes Napoleon (McQueen) and all bets are off.

None of this, you'll note, stops "Do You Hear the People Sing?" from being the most apropos anthem for Haven in the history of everything. :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by dreamrider   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:54 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Ok, rnh, I have to ask...

Do you have filked lyrics?

dreamrider
Post by GofyTomcat1   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:13 pm

GofyTomcat1
Commander

dreamrider wrote:Ok, rnh, I have to ask...

dreamrider

We made an entire thread about Les Mis and HH somewhere on this forum (She and I collaborated)
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:51 am

roseandheather
Admiral

GofyTomcat1 wrote:
dreamrider wrote:Ok, rnh, I have to ask...

dreamrider

We made an entire thread about Les Mis and HH somewhere on this forum (She and I collaborated)

Oh, dreamrider, you should know this by now.

Gofy and I always have filked lyrics. :twisted:

In this case, we've Honorfied most of the show. :mrgreen:

Here's the link.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."

Return to Honorverse