Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests

Point of View: Wishes and Likes

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Point of View: Wishes and Likes
Post by munroburton   » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:43 am

munroburton
Admiral

cthia wrote:I don't care who actually uses the tactic, friend or foe. Or even what scenario may bring about the need of such a tactic. I'd only like to see it used advantageously and ruthlessly.

My quirky brain can imagine that any scenario that might shove the tactic on the table would be very interesting. Not to say a reader's delight in excitement. IMO.

The only thing I can think of is another defender's tactic - sending a pile of ships as a spoiling 'attack' to throw off an attacker's planned transit time. Unfortunately, those ships would require at least some crews and they would be destroyed or surrendered. And advance knowledge of an enemy transit.

There's no getting what you're asking for - any potential attacker inevitably holds the far side of a bridge automatically denies normal usage of said bridge. There is no way for blocking of that bridge to affect any other bridges.

And even Manticore, with the biggest known Junction(hence allowing the largest possible mass transits and the longest lock-down times) can only be locked for a maximum of seventeen hours, at a cost of two hundred million tons of shipping. That's at a cost of 25 SDs or large freighters thrown into the defenders' waiting jaws, unable to retreat. For 17 hours.

By all accounts, RFC carefully set the Honorverse up to prevent any duplication of Starfire's warp point mechanics. Hyperspace was the big one, but how the wormholes work is also far more limited.
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:00 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

munroburton wrote:
cthia wrote:I don't care who actually uses the tactic, friend or foe. Or even what scenario may bring about the need of such a tactic. I'd only like to see it used advantageously and ruthlessly.

My quirky brain can imagine that any scenario that might shove the tactic on the table would be very interesting. Not to say a reader's delight in excitement. IMO.

The only thing I can think of is another defender's tactic - sending a pile of ships as a spoiling 'attack' to throw off an attacker's planned transit time. Unfortunately, those ships would require at least some crews and they would be destroyed or surrendered. And advance knowledge of an enemy transit.

There's no getting what you're asking for - any potential attacker inevitably holds the far side of a bridge automatically denies normal usage of said bridge. There is no way for blocking of that bridge to affect any other bridges.

And even Manticore, with the biggest known Junction(hence allowing the largest possible mass transits and the longest lock-down times) can only be locked for a maximum of seventeen hours, at a cost of two hundred million tons of shipping. That's at a cost of 25 SDs or large freighters thrown into the defenders' waiting jaws, unable to retreat. For 17 hours.

By all accounts, RFC carefully set the Honorverse up to prevent any duplication of Starfire's warp point mechanics. Hyperspace was the big one, but how the wormholes work is also far more limited.

Couldn't they just send the ships to a friendly exit point of the Junction, though, like Trevor's Star or Basilisk? That would lock down the Junction too, wouldn't it?

(Note: my grasp of the physics of the Junction is nonexistent.)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:32 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
Couldn't they just send the ships to a friendly exit point of the Junction, though, like Trevor's Star or Basilisk? That would lock down the Junction too, wouldn't it?

Actually it wouldn't, the lockdown is specific the the route taken. If you sent 200 million tons to Trevor's Star that would block the path to/from Trevor's Star but not the one to/from Basilisk.

You might remember, back in book 1, that that was part of Manticore's concern should the Peeps seize Basilisk. It would then let them send 400 million tons at Manticore almost simultaneously; half from each of the two termini they'd control.
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:27 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Jonathan_S,

Quite right, and kudos for your brevity. ;)

This was brought up and dismissed repeatedly at the bar over the last ~20 years, RFC getting tired of explaining the same logical reasons given above, which may be archived at fifthimperium, though not all were by any means.

Just because someone wants something childish (because they haven't thought it through) doesn't mean the adults will let him have it.

L

Jonathan_S wrote:
roseandheather wrote:

Actually it wouldn't, the lockdown is specific the the route taken. If you sent 200 million tons to Trevor's Star that would block the path to/from Trevor's Star but not the one to/from Basilisk.

You might remember, back in book 1, that that was part of Manticore's concern should the Peeps seize Basilisk. It would then let them send 400 million tons at Manticore almost simultaneously; half from each of the two termini they'd control.
Last edited by lyonheart on Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:32 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

WOW! Does this mean you've finally learned how to handle nested posts after being a member of the forum, how long?!? Why, that's astounding! I'm proud of you.

As far as responding to your ignorance. A post is coming. In due time. It'll be found in the Ramblings thread where you've resurfaced and shown you've got nothing better to do. I'll show you the error of your ways. Later. Right now I'm quite busy. I have loads of upcoming travel and things to do.

I send plenty of people to college every year to learn. Manners as well. Yet they've got something to work with. Time for cthia to take a vacation and see the UK and friends. Go and play somewhere else. Your final post is coming - in due time.
lyonheart wrote:Hi Jonathan_S,

Quite right, and kudos for your brevity. ;)

This was brought up and dismissed repeatedly at the bar over the last ~20 years, RFC getting tired of explaining the same logical reasons given above, which may be archived at fifthimperium, though not were by any means.

Just because someone wants something childish (because they haven't thought it through) doesn't mean the adults will let him have it.

L

Jonathan_S wrote:
roseandheather wrote:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:24 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
roseandheather wrote:

The physics ignoramus thanks her esteemed colleague for the enlightenment, and will now scuttle back to her politics-and-sociology corner where she actually knows what she's talking about. :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:48 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'd truly like an in-depth, salient and aromatic POV from inside the Onion itself, if this book hasn't already supplied it cut open.

I understand the need of RFC to lay new highway with new characters and different planets -- setting us up for the finale; if indeed there's going to be just one more all encompassing book, which he has maintained as fact.

However — and I'm still awaiting the hardback with no intentions of cheating beyond the snippet addict I am — SOV seems to not have included vast coverage of the inner onion, should snippets and discussions be any indication — unless "Spoiler" season is preventing it. And it seems it would be just as important, if not more so — as all of the new characters/planets covered. I'm not saying an in-depth journey inside the "Inner Onion" would be critical to the finale, just more reader fantastic.

I thoroughly enjoy getting to know the insides of characters. Their POV. The world according to the antagonist, along with their own worries, joys, hardships and heartaches. Character development. It is what allows some of us to fall in love with all things Havenite. (A teasing elbow in Rosie's rib)

The MA deserves to have its story told (as all antagonists before they are shot) — which may draw sympathizers and create converts and the like. Or at the very least, lead to a better overall understanding that isn't just clinical. I rather assumed it would have been accomplished prior to the final book.

At any rate, both sides of the coin should be tossed up into the air and let what will face up.

After all, antagonism is simply a POV.

Aside:
I apology that this thread had temporarily stalled because of ignorance (not likely that the source himself will offer one up), because I like it and it is unique.

I suppose it is quite difficult to expect respect when you are simply a member of this forum when it is obvious that several members don't even respect the author.

Jackasses are no cause to cast an aversion to the animal.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kzt   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:00 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:However — and I'm still awaiting the hardback with no intentions of cheating beyond the snippet addict I am — SOV seems to not have included vast coverage of the inner onion, should snippets and discussions be any indication — unless "Spoiler" season is preventing it.

I don't believe that is accurate statement.
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:07 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Edited post to remove mention of fanfic existing. Sorry.
Last edited by Shannon_Foraker on Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:58 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Shannon_Foraker wrote:
cthia wrote:I'd like to have The POV of Sonja when she's very young and precocious, perhaps on a broken ship, stranded in the dead of space on a luxury liner and her engineering and mechanical knowhow saves them. Or the very precocious but headstrong story of Shannon Foraker, simultaneously blowing up all of her father's treacherous enemies, in a never solved, national aircar disaster. Her virgin "OOPS."

When I consider Harkness, Zilwiki, Shannon and Sonja, I think of the McGyvers of the Honorverse.

Remembering the story of Zilwicki and Cachat stranded together on a dying ship held together by duct tape and gubble gum is intriguing.

I'd like the POV of them all, young, first realizing their rare talent for what it truly is and the profound circumstances which led them to know, for what they were born.

While I write Honorverse fanfic, I don't think I should post it here. I'm posting a link to my profiles instead.
Ao 3 profile: https://archiveofourown.org/users/Jedi_ ... _Skywalker
Fanfiction.net: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/14909149/

Ao3 currently has more Honorverse fanfic on it (one piece is Shannon/Sonja), and I'm working on a couple of pieces that will likely be posted someday.

I love this, and may just consider it for a prompt to some degree, as a reminder to explore Shannon and Sonja's teen years.

One idea I had was Shannon (or maybe Sonja, but it's a huge stretch), after being dumped or being cheated on, hacks him in revenge and doesn't get caught. You don't want to upset Shannon, that's for sure (and it makes more sense for her to hack someone).

Any other ideas for Honorverse fanfic? Note: I have a hard time with romance fic writing, so consider that when giving me ideas.

#1 bar rule - no Fan fic - Any discussions about it might be seen by the author and (or be argued could be seen by said author) allowing him to to be sued if a topic was used in his writing. SO he has asked that we don't mention it. If the conversation continues, Duckk might hit it with the ban hammer.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse