Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

Point of View: Wishes and Likes

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Point of View: Wishes and Likes
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:03 am

roseandheather
Admiral

stewart wrote:
cthia wrote:This is one to ponder.

I'd love the POV of Queen Henke's interaction with Honor. Or Honor's interaction with Queen Henke. There's an abrupt status change in the dynamics of the relationship. Honor goes from being Henke's Sr. Officer to Henke's subject in one fell swoop. I'd really like to have the dynamics in ink. It could be awkward(?). Would it be?

Certain circumstances could potentially make that rather awkward. I can think of a few right off hand.

------------

I do not think it would be awkward for either other than circumstances that might put Michelle on the throne.
1) Michelle recognizes Honor as her superior in the tactical arena, and has noted it several times
2) Michelle and Honor have been best of friends for approx. 50 years
3) Honor has TREMENDOUS respect for the House of Winton

Result(1) -- Honor becomes Michelle's primary sword-arm with Hamish and Sir Thomas as primary military / strategic advisors.

Result(2) -- Stand By for a series of BOOMs wherever a MA / RF hideout is discovered.

-- Stewart

Agreed. One of the running threads of the novels, one of this series' absolute, fundamental constants, is that at the end of the day, Honor Harrington and Michelle Henke love each other. I mean, those two love each other - and if Honor's return from Cerberus wasn't enough to prove it, then Michelle's return from Haven after Solon most certainly was. Best friends for fifty years and more, as close as siblings in a way - this is a friendship that has survived all conceivable obstacles and not even come out of it slightly dented. I really don't think a change in Henke's political status would change all that much. Remember, Honor is a head of state in her own right, and has been since we even met Michelle Henke, and Michelle didn't even blink. I can't imagine that even a little thing like suddenly ascending the throne of Manticore would put so much as a minor speed bump in that relationship.

(Yeah.... I have a lot of feelings about the eternal friendship between these two ladies.)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:45 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

POV.

There is a raid on the MAlign Bolthole. Incidentally, Nimitz and another treecat were the one's responsible for the capture of Detweiler.

Upon arriving back on Manticore, with Detweiler, Treecats - as a species, demand custody of Detweiler to stand trial in front of the Treecats and be metered a punishment from the cats. As a species, the bigger atrocity was committed against them.

Should there be an extradition?

Last edited by cthia on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:49 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
cthia wrote:This is one to ponder.

I'd love the POV of Queen Henke's interaction with Honor. Or Honor's interaction with Queen Henke. There's an abrupt status change in the dynamics of the relationship. Honor goes from being Henke's Sr. Officer to Henke's subject in one fell swoop. I'd really like to have the dynamics in ink. It could be awkward(?). Would it be?

Certain circumstances could potentially make that rather awkward. I can think of a few right off hand.

stewart wrote:
------------

I do not think it would be awkward for either other than circumstances that might put Michelle on the throne.
1) Michelle recognizes Honor as her superior in the tactical arena, and has noted it several times

Result(1) -- Honor becomes Michelle's primary sword-arm with Hamish and Sir Thomas as primary military / strategic advisors.

Result(2) -- Stand By for a series of BOOMs wherever a MA / RF hideout is discovered.

-- Stewart

Agreed. One of the running threads of the novels, one of this series' absolute, fundamental constants, is that at the end of the day, Honor Harrington and Michelle Henke love each other. I mean, those two love each other - and if Honor's return from Cerberus wasn't enough to prove it, then Michelle's return from Haven after Solon most certainly was. Best friends for fifty years and more, as close as siblings in a way - this is a friendship that has survived all conceivable obstacles and not even come out of it slightly dented. I really don't think a change in Henke's political status would change all that much. Remember, Honor is a head of state in her own right, and has been since we even met Michelle Henke, and Michelle didn't even blink. I can't imagine that even a little thing like suddenly ascending the throne of Manticore would put so much as a minor speed bump in that relationship.

(Yeah.... I have a lot of feelings about the eternal friendship between these two ladies.)

I agree with the first two of stewart's point, and with rose's. On stewart's number 3 - not so sure. How much boom is going to be produced by 50,000 treecats. Remember that treecat enemies are a binary set - those who have been dealt with, and those who are still alive. And the MAlign has definitely made it onto the treecat enemies list.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:51 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:POV.

There is a raid on the MAlign Bolthole. Incidentally, Nimitz and another treecat were the one's responsible for the capture of Detweiler.

Upon arriving back on Manticore, with Detweiler, Treecats - as a species, demand custody of Detweiler to stand trial in front of the Treecats and be metered a punishment from the cats. As a species, the bigger atrocity was committed to them.

There wouldn't need to be one. Nimitz and the other treecat would have taken Detweiler out right then, instead of capturing him. Remember that treecat enemies are a binary set - those who have been dealt with, and those who are still alive. And the MAlign has definitely made it onto the treecat enemies list.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by SWM   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:00 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Upon arriving back on Manticore, with Detweiler, Treecats - as a species, demand custody of Detweiler to stand trial in front of the Treecats and be metered a punishment from the cats. As a species, the bigger atrocity was committed to them.

Assuming the treecats felt that way yet hadn't already sliced his throat open, no, there couldn't be an extradition unless Manticoran laws governing treecats were changed. Remember that currently treecats effectively have a status comparable to minors. They do not have a recognized government or independent status to request extradition.

That does not mean that the government could not turn Detweiler over to the treecats, though. It just wouldn't be an extradition, and it would have to have a different explanation than turning him over for a treecat trial. Or perhaps it would trigger a re-examination of the status of treecats from a legal perspective.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:13 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

SWM wrote:

Assuming the treecats felt that way yet hadn't already sliced his throat open, no, there couldn't be an extradition unless Manticoran laws governing treecats were changed. Remember that currently treecats effectively have a status comparable to minors. They do not have a recognized government or independent status to request extradition.

That does not mean that the government could not turn Detweiler over to the treecats, though. It just wouldn't be an extradition, and it would have to have a different explanation than turning him over for a treecat trial. Or perhaps it would trigger a re-examination of the status of treecats from a legal perspective.

Frankly, I'm in Camp "Mysteriously Lose Him In The Middle of the Picketwood and Make Apologetic Noises Later".

I mean, if they don't have a body, nobody can be blamed for anything, right? Just ignore the clan or twelve of treecats mysteriously licking blood from their claws... :twisted:

Also, hey, I'm a Vice Admiral now! :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:00 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:

roseandheather wrote:Frankly, I'm in Camp "Mysteriously Lose Him In The Middle of the Picketwood and Make Apologetic Noises Later".

I mean, if they don't have a body, nobody can be blamed for anything, right? Just ignore the clan or twelve of treecats mysteriously licking blood from their claws... :twisted:

Also, hey, I'm a Vice Admiral now! :mrgreen:

Couldn't have said it better than the both of you. And I do believe it would trigger a re-examination of the status of treecats from a legal perspective. Good call SWM.

As Vice Admiral, Rose, depending on how many lys away from Manticoran space you are, you'll soon be receiving updated classified materials pursuant to your rank. Carry on. :mrgreen:

And ... Congratulations. Well deserved!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

stewart wrote:
cthia wrote:
This is one to ponder.

------------

-- Stewart

roseandheather wrote:

Kinda my point. This isn't a conceivable obstacle. Oh I agree that at the end of the day, those two will find a way to weather the storm. But I do see potential storm clouds over the horizon, or rain clouds, or the very least, high speed bumps. The ones high enough to make you scrape your undercarriage after the front tires clear.

For instance, there are a few times when Honor disagreed with Elizabeth. But she maintained her respect and loyalty in Honor of her Queen.

There are certain things that Honor might feel that she could say to Michelle that she wouldn't dare say to Elizabeth. As Abby had that hero worship and respect for Honor. So too did Honor have for Elizabeth. It was never there for Henke quite that way.

Honor may disagree with certain orders of Queen Henke. As she did before with Elizabeth. And 'need to know,' might not extend to Honor.

"Honor, I am your Queen and you will carry out my orders!"

Kinda falls under the psychology of relationships.

Post by cthia   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'd like to have the POV of Admiral Girardi, the poor sap set-up to replace Esther McQueen and therefore take her bullet when Trevor's Star fell to the Alliance.

"Self, what a fine mess you've gotten me in now."

That was low and dirty, even for the period Peeps.

Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:59 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'd really like to have the POV of Countess New Kiev's courier after the "sulfurous" tongue lashing from Estelle.

"I'm just the messenger. Why does everyone always want to shoot the messenger even though the rules clearly state 'Don't shoot the messenger?' Gees!"

:lol:

Poor guy. His ass has been chewed so much, being New Kiev's courier, they'll never remove all of the shark's teeth.

Return to Honorverse