Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 59 guests

Point of View: Wishes and Likes

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Point of View: Wishes and Likes
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:48 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Obviously, Honor is far from the only point-of-view character in the series. Even in the early books we were seeing things from other characters' perspectives, and as the scope of the Honorverse has expanded, the number of characters who get to take the stage as POV characters has expanded.

So, whose eyes do you like looking through?

I'll kick off with one of my all-time favorites - Michelle Henke.

I've said before that I simply understand Michelle better than any other Manticoran character, and perhaps any character in the series, full stop. She and I have the same practical, down-to-earth outlook on life, the same fears about having command riding on our shoulders - albeit mine in a vet hospital and hers on a starship - the same self-deprecating sense of humour, the same dry sarcasm.... the list goes on. I love her point of view because she's so darned funny, and because I just get her. I love having her eyes be our window to the Honorverse, and I really, really hope we get more of her as the series goes on.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Re: Point of View: Wishes and Likes
Post by wetnavy   » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:09 am

wetnavy
Ensign

Interesting idea. I have several but just post a couple.

1. A short story from one of Sam's and Nimitz's pups. One day of exploring, wondering what the two-legs are doing, thinking of something to torment Mac.

2. Tom Theisman's thoughts when meeting Yu and Caslett again. What regrets he feels about them, why they had to defect.

3. A day from an armsman's perspective. Not while on duty but the other things that must be taken care of. Doesn't matter which one. I think this has been suggested somewhere else.
Post by kenl511   » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:13 am

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

I like Dame Estelle Matsuko, Baroness Medusa. She has both a powerful memory and enough integrity to re-evaluate someone she under estimated when they do something RIGHT!

She is also capable and experienced in the exercise of power.
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:36 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Nice thread Rose. Hope your studies are going quite well and your nose is holding up to the grindstone.

Two immediately jump out of memory, Everard Honeker, and all of the compassionate, sympathetic People's Commissioners point of view was always torturingly interesting. What a job title and assignment to have when you are a decent man, under the rule of Just-Pierre. Talk about an ever ongoing internal battle with your own morals, scruples and values.

And probably my personal favorite, the duo of Estelle Matsuko and Michele Reynaud, looking out of their eyes, at the level of the previous phuckups visited upon Basilisk Station pre-Harrington.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Joat42   » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:41 am

Joat42
Admiral

I would like to see a day in Iris Babcock-Harkness life while she is dealing with her husbands shenanigans. :D

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:49 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
I would like to see a day in Iris Babcock-Harkness life while she is dealing with her husbands shenanigans. :D

:lol:
Nice one Joat. While you're at it, RFC, throw in the entire day leading up to Harkness proposing. And the entire day of the wedding, with Harkness threatening his best man if he lost the ring.

Who was the best man?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:15 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Joat42 wrote:

:lol:
Nice one Joat. While you're at it, RFC, throw in the entire day leading up to Harkness proposing. And the entire day of the wedding, with Harkness threatening his best man if he lost the ring.

Who was the best man?

You know it had to be Scotty - or maybe Scotty gave the bride away :)
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by strapakai   » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:47 pm

strapakai
Ensign

'A day in the life of' would make a great anthology.

I'd like to spend a day with MacGuiness, before Honor became a feudal lady. What did he do in his pantry? How did he pass the ships gossip onto her?

On one Honor's secondary armsmen. One with a family. What does he do on his time off (with interaction with her primary three)? How does he balance family life and his job.
Post by stewart   » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:38 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

roseandheather -- Great thread topic !!

Being retired Navy enlisted, I have always enjoyed the perspective of Horace Harkness;

Two other good perspectives would be Sally McBride ( possibly the ideal Command Master Chief) or Aubrey Wanderman -- a good Tech who could have gone Mustang but CHOSE to remain on the enlisted / Non-commissioned side of the Navy

-- Stewart
Post by Hutch   » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:53 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Agree with stewart, a very nice topic.

For people whom we see things from their POV, Aivars Therekhov and Helen Zilwicki are the most intriguing to me. And I truly did enjoy the much put-upon (and more able than he believes) Yuri Radamacher.

As for POV's we don't see much of, Iris Babcock has been mentioned, and I'd really like to see more of the Honorverse through Alfred Harrington's eyes, most of what we've experienced is Allison's viewpoint.

IMHO as alway.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Return to Honorverse