Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Theemile and 59 guests

Point of View: Wishes and Likes

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Point of View: Wishes and Likes
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:08 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:
cthia wrote:My dear Rosie, you just touched on one of my major nagging fears in the series. What of Benjamin being bereft of prolong? How old is he now and how much longer can we expect him to survive naturally?
Born December 21st, 1871, so 51 in most of 1922. We can expect 20-40 more years for him, with excellent health care and no unnatural surprises.

Bernard Raoul was born in '13 or '14, so he is likely to be around 30 at the earliest natural time of death for his father. We're unlikely to see a regency period unless Benjamin dies relatively early.

We can expect Protector Bernard to have experienced mentors and advisers, and the people who came of age since the Restoration to have two and three centuries to live, without a whole lot of tolerance for dinosaurs.
Will the Mayhew Restoration survive his death; Will the alliance with Manticore survive his death; Who will survive him as Protector; Will Honor remain Protector's Champion; Will there be a negative power shift within the Keys? It seems the anti-Keys *shrug* would surely use his death to regain the reigns lost when Honor Harrington provided the way for Benjamin to seize his current level of control and authority in the first place.
I wouldn't call them anti-Keys - more super-Keys, or ultra-Keys: Steadholders out to shift power back into the hands of Steadholders instead of the Sword or the Steaders.

But yeah, I'm not worried about them. The old guard is getting old as fast as Benjamin or faster. The ones young enough for prolong aren't often going to be real conservatives that way, and to the extent they are, their own power base is growing old as well.
It is still very early in the timeline of the Mayhew Restoration vs. the history of the planet at large and his Restoration will still be a virtual infant at his unprolonged death.

I see:
Foreign objects in the road ahead.
Low clearance.
Caution Ahead.
Bridge Incomplete.
Timeline Untimely Interrupted.
Lack of Prolong Ahead In Head.
Brace for Impact.
Lost Key Ahead.

All types of warning signs.

Pfft. The Mayhew Restoration itself is a restoration, a return to a traditional way of things. The periods of Key-dominance are the aberrations - not terribly uncommon ones, and often long by the standards of a pre-prolong Grayson lifetime, but not on the scale of Grayson's history. The Keys have suffered multiple embarrassments, the Sword is very popular, prolong is weighing demographics in favor of the Restoration.

It's a personal tragedy that, like Moses, Benjamin Mayhew will have led his people through suffering and struggle to a promised land he will live only long enough to glimpse. But I wouldn't doubt the security of the Restoration itself, if Grayson itself survives. And it does have a good track record that way.

The Restoration was a return to a traditional way of things, perhaps. But cavorting with infidels is anything but.

I do hope that you are right. You probably are. But my fears still stand. Probably promiscuous paranoic phobia - posited by my brain having sex with all the previous thoughts of the Keys' tricks of manufacturing opportunity to shift the balance of power. I still cannot see them letting Benjamin's death pass them by w/o incident.

I'd like to see the POV of Theisman meeting Anton Zilwicki and the discussion of Zilwiki's loss at the hands of Theisman's command and Theisman's recognition of.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Point of View: Elaine Komondorski
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Elaine Komondorski or Georgia Sakristos. I like her alias nomenclature better.

Here's the thing, I liked Georgia as a character and I was sad that things went down the way they did. I personally, even knowing what I did, would have been more forgiving. (Not just because she's so beautiful -- though I should take that under advisement) but because the life of any slave is beyond my comprehension. It is far too easy for an outsider peering through the distorted window of her life to judge her.

I would like to reserve my final judgment of her until I've had a chance to have her POV and explanation of why she sold out the other slaves.

How desperate at one point in her life did she become after suffering her own personal atrocious limitations as a human. How close did it push her to her breaking point when she must have declared internally and rendered her own version of the famous Scarlet O'Hara line: As God is my witness, I will never be a slave again!

Would you personally hold her past and actions against her, unforgivably?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Point of View: Elaine Komondorski
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:37 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Elaine Komondorski or Georgia Sakristos. I like her alias nomenclature better.

Here's the thing, I liked Georgia as a character and I was sad that things went down the way they did. I personally, even knowing what I did, would have been more forgiving. (Not just because she's so beautiful -- though I should take that under advisement) but because the life of any slave is beyond my comprehension. It is far too easy for an outsider peering through the distorted window of her life to judge her.

I would like to reserve my final judgment of her until I've had a chance to have her POV and explanation of why she sold out the other slaves.

How desperate at one point in her life did she become after suffering her own personal atrocious limitations as a human. How close did it push her to her breaking point when she must have declared internally and rendered her own version of the famous Scarlet O'Hara line: As God is my witness, I will never be a slave again!

as you say it is (or should be) incredibly hard to judge what she had gone through that she was willing to sell out other slaves, given how the slaves are generally depicted as having a "all us victims got to stick together" mindset.

even the nutter from Torch of freedom who nuked the park, who thought of most slaves as gutless wonders would not have dreamed of selling out others.
Re: Point of View: Elaine Komondorski
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:
cthia wrote:Elaine Komondorski or Georgia Sakristos. I like her alias nomenclature better.

as you say it is (or should be) incredibly hard to judge what she had gone through that she was willing to sell out other slaves, given how the slaves are generally depicted as having a "all us victims got to stick together" mindset.

even the nutter from Torch of freedom who nuked the park, who thought of most slaves as gutless wonders would not have dreamed of selling out others.

Absolutely Dauntless. As I remember it, Cathy Montaigne intoned as much as well. I don't rightly think Cathy liked Georgia, but she did allow her that.

Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:41 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'd like the POV of Theodosia and Hamish's affair. Blame it on my college days of watching soap operas. It was the "in thing" then. Got you brownie points with the college girls too, who ALL watched them. Hey, when in Rome you eat spaghetti, if you have any hopes of an Italian girl. lol

Aside:
Less than a month now and I'll be walking down the aisle.

This is my first time. I have come to know why people get cold feet. Single Friends! Friends are supposed to be supportive, but it seems they take it as their job to test your convictions and certainty.

"Are you sure you're doing the right thing?"

"Marriage can go North or South and there's hell at the bottom and loneliness at the top -- which results in hell as well."

"It's too much like base jumping. You jump off of a bridge in faith, to plunge headlong into danger not really knowing the gravity of the situation, with an escape clause that can get you out of either at any time if you don't wait 'til it's too late -- a chute or a divorce. Except in marriage, many choose to not want to pull the cord when they need it, wanting gravity to settle the score."

"Marriage is too much like bungee jumping or having sex with a prostitute. You risk it all for less than 60 seconds of thrills but if that band breaks your ass is grass."

" :o "

Friends! :roll:

Post by Dauntless   » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:24 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

qouch. yeah i think you need to gag a few of them. or shoot them.
Post by John Prigent   » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:29 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Don't be put off, cthia! I did it in 1963 and we're still married and still happy together. You have my support, even though we've never met apart from here.
Cheers
John

cthia wrote:I'd like the POV of Theodosia and Hamish's affair. Blame it on my college days of watching soap operas. It was the "in thing" then. Got you brownie points with the college girls too, who ALL watched them. Hey, when in Rome you eat spaghetti, if you have any hopes of an Italian girl. lol

Aside:

This is my first time. I have come to know why people get cold feet. Single Friends! Friends are supposed to be supportive, but it seems they take it as their job to test your convictions and certainty.

"Marriage can go North or South and there's hell at the bottom and loneliness at the top -- which results in hell as well."

"It's too much like base jumping. You jump off of a bridge in faith, to plunge headlong into danger not really knowing the gravity of the situation, with an escape clause that can get you out of either at any time if you don't wait 'til it's too late -- a chute or a divorce. Except in marriage, many choose to not want to pull the cord when they need it, wanting gravity to settle the score."

"Marriage is too much like bungee jumping or having sex with a prostitute. You risk it all for less than 60 seconds of thrills but if that band breaks your ass is grass."

Post by kzt   » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:15 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I was told the job of the best man was to hold the door of the church against the brides family while the groom makes good his escape.
Post by SWM   » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:09 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

For my best man, I chose the person who was most likely to act up, and told him he was in charge of making sure no one else did. :twisted:
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by JeffEngel   » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:17 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

cthia wrote:I'd like the POV of Theodosia and Hamish's affair. Blame it on my college days of watching soap operas. It was the "in thing" then. Got you brownie points with the college girls too, who ALL watched them. Hey, when in Rome you eat spaghetti, if you have any hopes of an Italian girl. lol
I haven't anything serious against soap operas, but I really don't want to read the story of that affair. There was altogether too much pain there. Hamish had exhausted all the hopes his energy and fortune could extend for making Emily's condition any better. He was someone who expected, by inclination, background and training all combined, to be able to do something, and when it came time to do anything for the woman he loved, he couldn't. He couldn't even face that shame squarely, couldn't let Emily be a partner in healing it. He was as broken in his spirit as she was in body and it took another shameful violation, of his marriage vows this time, before his best friend could put him back together and sent him home.

I will take my drama and my melodrama as it comes, but that's too much for me to go through in detail, thanks.
Aside:

Do they, ah, have serious objections or are they just the sort who like to swat you around for kicks? Not that I have to know!

Return to Honorverse