Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 145 guests

Whatever Happened to

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Whatever Happened to
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Emily's regular doctor before Allison. The White Haven fortune could afford the best medical care for Emily but we barely hear anything about her/him. Not even in some sort of insignificant consulting fashion.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SWM   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:49 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

akira.taylor wrote:
Carl wrote:About Adrienne's husband

I got the impression (which could be completely wrong, and really won't surprise me) that it was Saganami (or would have been, if he hadn't died - I'm unsure of dates and ages). It was just something about how he says goodbye, in Shadow of Saganami. On the other hand, he could just be one of her friends (kind of like how Honor is now, for Elizabeth).

That seems unlikely. First of all, I have trouble believing that the Consort would be allowed to go off to Silesia for a year or more (remember, this was before Basilisk was discovered) on a navy mission, or even that he would be allowed to be an active officer. Second, I am certain we would have heard him referred to as the Consort or otherwise told by now. But he is only remembered as a naval officer.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Carl   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:20 pm

Carl
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

To be fair SWM the send off did feel a little personal, and the way it was cut off is a classic. But i also suspect for the reasons you state regarding hearing things, (and my comment about the tomb below), that if their was anything there it was more along the lines of the Rivka/Rodger situation back in Ashes of Victory, i.e. still in the early stages.

That said you might want to remember that Mike is i think 4th in the succession now. If some accident or assassin was to wipe out Elizabeth and her most immediate family Mike would become Queen and she's being allowed to run some pretty distant military op's against an active aggressor, (and it's only getting more distant recently though i'm not sure if Manticore has caught up with that fully).So i doubt them being involved would remotely affect his being out there, particularly if they met post him joining the Navy.

However the fact that he's listed as one of the non-royal tombs in the Cathedral confirms they weren't married or anything.
Post by Dafmeister   » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:15 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

roseandheather wrote:
As for Miss Hauptman, she's been in Honor's "inner circle" - or at least the circle immediately outside it - for years. As has a particular flag captain who answers to "Rafe". Nudge nudge wink wink catch my drift?? :twisted:

You mean a certain flag captain who's long overdue for his bump to Commodore, if not straight to Rear Admiral?
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:09 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Dafmeister wrote:
roseandheather wrote:
As for Miss Hauptman, she's been in Honor's "inner circle" - or at least the circle immediately outside it - for years. As has a particular flag captain who answers to "Rafe". Nudge nudge wink wink catch my drift?? :twisted:

You mean a certain flag captain who's long overdue for his bump to Commodore, if not straight to Rear Admiral?

Yes, that one.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Hutch   » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:21 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:Emily's regular doctor before Allison. The White Haven fortune could afford the best medical care for Emily but we barely hear anything about her/him. Not even in some sort of insignificant consulting fashion.

I think that is because with Emily in her chair, there has been a perception that there is nothing else that can be done for her, so outside of occasional checkups and regular maintenance on her life-support systems (which requires more of a tech than a Doctor), there isn't much reason for seeing her Doctor.

Emily is as well as she can be...unless RFC, with Allie and Alfred's help, changes that equation.

Which is something I'd really like to see him do.

We shall see..eventually.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by dreamrider   » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:31 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Hutch wrote:
cthia wrote:Emily's regular doctor before Allison. The White Haven fortune could afford the best medical care for Emily but we barely hear anything about her/him. Not even in some sort of insignificant consulting fashion.

I think that is because with Emily in her chair, there has been a perception that there is nothing else that can be done for her, so outside of occasional checkups and regular maintenance on her life-support systems (which requires more of a tech than a Doctor), there isn't much reason for seeing her Doctor.

Emily is as well as she can be...unless RFC, with Allie and Alfred's help, changes that equation.

Which is something I'd really like to see him do.

We shall see..eventually.

Note that if the Harrington Practice, or the combined Beowulf-Manticore-Grayson medical establishment (which is much the same thing, really) manages to come up with a bio-restorative process which will fix Emily, we are probably also looking at a full restore for Honor as well.

Frankly, for dramatic reasons, I don't expect either.

dreamrider
Post by dreamrider   » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:36 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

akira.taylor wrote:

I got the impression (which could be completely wrong, and really won't surprise me) that it was Saganami (or would have been, if he hadn't died - I'm unsure of dates and ages). It was just something about how he says goodbye, in Shadow of Saganami. On the other hand, he could just be one of her friends (kind of like how Honor is now, for Elizabeth).

Wait! Wait! The refs are stopping the game!

It seems an extra ball has just been fired in from left field by some fan in the stands. And, folks, for some reason the ball is painted fluoresent purple...

dreamrider
Post by akira.taylor   » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:19 pm

akira.taylor
Captain (Junior Grade)

SWM wrote:

akira.taylor wrote:

That seems unlikely. First of all, I have trouble believing that the Consort would be allowed to go off to Silesia for a year or more (remember, this was before Basilisk was discovered) on a navy mission, or even that he would be allowed to be an active officer. Second, I am certain we would have heard him referred to as the Consort or otherwise told by now. But he is only remembered as a naval officer.

Well, I guess I hadn't thought about that. (I also had forgotten about the Saganami having a non-royal tomb. That does kill the idea they were married.) It had really been a "huh, I wonder" sort of thing.
Post by n7axw   » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:03 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
dreamrider wrote:I've been looking forward to at least a mention that Oversteegan might go into politics for several books now. To pull an r'n'h-type speculation here (and get her furious with me at the same time), I expect that this move will be aided and partly financed by the new girlfriend that Michelle is going to introduce him to...

Stacy Hauptman.

([happy little tune playing] "Duck, and cov-er..." )
dreamrider

...you have got to be joking. Stacy Hauptman and Michael Oversteegen?? They'd kill each other inside a month, and that estimate's generous!

Either that or they'd get along like gangbusters! :twisted:

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Honorverse