Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], ThinksMarkedly and 86 guests

Manticoran Heirs

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Manticoran Heirs
Post by kzt   » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:59 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Zakharra wrote:First, it has to be a Manticore commoner/citizen.

I'm not sure that is true. Elizabeth's brother -- and heir at the time -- married Judith, the escaped Masadan slave/wife and former Grayson. That qualified as marrying a commoner although Judith's daughter Ruth is not in the line of Succession.

I'm pretty sure that there is enough slack in the provision that any questionable marriage would be the source of a lot of political venom and a potential Constitutional crisis.

It's be explicitly stated by David, though I'm not sure where, that only nobles from Manticore count. He could have married a daughter of the Protector or of the Emperor and that would have been just fine legally.
Post by Zakharra   » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:27 am

Zakharra
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:I'm not sure that is true. Elizabeth's brother -- and heir at the time -- married Judith, the escaped Masadan slave/wife and former Grayson. That qualified as marrying a commoner although Judith's daughter Ruth is not in the line of Succession.

I'm pretty sure that there is enough slack in the provision that any questionable marriage would be the source of a lot of political venom and a potential Constitutional crisis.

It's be explicitly stated by David, though I'm not sure where, that only nobles from Manticore count. He could have married a daughter of the Protector or of the Emperor and that would have been just fine legally.

So the Andermani Emperor wouldn't be able to claim the Manticore throne if one of his nephews/nieces/sons/daughters married a Manticore heir and that heir somehow became the king/queen and had children?
Post by kzt   » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:27 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote: So the Andermani Emperor wouldn't be able to claim the Manticore throne if one of his nephews/nieces/sons/daughters married a Manticore heir and that heir somehow became the king/queen and had children?

No, line of inheritance is only via the Manticoran royal family bloodline. That's why Beth's mother wasn't made queen after the assassination. I assume the upper house can appoint someone as king/queen if there is nobody qualified left alive after some horrible disaster and there is still a government around.
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:15 am

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

saber964 wrote:Look at the genealogy page of ACtA. Queen Elizabeth II was married to Baron New Madrid and succeeded her brother King Edward I.

Is that supposed to be ACtD? I haven't read the Travis Young book yet but will soon. If its not that one I am not sure which one you are refering too. :?: But thank you for the insight.

[quote="Jonathan_S"]I couldn't remember that exact info from the book either, but saber964 posted one example.

On the other hand, since Duckk was quoting a post from David Weber himself (who posts as runsforcelery here) I'd taken it as correct even though I couldn't remember it from the books :D
/quote]

I didn't did to deep into the Post because i have yet to read that one and the post title said it had spoilers and I didn't want to dig to deep and reveal somthing about the book yet.
But thanks for the suggestion Duckk and Jonathan_S

I guess i'll have to accelerate my time table to read it! lol
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:06 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Commodore Oakius wrote:
saber964 wrote:Look at the genealogy page of ACtA. [snip]

Is that supposed to be ACtD? I haven't read the Travis Young book yet but will soon. If its not that one I am not sure which one you are refering too. :?: But thank you for the insight.
I think it's supposed to be A Call to Arms -- that's the Travis Long short story from the anthology Beginnings. (It was published a last year, then this year's we got a full novel; A Call to Duty)

But I can't confirm its there because I only have eARCs handy for those two books, and neither of them has a genealogy page (must have been added to the final version)
Post by drothgery   » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:57 am

drothgery
Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:But I can't confirm its there because I only have eARCs handy for those two books, and neither of them has a genealogy page (must have been added to the final version)
There is a genealogy page on the full version of the novel.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:52 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

drothgery wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:But I can't confirm its there because I only have eARCs handy for those two books, and neither of them has a genealogy page (must have been added to the final version)
There is a genealogy page on the full version of the novel.
Thanks.
Post by drothgery   » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:12 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
drothgery wrote:There is a genealogy page on the full version of the novel.
Thanks.
At least, it's there on the Kindle version. Can't speak to dead trees or other ebook formats.

Return to Honorverse