Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 87 guests

Lacöon I

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Lacöon I
Post by kzt   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:49 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:
Tens of millions employed in building starships might describe Manticore, but who in the SL begins to come close in matching the OSK's starship production, or builds even 5%?

The total size of the entire (as in all, everyone complete, total) number of people involved in manufacturing it the Manticore A and B systems was considerably under 2 million people. Does this make any damn sense? No, but it is what David has said.

Look at the total casualties of the MAN strike on Manticore and then think about what else was on the stations. There were extensive RMN facilities, the families of the manufacturing workers and RMN, the support people for everyone (doctors, lawyers, retail clerks, kindergarten teachers, etc).

So the total number of people involved in a core worlds current manufacturing infrastructure is tiny, and they can massive expand both the staff and the physical plant over a fairly short period of time, as Manticore needs to do to replace everyone involved in manufacturing.
Post by lyonheart   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:51 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Hutch,

Kudos as usual for your excellent points!

My only nit is that honorverse freighters last centuries, not surprising since they're based on the same alloys etc, if not better, that the colony ships were built from.

So the need for new ships built in the SL is reduced by another order of magnitude.

One reason I suggested the MMM's having 40,000 ships is that 200 built per year meant the oldest were only 200 years old, given the odds they would sell a perfectly good freighter ["only 2 centuries! Lots of life left in her"] because its finally time to take advantage of the tech advances of the past 200 years, while the freighter had earned the company a profit for 190+ years after paying off its construction cost.

L

Hutch wrote:
Zakharra wrote:Those two nations shipyards wouldn't last long in a prolonged war. Not with the missiles, long range bombers/fighters and aircraft carriers and submarines we have. N. Korea's would be pathetically easy to take out. China's a little more difficult, but no where near impossible to do.

Just for the record, Zakharra, South Korea is the shipbuilding giant, not the North.

That said, I tend to agree that commercial shipbuilding (of freighters larger than 1MT--smaller, intra-system shipyards probably exist in almost all developed systems) is probably concentrated in a few shipyards.

Just for grins, imagine the SL-flagged fleets (non-Manticorian) totals 60,000 ships of 1MT or larger--which I think is high, but for arguments sake, let's use it. Let us also say that freighters have a useful life of 40 years (I suspect it will be much higher, given even modest updates and servicing) and this gives us a 'turnover' rate of 1,500/year. Add 500 additional ships per year (as trade increases) and you need to have facilities to build 2,000 freighters/year.

With nearly 1,900 Member systems, it is unlike that they all have facilities to build on average one frieghter a year. 20 yards building 100 Freighters a year (or 10 building 200) makes a lot more economic sense.

So I think those systems may find themselves visited by the GA sooner rather than later. The infrastructure may not be destroyed (winning hearts and minds), but I would think those yards would not be allowed to deliver thier production to any systems that had not signed treaties with the GA.

We shall see, eventually....IMHA as always. YMMV.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Hutch   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:45 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi Hutch,

My only nit is that Honorverse freighters last centuries, not surprising since they're based on the same alloys etc, if not better, that the colony ships were built from.

So the need for new ships built in the SL is reduced by another order of magnitude.

One reason I suggested the MMM's having 40,000 ships is that 200 built per year meant the oldest were only 200 years old, given the odds they would sell a perfectly good freighter ["only 2 centuries! Lots of life left in her"] because its finally time to take advantage of the tech advances of the past 200 years, while the freighter had earned the company a profit for 190+ years after paying off its construction cost.

L

Concur Lyonheart, I used 40 years to be as pessimistic as possible, but more likely the ships are in service for 100+ years, perhaps being shuffled off to less-lucrative routes or sold to the 'neobarbs' as they age.

But even using my pessimistic numbers, they re can't be more than 10-20 yards building freighters in the SL--it just doesn't make economic sense otherwise.

Don't see you on the list for Honorcon this year--maybe next time.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Joat42   » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:09 am

Joat42
Admiral

Hutch wrote:

My only nit is that Honorverse freighters last centuries, not surprising since they're based on the same alloys etc, if not better, that the colony ships were built from.

L

Concur Lyonheart, I used 40 years to be as pessimistic as possible, but more likely the ships are in service for 100+ years, perhaps being shuffled off to less-lucrative routes or sold to the 'neobarbs' as they age.

But even using my pessimistic numbers, they re can't be more than 10-20 yards building freighters in the SL--it just doesn't make economic sense otherwise.

New freighters are bought by those who have money; like trans-stellars and bigger corporations. They will sell the ships off when their value has been deprecated (amortized?) enough that a newer more effective/faster/larger model will be more profitable in the long run.

We know that the ships are expensive and the 40 years you used is a bit low in my opinion of how long a first time owner keeps a ship before selling it off to a smaller company, I think it's more around 60 years. The smaller company probably own the ships for another 60 years before selling them off to independent merchants who basically use the ships until they fall apart. With good care I don't see why a ship couldn't last 200+ years.

Anyway, that's my opinion on the subject. :)

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by kzt   » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:17 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Ships are expensive, but how expensive is the collapse of you economy or corporation due to lack of shipping?
Post by saber964   » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:25 pm

saber964
Admiral

wastedfly wrote:There are effectively only 2 nations on earth building freighters. Korea and China. Yes, plenty of 1st tier nations still have shipping yards building one off ships, maybe even 2 or 3 off ships, but no one else in the world is building ships on an assembly line. Everyone else is doing just fine...

Lets hope there is no war as there are effectively only 2 nations on earth who can build a war navy and one of those is a tiny po dunk country who has been the others vassal or near vassel state for the last 1000 years.

Why only 2 nations? Because both countries effectively subsidize the industries and the freighters are being sold at below market value. Now in the Honorverse, this is effectively what Manticore has been doing via the wormhole network. Where the rest of the freighters are being built? Who knows.

Actually your wrong, currently there are a multitude of countries building merchant ships. Finland is building cruise liners for Carnival, NCL, Holland-America, Princess Cruses and B&O, also the US is building ULCC and VLCC tankers for the Alaska to CONUS run. IIRC Todd-Pacific is currently building ferries for the Washington ferry system and several for export.
Post by Joat42   » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:57 pm

Joat42
Admiral

saber964 wrote:
wastedfly wrote:There are effectively only 2 nations on earth building freighters. Korea and China. Yes, plenty of 1st tier nations still have shipping yards building one off ships, maybe even 2 or 3 off ships, but no one else in the world is building ships on an assembly line. Everyone else is doing just fine...

Lets hope there is no war as there are effectively only 2 nations on earth who can build a war navy and one of those is a tiny po dunk country who has been the others vassal or near vassel state for the last 1000 years.

Why only 2 nations? Because both countries effectively subsidize the industries and the freighters are being sold at below market value. Now in the Honorverse, this is effectively what Manticore has been doing via the wormhole network. Where the rest of the freighters are being built? Who knows.

Actually your wrong, currently there are a multitude of countries building merchant ships. Finland is building cruise liners for Carnival, NCL, Holland-America, Princess Cruses and B&O, also the US is building ULCC and VLCC tankers for the Alaska to CONUS run. IIRC Todd-Pacific is currently building ferries for the Washington ferry system and several for export.

Yes and no. We are talking about shipyards capable of producing large freighters quickly and in high volume. The yards you refer to are building specialized ships.

For example, the worlds largest ship; the Maersk Tripple-E, took only 3 months to build and was built in S.Korea.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by lyonheart   » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:13 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Hutch,

Yup, not this year.

But have a great time with everybody else anyway.

Best wishes to all. ;)

L

Hutch wrote:

L

Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by saber964   » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:52 pm

saber964
Admiral

Joat42 wrote: quote="saber964"]quote="wastedfly"]There are effectively only 2 nations on earth building freighters. Korea and China. Yes, plenty of 1st tier nations still have shipping yards building one off ships, maybe even 2 or 3 off ships, but no one else in the world is building ships on an assembly line. Everyone else is doing just fine...

Actually your wrong, currently there are a multitude of countries building merchant ships. Finland is building cruise liners for Carnival, NCL, Holland-America, Princess Cruses and B&O, also the US is building ULCC and VLCC tankers for the Alaska to CONUS run. IIRC Todd-Pacific is currently building ferries for the Washington ferry system and several for export.[/quote]
Yes and no. We are talking about shipyards capable of producing large freighters quickly and in high volume. The yards you refer to are building specialized ships.

For example, the worlds largest ship; the Maersk Tripple-E, took only 3 months to build and was built in S.Korea.[/quote]

You cant really put todays ships in rapid series production because of the size of the ships. Look at the Liberty and Victory ships plus the T-2 tanker classes from WWII. Your average T-2 had a DWT Dead Weight Tonnage (cargo carrying capacity) between 15-20,000 DWT vs a VLCC Very Large Crude Carrier 160-320,000 DWT or ULCC Ultra Large Crude Carrier 320-550,000 DWT, most of the worlds tankers average about 300-350,000 DWT. During WWII your typical convoy of 60 or 80 ships of which 10% were usually tankers.
Post by KNick   » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:29 pm

KNick
Admiral

Having just read this entire thread to make sure I didn't miss it, I saw no mention of the reaction of the people most directly involved in any effort to shut down the financial interchange between the League and Manticore: the League News Services and the mail services. After all, it is not freighters that carry the bulk of the data, but dispatch boats operated by the various news agencies and contract mail carriers. I am curious to know what you think the newsies reaction would be beyond screams of censorship.

As for the mail carriers, I could see them doing such things as refusing to carry official League dispatches, mail for any member of the bureaucracy or the Navy. After all, it is the League that would have to shut them down, because Manticore has already granted them passage (for the normal transit fees).
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!

Return to Honorverse