Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 57 guests

New Books

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: New Books
Post by Northstar   » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:32 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

A Call to Duty(Manticore Ascendant series book 1) by David Weber and Timothy Zahn, just arrived at my house. So, there ya go, something new to read. :D
Post by biochem   » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:32 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Annachie wrote:I've been waiting 16 or 17 years for one author to finish a story. Unfortunately he died 2 years ago but I still hold some hope.

The wait may not be entirely unmerited. Authors often have several books in the works at any given time. If your author has a few partially finished manuscripts around, the estate may hire a ghost writer to finish the books. Provided there is sufficient interest from the fans. That happened with Robert Jordan for example
Post by saber964   » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:14 pm

saber964
Admiral

biochem wrote:
Annachie wrote:I've been waiting 16 or 17 years for one author to finish a story. Unfortunately he died 2 years ago but I still hold some hope.

The wait may not be entirely unmerited. Authors often have several books in the works at any given time. If your author has a few partially finished manuscripts around, the estate may hire a ghost writer to finish the books. Provided there is sufficient interest from the fans. That happened with Robert Jordan for example

How about Frank Herbert and Dune or JRR Tolkin and his middle earth books
Post by Annachie   » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:37 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

In those two specific cases their children took over. So did Anne McCaffrey's come to think of it.

Hmm.

Does RFC have any children? :)

Shapcano, the author I mean above, wrote Shadowrun fan fics. Not likely anything is out there. Even his published works had to be pulled out of other peoples copies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by biochem   » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:36 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Annachie wrote:In those two specific cases their children took over. So did Anne McCaffrey's come to think of it.

Hmm.

Does RFC have any children? :)

He has daughters. They are rather young but so is RFC, so unless something statistically unlikely happens a la Vince Flynn, we have years and years before we have to worry.
Post by kzt   » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:18 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

And a son. All about 10-13 iirc.
Post by crewdude48   » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:56 am

crewdude48
Commodore

saber964 wrote:
biochem wrote:The wait may not be entirely unmerited. Authors often have several books in the works at any given time. If your author has a few partially finished manuscripts around, the estate may hire a ghost writer to finish the books. Provided there is sufficient interest from the fans. That happened with Robert Jordan for example

How about Frank Herbert and Dune or JRR Tolkin and his middle earth books

Can't forget Variable Star by Robert A Heinlein and Spider Robenson, published 18 years after RAH's death.
Post by SWM   » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:35 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:
saber964 wrote:How about Frank Herbert and Dune or JRR Tolkin and his middle earth books

Can't forget Variable Star by Robert A Heinlein and Spider Robenson, published 18 years after RAH's death.

True, but that wasn't worth the wait. :) Variable Star is pretty worthless, except to rabid Heinlein completists and those interested in seeing the early origins of concepts which wove through many of Heinlein's later works. Spider was careful not to add new material (or voice), and just smoothed it out some. There's a reason the manuscript was rejected way back then, and Robert himself apparently didn't think it was worth going back to revise when he finally got some experience under his belt.

(But from the perspective of SF history, the book is quite interesting!)
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Lunan   » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:25 am

Lunan
Captain of the List

i kind of enjoyed for us the living. one of his first works that didn't see the light of day for many moons
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:02 am

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Thank you, Northstar, thankyou!
I just checked the Library Catalog; they have it.
I am requesting it.

Howard T. Map-addict

Northstar wrote:A Call to Duty(Manticore Ascendant series book 1) by David Weber and Timothy Zahn, just arrived at my house. So, there ya go, something new to read. :D

Return to Honorverse