Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Wasn't the ERM enough? Why bother with the Mk 16?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: ERMs and MDMs
Post by lyonheart   » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:06 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply, and yes Rob is much easier. ;)

More missile detail would always be nice, but the missile acceleration has jumped back and forth through the series, up to 96,000 G's in AoV then down to 92,000 in WoH and stayed there with no textev explanation for just one example.

The contradictions in the HoS data versus the early textev are painful to reflect upon, when they could have been so easily incorporated rather than ignored.

L

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:Hi, Lyonheart!

let's see if I can get this together and make sense. Stupid trackpad makes typing annoying. Oh, and you can just call me Rob, its shorter.

lyonheart wrote: Hi Armed Neo-Bob,

I suspect you might be right regarding why the BC's and cruisers were scrapped, sold or retired by Janacek, though the Prince Consorts age was the major reason, regardless of whether RFC or Bu9 confirm your hypothesis.

[Edit: I said it might be because they can't fire ERM missiles of any stripe--Mk13ER or Mk14)--Rob]

I prefer the original textev to the contradictions of the Bu9 HoS text with the original textev; the Fearless CL had 70 ton DD/CL missiles, the Fearless CA had 78 ton CA/BC missiles, essentially 11 vs 10 meters long, while SD capitol missiles were up in the 135-150 ton range.

To go from 78 tons to the Mk-16's 94 is only about a 20% mass increase, though the dimensions may be very different, so was the ERM less than a 20% mass increase?

**In SoSag, the topic of size came up. The SK class couldn't fit in the Mk 14, and the Sag-B's tubes were too small for the Mk-16 (ignoring the need for the fusion plant start-up). While a launcher can fire a missile smaller that the one it is designed for, RFC has always been vague about just how much room there is for a larger missile. I noticed the 20% increase and guessed at a size for the Mk-14 that was 86-90 tons (10-15% larger than the Mk13). Essentially, just splitting the difference.

But it is worth noting, that both the nodes AND the energy supply (capacitors) were products of Ghost Rider, and not available earlier; and some of the greater range is the higher accel, not just a longer run-time. Which, also might increase the ranges on the older missile designs, as well. /Rob

lyonheart wrote:Granted the miniaturization might not have changed the missile's dimensions, then again something could have extended them in some awkward way.

Or could it have been greater in both mass and critical materials, construction time than the Mk-16 etc; while the Mk-16 used far less, so it was indeed a no brainer to switch?

To get to just 12 M Km, would mean a 28% increase over the 180 second standard burn time [>231 seconds], though I feel a 240 second 'burn' for ~13 M km range was a more likely target.

I wouldn't be surprised if Beowulf didn't have some ERM's etc, since only a very close inspection [not going to happen] of all BSDF bases might reveal them.

L

SNIPPING
burn time:
Roszak tells Barregos his Mk17es outranged the Cataphracts (apparently he test-fired some he recovered from the hulked ships). Assuming the Mk17 and the Mk14 have the same range (NOT a testable assumption), I am guessing the Manti ERM to range out to a light minute. Nice, round number. . .

I think your burn time is predicated on the 85K g accel for the Mk13? That being in the 1900-1905, pre-war timeframe, yes? In HOS, Adcock is thinking about missiles, and capitol ship missiles as far back as 1883 had higher accel rates, as well as a 25 lightsecond runtime. I rough-guess that to around 7.5M km, more or less. Quite a bit more than old Nike's cruiser-class missiles (6.9M km, wasn't it?)

missile mass:
The missiles on Wayfarer were 120 ton Mk27C's. Text in HAE. I haven't seen any other text with missile tonnages being explicit for the SD/DN grade missile. Oh except for the odd one in the Fleet Exercise in OBS; then the 75 ton SD laserhead made its one and only appearance.

Oh, and about the age of the Prince Consort cruisers--the Redoubtables were a good 70 years older for the first flight, and the Courageous class lasted almost a century (some still in GSN commission). It isn't the age, it is whether there is room for new equipment in refits-- which the 1850-style Prince Consorts did NOT have. And it was mentioned somewhere that the Redoubtables were having trouble getting parts for repairing systems made last made when the Homer debuted in the 1860s. In addition to being difficult to bring up to spec, both were also personnel hogs in these days of automation; axing them was Janacek's "fleet modernization" program.

For that matter, the Apollos, which are older, are still in use.

Nice to hear from you!

Rob
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Re: ERMs and MDMs
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:15 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Hi Lyonheart,

It gets worse. In HoS, in the short story, RFC had his viewpoint character--the good ol' Brother-in-Law Drone (Adcock) say that the capitol missiles they had, had higher accel and longer burn times than the lighter missiles, like cruisers use. And ISTR, a 25 lightsecond range. Which is a bit further than the listing in the Universe. It was still 1883.

I figure the author has the right to change his story whenever he wants, though. And Saladin in HotQ had 18 missile tubes, not the 20 in the addendum to SVW;and he took the time to get the math right on the salvo numbers. When he wrote HAE he stuck with the 20 from the appendix in SVW, not the original spec in the second novel.

I saw a post years ago (well, back around 1998 or 1999?) on the Bar, when MWW said he sent an older, outdated version of the file for one of those appendices-- but I haven't been to the Bar in a very long time.

Rob

lyonheart wrote:Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply, and yes Rob is much easier. ;)

More missile detail would always be nice, but the missile acceleration has jumped back and forth through the series, up to 96,000 G's in AoV then down to 92,000 in WoH and stayed there with no textev explanation for just one example.

The contradictions in the HoS data versus the early textev are painful to reflect upon, when they could have been so easily incorporated rather than ignored.

L
Re: Wasn't the ERM enough? Why bother with the Mk 16?
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:54 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Thinking of tossing in another facet which I think accounts for why the missile ranges in the RMN and Haven (even in the ERMs) got longer and the missiles faster, without much size change, and then we have a sudden jump to the DDM.

One aside here, keep in mind the DDM and MDM has been known to be desirable from time immemorial, but "until recently in the Honorverse", nobody had figured out how to build one -- the impellers on the first stage blew out the inactive impeller nodes on the second stage. Eventually that problem gets solved and we'll even say "produce-able anywhere in well-traveled space". AKA electronic tech documents on chips would get you that far pretty easy.

One of my problems in the Honorverse in general was the missile acceleration rates, which would squish anything to paper flat...until I realized that ALL missiles also must have well matched inertial compensators so that the effective G-force on the missile body would be rather low. Given that the RMN got the more efficient Grayson-developed IC into fleet production very early in the series, all of the later RMN ship types started kicking the crap out of Haven's similar or just larger size units. Ship for ship they were more maneuverable.

So my brain just went "oh, duh...", part of the superiority of the smaller RMN missiles is IC related, because they are stated to be faster for their size and more maneuverable... So you now have a design setting primed for two-stage, fast missiles, but why the micro-fusion plant (developed for ghost rider drones, etc.) instead of capacitor missiles?

If I remember at all correctly, weren't the capacitor missiles fired up by the ship's fusion plants, and those huge capacitors had a nasty habit of blowing up when hit by laser fire, taking out the tube's ability to fire even if the missile supply is intact? So it seems to me from that we've got all three prongs of range, tactical ability, and ship safety making the Mark-16 a set of combined tech "good ideas" occurring at a reasonable point in the plot sequence.

Thoughts?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by SWM   » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:32 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Sharkhunter:

You are correct that missiles have inertial compensators, of a sort. But they are not the same as ship compensators. It is some kind of inertial compensation built directly into the drives themselves. David says that this would not work on ships. He doesn't explain why; perhaps it only works on very small volumes.

It is not clear whether Manticore has improved the built-in compensation in missiles. Since it is different from ship compensators, there might not be any cross-over. But it is a plausible explanation of increased accelerations.

Yes, capacitor missiles are charged by energy produced by the fusion plants. However, fusion missiles have to be charged up with raw plasma, which is even more dangerous. The text states that fusion missile launchers have extra armor around them to protect the interior of the ship from missiles exploding in the tubes. So fusion missiles are actually a bigger ship safety problem than capacitor missiles.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:42 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:Yes, capacitor missiles are charged by energy produced by the fusion plants. However, fusion missiles have to be charged up with raw plasma, which is even more dangerous. The text states that fusion missile launchers have extra armor around them to protect the interior of the ship from missiles exploding in the tubes. So fusion missiles are actually a bigger ship safety problem than capacitor missiles.
Yep.

Just to recap our understanding (or at least my understanding) -- the switch to fusion powered missiles was due to energy density.

One of their microfusion power plants (plus fuel) is larger than the capacitors necessary to drive a missile for 60/180 seconds (full or half power on a single drive missile), or (apparently) even the capacitors necessary for a ERMs 75 (or more) seconds at full power. But it's smaller than the capacitors needed to power 2 or 3 (or 4) drives.

So adding a microfusion reactor to a SDM or ERM apparently makes the missile larger, while adding on to a DDM or MDM makes it smaller. (Plus of course it adds more power for things like ECM jammers/decoys; dazzlers and dragons teeth)

But it has different safety tradeoffs, and it's much more dangerous if it blows in the launch tube. (It also takes longer to fire than a capacitor powered missile)

Anyway enough with the missile power recap. :)
Post by SharkHunter   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:32 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Thanks for the knowledge bits.

SWM wrote:Sharkhunter:
You are correct that missiles have inertial compensators, of a sort. But they are not the same as ship compensators. It is some kind of inertial compensation built directly into the drives themselves. David says that this would not work on ships. He doesn't explain why; perhaps it only works on very small volumes.

Just guessing at David's statement but I'm thinking "much higher compensator ratio (aka no-carbon based life forms to worry about), not much failsafing and redundant circuitry" on a missile IC, because if a single missile's ICC goes belly up after the missile clears a ship's wedge(especially given that we have yet to see the RMN ships try to fight from "velocity zero", they are always at a reasonable percentage of C by the time battle is oined) it's most likely a "who cares lump of exploded space junk" a fraction of a second later and in no position to harm the ship.

...where probably the most oft quoted bit about an IC failure on a crewed ship is that when it happens, the ship is dead because the "carbon based life forms" are dead. Meaning that there's a whole lot more care and feeding and protecting of that single point of failure than anything other than a reactor's containment field.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all

Return to Honorverse