Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 65 guests

A Call to Duty (SPOILERS)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: A Call to Duty (SPOILERS)
Post by Theemile   » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:39 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tpope wrote:
hvb wrote:Do the Frigates also have a 6 missile capacity in each box-launcher like the heavier classes?

The frigates started with twin launchers (2 missiles per box, 4 per frigate) when they arrived in the Manticore System. There were plans to upgrade the missiles themselves and put on quad-boxes, and I honestly can't remember if they happened before they were retired or not (I don't have my notes open and it's been a while since I've thought about them). They can only control a maximum of 2 missiles at a time however, just like their more modern cousins.

The older ships and corvettes you see flying around in the battle in ACTA have quad launchers, so a maximum of 8 missiles per ship, 4 per launcher. Most, likewise, are capable of controlling no more than two missiles at a time. Ships like the Salamander-class had magazine-fed single-arm launchers, which is where I think you are getting your 6-missile capacity, since each of those was fed by a 6-missile internal rotary magazine.

Since you can't fire a missile through a sidewall, and the "flicker" trick is still relatively new and not very reliable, those turreted arms were falling out of favor by the mid 1500s and being replaced by fixed forward launchers (magazine fed or internal cells) that were either conventional boosters or EM-drivers.

The net result of all of this is a confusing hodge-podge of design decisions in any given Navy (except for the very few that have enough resources to keep on the cutting edge) and it's going to get worse once the first sidewall gunport generator appears on the scene, as suddenly all of those "useless" turreted launchers that can train into the broadside suddenly become a lot less useless.

In some cases we'll see navies, or individual ships classes that have been obsolete for almost a century find ways to get refitted and leapfrog some of the more modern classes that succeeded them.

But that's far in the future. Book 7 or 8 of the trilogy I think... :-)

Yeah, They hired Douglas Adams to write for the Honorverse!!!!!

Wait, that's going to be confusing .... and difficult without a Ouji board.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by hvb   » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:45 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Oh, no! I was wrong!
How could this happen? :shock:

Thanks for the update. I guess I'll have to re-read that passage in ACtA again ... oh, bother. :D

tpope wrote:
hvb wrote:Do the Frigates also have a 6 missile capacity in each box-launcher like the heavier classes?

The frigates started with twin launchers (2 missiles per box, 4 per frigate) [snip] There were plans to upgrade the missiles themselves and put on quad-boxes [snip]

The older ships and corvettes [snip] have quad launchers, [snip]
Ships like the Salamander-class had magazine-fed single-arm launchers, [snip] fed by a 6-missile internal rotary magazine.
[snip]
Post by dreamrider   » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:22 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

tpope wrote:But that's far in the future. Book 7 or 8 of the trilogy I think... :-)

What? Is David thinking of taking over the writing of this thing himself? Are there really other people who use 'MWWathimatics'? :twisted:
Post by Senior Chief   » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:14 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

Randomiser wrote:I really don't know what I think of the book. It was pleasant enough in its way, I suppose, but I don't know if I really warm to Travis Long very much.

That's one of my problems. Travis doesn't seem to have grown very much as a person in between and is still blind to the consequences of his predilection for slavishly following the rules.

I’m kind of concerned they have boxed themselves in and the series isn't really going to fly very well. :(

I just finished reading "A Call to Duty". I spent over 22 years in the USN. I knew an individual like Travis who was in my Bootcamp company. We ended up in the same rating and on the same ship... He never changed and later on he applied and went to OCS and became an officer. I met up with him ten years later and he still had not changed... Unpopular by the crew and the wardroom.

As for the book and the next two that come along; glad that I have a library card because I am not sure at this time as to whether I want this trilogy on my shelf. Only time will tell.

On a side note, I wonder if his half-brother will be a help or hinderence in his career. If his half-brothers die does he become a Baron. Just a thought.
Post by biochem   » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:19 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

I just finished reading "A Call to Duty". I spent over 22 years in the USN. I knew an individual like Travis who was in my Bootcamp company. We ended up in the same rating and on the same ship... He never changed and later on he applied and went to OCS and became an officer. I met up with him ten years later and he still had not changed... Unpopular by the crew and the wardroom.

He starts off as 18 and isn't much older by the end of the book. Some people at 18 never change much for the rest of their lives (your former colleague), others change so profoundly you'd never recognize them 10 years later. In Travis's case as much as he wants to be a rule follower, he recognizes that it isn't the right thing to do all of the time even at 18 (Chomps). As the book progresses he sees more and more cases where exceptions need to be made, and he makes them in spite of his preference for extreme adherence to the rules. So it looks like he will be one of the evolving individuals rather than one of the static individuals.
Post by FLHerne   » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:23 pm

FLHerne
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

biochem wrote: As the book progresses he sees more and more cases where exceptions need to be made, and he makes them in spite of his preference for extreme adherence to the rules. So it looks like he will be one of the evolving individuals rather than one of the static individuals.

The thing is, though, that the already-published short story 'A Call to Arms' is set ten years later; 28-year-old Lieutenant (SG) Travis Long is, if anything, more by-the-book than the 18-year-old P.O. version. :|

It's difficult to see where there's any room for him to evolve that way, unless he subsequently de-evolves for some reason in time for that story.
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:57 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

tpope wrote:
But that's far in the future. Book 7 or 8 of the trilogy I think... :-)

When I first saw this series mentioned it was described as the Travis Long Cycle.

This slightly puzzled me, as I read it as the Travis 'Long Cycle'
but of course that misreading is actually quite compatible with 8 books or maybe 30 :-)
Post by Garth 2   » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:13 am

Garth 2
Captain of the List

From the last chapter in the book, it fairly obvious that one of Travis Longs 'wacky' ideas will be why the RMN defeats the Axelrod Corporation.
Post by saber964   » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:44 pm

saber964
Admiral

Garth 2 wrote:From the last chapter in the book, it fairly obvious that one of Travis Longs 'wacky' ideas will be why the RMN defeats the Axelrod Corporation.

Already happened, read A Call To Arms in Beginnings HA6
Post by Garth 2   » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:19 am

Garth 2
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:
Garth 2 wrote:From the last chapter in the book, it fairly obvious that one of Travis Longs 'wacky' ideas will be why the RMN defeats the Axelrod Corporation.

Already happened, read A Call To Arms in Beginnings HA6

Forgotten about that one.
May be the Manticore Ascendance series will link into that short story.

Return to Honorverse