Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 53 guests

Human Treecat Names

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Human Treecat Names
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:41 am

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

tlb wrote:
Shannon_Foraker wrote:What do you think Sonja's treecat name might be?

In To End in Fire we learn that her guard-cat's name is Hunts Silently, but we do not see the cat think of her name.

Thats why I was asking this forum.
Post by tlb   » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:57 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
Shannon_Foraker wrote:What do you think Sonja's treecat name might be?

In To End in Fire we learn that her guard-cat's name is Hunts Silently, but we do not see the cat think of her name.

Shannon_Foraker wrote:That's why I was asking this forum.

I briefly wondered if cats only gave names to those that are bonded, but then it was noted that Tom Theisman was called "Dreams of Peace" and I do not believe that he is bonded.
Post by Somtaaw   » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:52 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

tlb wrote:I briefly wondered if cats only gave names to those that are bonded, but then it was noted that Tom Theisman was called "Dreams of Peace" and I do not believe that he is bonded.

He's not, so far of all the treecat bodyguards that started after the Yawata, Firewatch is the only treecat that has been mentioned to bond with the VIP.

Theisman, Uncle Jacques, Willie Alexander, Pritchart and any surviving Havenites that weren't at the Beowulf Conference, Sonja & Shannon, and any other (surviving) VIPs I've missed are all just "really good friends" with their cat bodyguards.

Chien-Lu is one of the few Andies who got catted for protection from nanite assassins, although I don't believe we saw anything concerning cats for the Emperor Gustav or other members of his court. I think it got mentioned Gustav would be mildly peeved about that, but also understands he can't compel citizens of other nations to do as he wishes.

Of course I don't think any treecat has actually been allowed near the Emperor or his court yet, so it's a little hard for the Memory Singers to give mind-glow tastings to volunteers when they don't (yet) have those samples. Given another few years, as Chien-Lu went home, and upon his next visit to Manticore (with his cat) there will undoubtedly be some volunteers going back with him. Possibly even the start of a full colony as Honor mused a few books back that the Cats were likely going to try and settle a colony on Gryphon and even San Martin to avoid keeping their eggs all in the one basket of Sphinx.
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:02 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Somtaaw wrote:
tlb wrote:I briefly wondered if cats only gave names to those that are bonded, but then it was noted that Tom Theisman was called "Dreams of Peace" and I do not believe that he is bonded.

He's not, so far of all the treecat bodyguards that started after the Yawata, Firewatch is the only treecat that has been mentioned to bond with the VIP.

Theisman, Uncle Jacques, Willie Alexander, Pritchart and any surviving Havenites that weren't at the Beowulf Conference, Sonja & Shannon, and any other (surviving) VIPs I've missed are all just "really good friends" with their cat bodyguards.

Chien-Lu is one of the few Andies who got catted for protection from nanite assassins, although I don't believe we saw anything concerning cats for the Emperor Gustav or other members of his court. I think it got mentioned Gustav would be mildly peeved about that, but also understands he can't compel citizens of other nations to do as he wishes.

Of course I don't think any treecat has actually been allowed near the Emperor or his court yet, so it's a little hard for the Memory Singers to give mind-glow tastings to volunteers when they don't (yet) have those samples. Given another few years, as Chien-Lu went home, and upon his next visit to Manticore (with his cat) there will undoubtedly be some volunteers going back with him. Possibly even the start of a full colony as Honor mused a few books back that the Cats were likely going to try and settle a colony on Gryphon and even San Martin to avoid keeping their eggs all in the one basket of Sphinx.

Despite Shannon not having a canonical treecat, I believe she should have one. You are smart to presume she has one, especially because the treecats might help convince her and Sonja to admit their feelings for each other (Yes, I ship the two, just like rose did, when she was still active here). Thank you for that! :D
Post by Somtaaw   » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:29 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Shannon_Foraker wrote:Despite Shannon not having a canonical treecat, I believe she should have one. You are smart to presume she has one, especially because the treecats might help convince her and Sonja to admit their feelings for each other (Yes, I ship the two, just like rose did, when she was still active here). Thank you for that! :D

It was my understanding that Sonja and the Weyland team brought a few extra cats with them, and both Nimitz & Samantha have tasted Shannon when she was "captured" in Silesia prior to Honor going and dealing with Warnecke.

That's one of the pre-requisites for all Havenite officers that got catted, they had to have come near a cat previously. Theisman, Tourville, and Shannon all did long ago, and every single other Havenite officers who we know got catted were part of the Havenite fleets that have fought attacking or defending Manticore recently.

Since Shannon is as important to Haven for R&D as Sonja is to Manticore this heavily suggests she was also catted, and she does fill the mandatory prerequisite above of having previously been around cats (and Sam is a memory singer) so they know what her mind-glow is like.

What was it someone said in another topic, that an absence of evidence is not evidence of absence? Just because we haven't seen Shannon interacting with her own cat bodyguard doesn't mean she wasn't catted.
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:30 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Somtaaw wrote:
Shannon_Foraker wrote:Despite Shannon not having a canonical treecat, I believe she should have one. You are smart to presume she has one, especially because the treecats might help convince her and Sonja to admit their feelings for each other (Yes, I ship the two, just like rose did, when she was still active here). Thank you for that! :D

It was my understanding that Sonja and the Weyland team brought a few extra cats with them, and both Nimitz & Samantha have tasted Shannon when she was "captured" in Silesia prior to Honor going and dealing with Warnecke.

That's one of the pre-requisites for all Havenite officers that got catted, they had to have come near a cat previously. Theisman, Tourville, and Shannon all did long ago, and every single other Havenite officers who we know got catted were part of the Havenite fleets that have fought attacking or defending Manticore recently.

Since Shannon is as important to Haven for R&D as Sonja is to Manticore this heavily suggests she was also catted, and she does fill the mandatory prerequisite above of having previously been around cats (and Sam is a memory singer) so they know what her mind-glow is like.

What was it someone said in another topic, that an absence of evidence is not evidence of absence? Just because we haven't seen Shannon interacting with her own cat bodyguard doesn't mean she wasn't catted.

Also, with her saving Nimitz in IEH, as the cats have found out about that via sign (why would they have not?), that would make her even more likely to be catted. I'd say she was one of the first catted that wasn't on Manticore, likely, due to her importance in R&D.

What do you think the cats thought of her? What do you think a cat that's paired with her would be like? Just wondering.
Post by tlb   » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:07 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Shannon_Foraker wrote:Also, with her saving Nimitz in IEH, as the cats have found out about that via sign (why would they have not?), that would make her even more likely to be catted. I'd say she was one of the first catted that wasn't on Manticore, likely, due to her importance in R&D.

One problem, when she is seen in To End in Fire, she does not appear with a cat companion; but Sonja does. Considering how sociable cats are and their duty to the assigned two-legs; if Shannon has a cat companion, then we should have seen one at that meeting.

Also then they would probably have given their names for the two-legs, as well as their own.
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:17 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:

I have always felt that Shannon may not be catted for the same reason she is not dating or married. She is much too busy. Her mind is on her work. Same goes for Sonja.

Albeit, I used to think the same thing about Einstein as well, until I found out he had a beloved housecat named Tiger that saw him through many of his theories. So, what do I know.

At any rate, Shannon and Sonja probably do not get out very much at all. They might spend very long hours tinkering and doodling. Both women probably go for long hours without eating. I am not sure either woman would be good for a treecat, or a husband, long-term.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:27 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I have always felt that Shannon may not be catted for the same reason she is not dating or married. She is much too busy. Her mind is on her work. Same goes for Sonja.

Albeit, I used to think the same thing about Einstein as well, until I found out he had a beloved housecat named Tiger that saw him through many of his theories. So, what do I know.

At any rate, Shannon and Sonja probably do not get out very much at all. They might spend very long hours tinkering and doodling. Both women probably go for long hours without eating. I am not sure either woman would be good for a treecat, or a husband, long-term.

However we know from To end in Fire that Sonja does have a guardian cat and Shannon might not. So the question could be: why one and not the other?

As for the lack of a husband, they could have each other and not need anyone else.
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:06 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:I have always felt that Shannon may not be catted for the same reason she is not dating or married. She is much too busy. Her mind is on her work. Same goes for Sonja.

However we know from To end in Fire that Sonja does have a guardian cat and Shannon might not. So the question could be: why one and not the other?

As for the lack of a husband, they could have each other and not need anyone else.

If the two of them are joined at the hip, then only one Cat is needed.

If they have each other, then lesbian relationships might screw a Cat up trying to wrap all of his hands and arms around that one. I suppose Nimitz had a little experience. Just a tad. But still.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse