Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 135 guests

Honorverse Wishlist

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse Wishlist
Post by Roguevictory   » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:37 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:I would like to see the Sollie Navy against
the Haven Navy. Just for a change.
Let the Havenites have the Tech Advantage for a change!

HTM

Ooh yes this.

RHN Commander before battle: Now we all know that in war nothing is certain but that day I'm sure we have all dreamed of, the day where our technology utterly outclasses that of our enemies has finally come. All ships prepare to engage the enemy.
Post by NervousEnergy   » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:22 pm

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

More books.
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:32 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I could only dream of the conversation between Admiral Theisman and Admiral Redmont. Only dream of it.

Storm From the Shadows
"Admiral Redmont and I have already met, Mr. Secretary," Michelle told him.

"So I understand." Theisman smiled thinly. "On the other hand, a little more time has passed since then, and Admiral Redmont and I have had the opportunity to . . . discuss his actions at Solon."

"Sir, Admiral Redmont didn't—"

"I didn't say I didn't understand what happened, Admiral," Theisman told her. "And, if we're going to be honest, I might very well have reacted the same way if I'd thought you'd deliberately waited to abandon ship until you knew I'd sailed into your ambush. But if we're going to keep a handle on atrocities and counter-atrocities, then anytime something like this comes along, it needs to be addressed squarely. I don't doubt that Admiral Redmont acted correctly after he'd picked up your surviving people. And I don't doubt that the two of you handled yourselves with proper professional courtesy. I hope, however, that you'll accept my invitation and give all of us an opportunity to discuss the incident and our reactions to it in a less . . . charged atmosphere, shall we say?"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:12 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:
Howard T. Map-addict wrote:I would like to see the Sollie Navy against
the Haven Navy. Just for a change.
Let the Havenites have the Tech Advantage for a change!

HTM

Ooh yes this.

RHN Commander before battle: Now we all know that in war nothing is certain but that day I'm sure we have all dreamed of, the day where our technology utterly outclasses that of our enemies has finally come. All ships prepare to engage the enemy.

This needs to happen.

I mean, this needs to happen.

And if Jennifer Bellefeuille is in command of the task force in question, so much the better.

I also need a scene of Tom and Honor just kicking back and relaxing with a couple bottles of Old Tillman and absolutely nothing on the agenda but shooting the breeze.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:30 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

I want Sabrina Longmont back.

Hint, hint! :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by evilauthor   » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:33 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

I wish for...

...new books to have entirely self contained stories that have a discernible beginning and end.

...that new books NOT really be parts of an even larger book that was split up into multiple volumes that are each released months or even years apart.

...that new books NOT repeat events already covered in prior books so that the timeline can actually progress forward.

...that events of significance actually happen throughout the book, not one event that gets analyzed repeatedly by different sets of characters who wind up all saying more or less the same thing.

...that scenes from prior books aren't lifted wholesale and repeated verbatim in new books. If you're going to repeat a scene from a prior book, at least have the decency to rewrite it from the perspective of a different viewpoint character.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:36 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

evilauthor wrote:I wish for...

...new books to have entirely self contained stories that have a discernible beginning and end.

Sometimes that's not what the overall saga needs.
...that new books NOT really be parts of an even larger book that was split up into multiple volumes that are each released months or even years apart.

That's often driven by the publisher, not the author.
...that new books NOT repeat events already covered in prior books so that the timeline can actually progress forward.

Recaps can explain what's happening to people who haven't read the other book.
...that events of significance actually happen throughout the book, not one event that gets analyzed repeatedly by different sets of characters who wind up all saying more or less the same thing.

...that scenes from prior books aren't lifted wholesale and repeated verbatim in new books. If you're going to repeat a scene from a prior book, at least have the decency to rewrite it from the perspective of a different viewpoint character.

---------------
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!
Post by vietnamabc   » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:18 am

vietnamabc
Ensign

How Kevin Usher met Ginny and what favor did he do for Oscar Saint-Just.
Post by Duckk   » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:29 am

Duckk
Site Admin

what favor did he do for Oscar Saint-Just.

In The Short Victorious War, he was part of the team which killed the head of InSec, thereby promoting Saint-Just to the big seat.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by evilauthor   » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:35 am

evilauthor
Captain of the List

Imaginos1892 wrote:Sometimes that's not what the overall saga needs.

And sometimes that's exactly what it needs.

That's often driven by the publisher, not the author.

So what? This is a wish list, not a letter to Weber.

And I wish for... substantially meatier books.

Recaps can explain what's happening to people who haven't read the other book.

I'd prefer if recaps not take up a third to half of a new book. Or more. A single chapter or prologue should be enough to bring new readers up to speed.

Return to Honorverse