Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 151 guests

LAC vs Aerospace Fighters

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: LAC vs Aerospace Fighters
Post by Roguevictory   » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:29 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

hairbear541 wrote:morning RFC and the whole gang ,just got finished reading the past 2 days posts . thanks for at least hearing my side out ,and no I hadn't really envisioned such a huge size difference . I guess that goes hand in glove with my wet navy thinking where I was basicly get my size comparisons . I keep forgetting even the smallest WS of the honorverse is still about the size and wt of a Nimitz or Reagan class CVN .
to RFC I've been reading honor from back in the anthology days , before she even had a series . and through her I found all the rest of your multiverse of charactors in there own pocket verses . may you enjoy as many more years as already lived .
the original old salty sea dog

Wait there were Honor stories before OBS?
Post by drothgery   » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:03 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:Wait there were Honor stories before OBS?
No (at least, not outside of RFC's private notes). There are short stories about Honor set before OBS, but they were written later.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:52 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

drothgery wrote:
No (at least, not outside of RFC's private notes). There are short stories about Honor set before OBS, but they were written later.

The stories are in the earlier "honorverse" books. There are no full length novels prior to OBS in the honorverse timeline.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Duckk   » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:20 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Well, there's the Manticore Ascendent trilogy, but that's a just a wee bit earlier in the timeline than I think we were discussing...
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Roguevictory   » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:45 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

drothgery wrote:

Oops I thought by earlier hairbair meant stories that were published earlier not ones set earlier in the series timeline.
Post by saber964   » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:32 pm

saber964
Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:
hairbear541 wrote:morning RFC and the whole gang ,just got finished reading the past 2 days posts . thanks for at least hearing my side out ,and no I hadn't really envisioned such a huge size difference . I guess that goes hand in glove with my wet navy thinking where I was basicly get my size comparisons . I keep forgetting even the smallest WS of the honorverse is still about the size and wt of a Nimitz or Reagan class CVN .
to RFC I've been reading honor from back in the anthology days , before she even had a series . and through her I found all the rest of your multiverse of charactors in there own pocket verses . may you enjoy as many more years as already lived .
the original old salty sea dog

Wait there were Honor stories before OBS?

There are a multitude of pre-OBS short stories.

IIRC Queen's Gambit set 1883 PD
Hard Way Home set 1890 PD
Ms. Midshipwoman Harrington set 1879 PD
What Price Dreams? set 1651 PD
Promised Land set 1892 PD
Ruthless set 1895 PD
Lets Dance set 1899 PD
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:41 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

hairbear541 wrote:to RFC I've been reading honor from back in the anthology days , before she even had a series . and through her I found all the rest of your multiverse of charactors in there own pocket verses . may you enjoy as many more years as already lived .

saber964 wrote:

There are a multitude of pre-OBS short stories.

IIRC Queen's Gambit set 1883 PD
Hard Way Home set 1890 PD
Ms. Midshipwoman Harrington set 1879 PD
What Price Dreams? set 1651 PD
Promised Land set 1892 PD
Ruthless set 1895 PD
Lets Dance set 1899 PD
Depends on what you mean by "before". Yes those, like the Manticore Ascendant series Duckk mentioned, are all set before the events of On Basilisk Station.

But hairbear541's original post seemed to be talking about publication dates; that he'd been reading anthologies about Honor back before OBS was published.

However since OBS was first published in 1992, and the first anthology More than Honor wasn't published until '98 (between Short Victorious War and Field of Dishonor) either that's not what he meant, or he was mistaken.
But publication vs chronological has been the confusion for most of the last page of this thread :D
Post by hairbear541   » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:41 am

hairbear541
Ensign

gentlemen what I mean by anthologies is quite simple , a group of short stories written by different authors all compiled into a single volume for public reading . and yes in my own library are several volumes of anthologies with an HH short story in it .
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:00 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

hairbear541 wrote:gentlemen what I mean by anthologies is quite simple , a group of short stories written by different authors all compiled into a single volume for public reading . and yes in my own library are several volumes of anthologies with an HH short story in it .

The question isn't, "what is an anthology," but do you have anthologies we don't?
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by MaxxQ   » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:46 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

hairbear541 wrote:gentlemen what I mean by anthologies is quite simple , a group of short stories written by different authors all compiled into a single volume for public reading . and yes in my own library are several volumes of anthologies with an HH short story in it .

hairbear541 wrote:I've been reading honor from back in the anthology days , before she even had a series .

This is the sentence that's causing the problem, as there was nothing Honor-related "before she even had a series". The series came before the anthologies. As noted upthread, the first Honorverse anthology published came out between the third and fourth novels.

Return to Honorverse