Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests

McQueen vs Pritchart

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: McQueen vs Pritchart
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:42 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:St Just was hardly running "a new Peep Government".

Weird Harold wrote:
Hence the term "Fig leaf." :roll:

Roguevictory wrote:McQueen running the PRH would be a much more substantial fig leaf then St. Just had.
I agree, but I also agree with drothgery's earlier post that a successful McQueen coupe means no Operation Hassan, no High Ridge government, and therefore nobody looking for reasons to pause or stop the war short of total victory.

Which makes her superior fig leaf status fairly irrelevant; there being no market for fig leaves in this situation. :D
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:00 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
kzt wrote:St Just was hardly running "a new Peep Government".

Weird Harold wrote:
Hence the term "Fig leaf." :roll:

Roguevictory wrote:McQueen running the PRH would be a much more substantial fig leaf then St. Just had.
I agree, but I also agree with drothgery's earlier post that a successful McQueen coupe means no Operation Hassan, no High Ridge government, and therefore nobody looking for reasons to pause or stop the war short of total victory.

Which makes her superior fig leaf status fairly irrelevant; there being no market for fig leaves in this situation. :D

What he said^^^
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:17 pm

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

Jonathan_S wrote:McQueen running the PRH would be a much more substantial fig leaf then St. Just had.

Which makes her superior fig leaf status fairly irrelevant; there being no market for fig leaves in this situation. :D[/quote]

Ok, I am going to ask the dumb question:
Why wouldn't the Cromarity government not be interested in McQueen's coup as a possible change in how the PRH is?
In a world where all things are possible, I turn to asking the liklyhood that Pierre and Saint Jus being dead would not alter the thinking of the Manties. Couldn't a case be made that the coup would start a good change?
We don't know where McQueen stood on the fiscal reforms needed, but suppose, just suppose, she was the the right side, do you all think she would be unable to wrangle the Manties into a temprary ceasefire, maybe even permenant, with promises of no further hostile action?
Or am I just grasping at fig leaves? :shock: :twisted: :lol:
My overall argument basically is we don't know enough about her other views of the political situation to know what actions she would take upon acheiving power.
Post by kzt   » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:32 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I suspect her attitude would be "I'm going to end this damn war and I'll throw everyone from statesec and the previous goverment under the bus as part of the process."
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:37 pm

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

kzt wrote:I suspect her attitude would be "I'm going to end this damn war and I'll throw everyone from statesec and the previous goverment under the bus as part of the process."

My thoughts exactly. :lol:
I am not saying she wouldn't have gone back to war with sufficient strength, but I don't thinkshe would have. I think she knew she had too much inhouse problems to deal with.
Convincing the Manties of it is another story, but if the government that killed Elizabeths father, and the goevernment that followed that, had both been overthrown, then she might have been willing to give McQueen a chance to clean house and make peace.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:32 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Commodore Oakius wrote:
Ok, I am going to ask the dumb question:
Why wouldn't the Cromarity government not be interested in McQueen's coup as a possible change in how the PRH is?
In a world where all things are possible, I turn to asking the liklyhood that Pierre and Saint Jus being dead would not alter the thinking of the Manties. Couldn't a case be made that the coup would start a good change?
We don't know where McQueen stood on the fiscal reforms needed, but suppose, just suppose, she was the the right side, do you all think she would be unable to wrangle the Manties into a temprary ceasefire, maybe even permenant, with promises of no further hostile action?
Or am I just grasping at fig leaves? :shock: :twisted: :lol:
My overall argument basically is we don't know enough about her other views of the political situation to know what actions she would take upon acheiving power.

They might be perfectly happy to have her rebuilding the People Republic. Just as soon as the RMN finished smashing the bulk of her fleet and receiving her unconditional surrender.

When you've got that much military advantage it doesn't make much sense to call a halt. Especially in response to a successful military coupe by one of your enemy's top admirals.

Remember, Manticore expected to need no more than a couple months to force an end to the war regardless of what the current Havenite government did. Without the ability to offer a significantly earlier, or lower cost, end to the war a Havenite government doesn't have much to bargain with. (Though I guess a conditional surrender offer would likely be entertained; at least briefly)

And heck, if McQueen's sole terms were that she remain in power Cromarty and Elizabeth might well have gone for that. (Now who knows how well McQueen would be able to rebuild after such a disaster...)

Return to Honorverse