Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThinksMarkedly and 14 guests

Power Cupid Question Hour

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Power Cupid Question Hour
Post by SharkHunter   » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:55 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Abigail Hearns and....

A heretofore off-stage son of Terekhov. Likely a few years ahead of Abigail at Saganami Island, maybe serving with distinction in Silesia in cruisers, etc.

Gotta get the two together, of course. Maybe roseandheather over at BuPers can arrange the transfer? meetup? membership in the ALL GA junior officer's poker tournament?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:43 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Okay y'all, Mark Sarnow and...

I'd nominate Michelle Henke but only if Michael O. isn't available per she who enjoys this game way too much for me to let this thread die peacefully.

My logic is that he's a tenor and she has perfect pitch, so she might not have to throttle the feller if he tries to sing one of those ditty(s) along with Cathy M.

I could be mistaken however. Any other candidates?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by drothgery   » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:55 am

drothgery
Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:Okay y'all, Mark Sarnow and...

I'd nominate Michelle Henke but only if Michael O. isn't available per she who enjoys this game way too much for me to let this thread die peacefully.

My logic is that he's a tenor and she has perfect pitch, so she might not have to throttle the feller if he tries to sing one of those ditty(s) along with Cathy M.

Erm... there's Word of Weber that Sarnow is
1) Married and 2) Gay.
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:37 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

drothgery wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:Okay y'all, Mark Sarnow and...

Erm... there's Word of Weber that Sarnow is
1) Married and 2) Gay.
:?: :shock:

Any textev or Pearl or other on that? If so zero fun on this thread.
---------------------
Post by JeffEngel   » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:45 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:
drothgery wrote:Erm... there's Word of Weber that Sarnow is
1) Married and 2) Gay.

Zero fun? We can assume he's got his happy ending that way. Mission accomplished, even if we didn't have to do anything for it or even see it happen. Grats Mark! Wooo! And for that matter, running Silesia isn't likely to send him hurtling around far from a central location for months or years on end, or going on frequent death rides, so his husband doesn't have to spend sleepless nights worrying like Sinead Terekhov or Emily Alexander-Harrington.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:39 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:
1) Married and 2) Gay.

I don't think it made it into the Pearls, but here's a link to his (lengthy) post that includes those tidbits.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4508&p=112492&hilit=Sarnow+husband#p112492

Or, if you prefer, here are the tidbits (I bolded the key parts) themselves
runsforcelery wrote:As for nitpicking over issues like "man and wife," that is a choice to be made by the couple involved in the marriage. Manticore has no problem with "husband and wife" or even "man and woman," or for that matter "husband and husband." (Although, again, I don't think it's ever been expressly stated in the novels, Admiral Sarnow is gay, and when it is mentioned in Allison Harrington's thoughts that bisexuality is part of the Grayson social matrix because of the numbers of wives who have to share a single husband, I sort of assumed that the tenor of her thoughts made it fairly clear that she thought it was a ridiculous thing to worry about, that Sphinx was more "straightlaced" (one might even say a tad reactionary) in that sense than Manticore (the planet) or Beowulf (that is, there are planetary cultural differences), and that as soon as the thought occurs to her she realizes that Honor — the quintessential Sphinxian — would never have been concerned about it one way or the other. Have I deliberately crafted a homosexual relationship and brought it center stage to show my enlightenment? No. I haven't seen any reason I ought to have done so. My purpose in writing these books is not to espouse ironclad social or cultural principles which I think ought to apply. I am not myself homosexual and have never had any desire to be so, that does not mean that I do not have any friends who are. If it were germane to this story to tell you that someone is homosexual, I would undoubtedly do so. It has not been germane in, for example the case of Sarnow, because you have never met the male individual to whom he is married and so it has never been germane to the story line.
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:45 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:I don't think it made it into the Pearls, but here's a link to his (lengthy) post that includes those tidbits.

runsforcelery wrote:As for nitpicking over issues like "man and wife," that is a choice to be made by the couple involved in the marriage. Manticore has no problem with "husband and wife" or even "man and woman," or for that matter "husband and husband." (Although, again, I don't think it's ever been expressly stated in the novels, Admiral Sarnow is gay, and when it is mentioned in Allison Harrington's thoughts that bisexuality is part of the Grayson social matrix because of the numbers of wives who have to share a single husband, I sort of assumed that the tenor of her thoughts made it fairly clear that she thought it was a ridiculous thing to worry about, that Sphinx was more "straightlaced" (one might even say a tad reactionary) in that sense than Manticore (the planet) or Beowulf (that is, there are planetary cultural differences), and that as soon as the thought occurs to her she realizes that Honor — the quintessential Sphinxian — would never have been concerned about it one way or the other. Have I deliberately crafted a homosexual relationship and brought it center stage to show my enlightenment? No. I haven't seen any reason I ought to have done so. My purpose in writing these books is not to espouse ironclad social or cultural principles which I think ought to apply. I am not myself homosexual and have never had any desire to be so, that does not mean that I do not have any friends who are. If it were germane to this story to tell you that someone is homosexual, I would undoubtedly do so. It has not been germane in, for example the case of Sarnow, because you have never met the male individual to whom he is married and so it has never been germane to the story line.

Cue noisy and frequent demands - I mean requests - to meet Sarnow's hubby. In which I participated. Because anyone married to Mark Sarnow has got to be awesome.

(I still think the next prominent pairing is going to be Augustus and Estelle - if it's not Shannon and Sonja.)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by stewart   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:45 am

stewart
Captain of the List

Michelle Henke / Chiu-Lin Andermann -- this would be both a good dynastic match and a good personality match

Helen Zilwicki / Paulo d'Arezzo -- this is locked in
Abigail Hearns / Aubrey Wanderman -- Aubrey NEEDS to be armtwisted into OCS

Warner Caslet / Shannon Foraker -- I detected a spark between them but their previous chain of command relationship precluded anything

Warner Caslet / Andrea Jaruwalski --
Rafael Cardones / Andrea Jaruwalski
Warner Caslet / Ginger Lewis
Rafael Cardones / Ginger Lewis
Gwen Archer / Helga Boltitz -- this one, like Zilwicki-d'Arezzo is locked in

Scotty Tremaine / Shannon Foraker
Lester Tourville / Mercedes Brigham
Abigail Hearns / Carson Clinkscales

-- Stewart
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:53 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

stewart wrote:Michelle Henke / Chiu-Lin Andermann -- this would be both a good dynastic match and a good personality match

Helen Zilwicki / Paulo d'Arezzo -- this is locked in
Abigail Hearns / Aubrey Wanderman -- Aubrey NEEDS to be armtwisted into OCS

Warner Caslet / Shannon Foraker -- I detected a spark between them but their previous chain of command relationship precluded anything

Warner Caslet / Andrea Jaruwalski --
Rafael Cardones / Andrea Jaruwalski
Warner Caslet / Ginger Lewis
Rafael Cardones / Ginger Lewis
Gwen Archer / Helga Boltitz -- this one, like Zilwicki-d'Arezzo is locked in

Scotty Tremaine / Shannon Foraker
Lester Tourville / Mercedes Brigham
Abigail Hearns / Carson Clinkscales

-- Stewart

So instead of polygamy, Abigail is going in for polyandry?
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:23 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:
1) Married and 2) Gay.

Johnathan_S wrote:I don't think it made it into the Pearls, but here's a link to his (lengthy) post that includes those tidbits.

Well howdy doody. What have we here? Open the door a little and life will kick it in. This means that the ship hasn't sailed on the possibility of a melding of mushes, er bushes. Go Shannon and Sonja! We all know how 'au naturel' female/female love is. It's sooooo ahhhhhhhh!

'Course, this opens up for some interesting questions.
1. How much faster will the Keys spinning in their graves in apoplexy over certain revelations now power the planet?

2. What would be the treecat name for someone so enlightened as Sarnow?

3. Would said enlightenment have an effect on the palatable taste of a treecat for such a mindglow?

NPFP! NPFP! (No pitchforks please.)

I commend RFC for his views and I concur wholeheartedly. Why should love be denied to anyone? I am also uninterested in another man in that fashion, but I also have a few friends whose lifestyle does, yet have remained amongst my most cherished and decent friends. I just personally like the love of a woman. They have more to soothe, this savage beast, in the way of bounty. :D

However, I can understand the appeal if one's heart does for them as a woman's does for me. (And there would be the added benefit, or lack thereof, of monthly mood swings.)

Having said that. And purely from a scientific perspective...

4. In my limited understanding of homosexuality, as I understand it, choice is not available to most because of a genetic predisposition from a possible hormonal imbalance.

Strictly from a scientific perspective. Wouldn't certain options be available in the genetically conquered Honorverse to prevent certain type births occurring? Especially since most births are tubed?

Again. Purely as a scientific interest!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse