Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests

Beowulf mimicing the idea of Maya

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Beowulf mimicing the idea of Maya
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:43 am

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

I searched the threads but could not find anything discussing this possiblity, a lot of hinting but nothing direct:
After the collapse of the Solarian League, accorsing to what has become called the Harrington Doctrine, the Leauge needsto be broken into smaller groups that goveren themselves. What are the odds of Beowulf becoming a leader and rallying systems, especially the 1/4 or so of the memeber who didn't vote for the inquiry on them, around them and starting a "League of their Own!"
(sorry couldn't resist)
It seems logical to be for them to be a rallying point, even before the League formally ends.
Re: Beowulf mimicing the idea of Maya
Post by pokermind   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:30 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

With the collapse of the Merchant shipping, and communications within the League more and more clusters may be force to go it on their own, and make peace with the Alliance. As the war continues the interstellar corporations may decide the Mandarins have out lived their usefulness, war is bad for business. The fragmentation of the League is also a goal of the Onion.

League strategy of commerce raiding will result in retaliation making the bad situation worse for interstellar commerce.

This is my take on the situation RFC will no doubt surprize us who speculate, he always does. ;)

Poker
Last edited by pokermind on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by csantana183   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:30 am

csantana183
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I think that's highly likely, Beowulf been around since the beginning of the League and if i read correctly in some of the early writing on it has sponsored colonies. They never tried to create a larger group because they were already inside the League but when they break away some of these worlds will probably follow and they will form some kind of government How big I thinks that's up to Mr. Weber.
Post by Hutch   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:37 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

csantana183 wrote:I think that's highly likely, Beowulf been around since the beginning of the League and if i read correctly in some of the early writing on it has sponsored colonies. They never tried to create a larger group because they were already inside the League but when they break away some of these worlds will probably follow and they will form some kind of government How big I thinks that's up to Mr. Weber.

Concur, csantana. From A Rising Thunder, we know that a couple of Beowulf's neighbors (whom were mentioned in the SL Senate) are also contemplating secession (as mentioned by the Mandarins a chatper later in ART).

And I would think more of a 'Confederacy' at first, with shared interests and mutual defense pacts, rather than any form of firm union. But depending on what happens when the SLN shows up at Beowulf, I expect the process of collapse to increase markedly, with Beowulf being a center of stability for those now cast adrift.

We shall see, eventually.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:25 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

We saw a situation developing just before the vote to "investigate" Beowulf where a number of the regular trading partners voted against them and seemed to be activly working together to take Beowulf down a notch or two.

So much for the stability of some long term relationships when various people think they smell blood in the water. On the other hand, while those close (in spatial terms) partners are now manuvering for positions in the changing League situation, Beowulf has other partners. Those include daughter colonies and Manticore who will provide solid trading partnerships and political attachments.

The situation is changing for the League Members and the various economic &/or political blocks both within and outside the League. Without the promise/threat of the SLN to punish those who disrupt the peace within the League, lots of systems are going to start doing more to line up political and military partnerships to protect themselves.

Maya, on the other hand, is mostly a cluster of systems outside the League which is essentialy a collection of protectorates under OFS. It is the OFS Governor himself that is driving the formation of what is supposed to spin-off from League control as its own little empire. That would be an "empire" in the best sence of the usage with a power structure that will be activly engaged in improving and protecting the lot of it's citizens instead of some petty dictator or warlord who wants only to amass power and riches for themselves. Barrigos (spelling) is looking to create a working unit which will be able to not only survive the comming crisis but develope into a power in it's own right which will be able to remain free of all of the potential nasty things that may happen when things go into the septic tank for the League.

Beowulf has been getting some nasty treatment from a number of it's supposed friends but is in the position to remake it's network of trading and treaty partners beyond Manticore and other members of the GA.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:52 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I wonder if Beowulf might be a eventual candidate for membership in the SEM.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by robert132   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:19 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Hutch wrote:Concur, csantana. From A Rising Thunder, we know that a couple of Beowulf's neighbors (whom were mentioned in the SL Senate) are also contemplating secession (as mentioned by the Mandarins a chatper later in ART).

And I would think more of a 'Confederacy' at first, with shared interests and mutual defense pacts, rather than any form of firm union. But depending on what happens when the SLN shows up at Beowulf, I expect the process of collapse to increase markedly, with Beowulf being a center of stability for those now cast adrift.

We shall see, eventually.

IIRC Beowulf itself colonized other systems. I think it possible, perhaps even likely that those other systems or at least some of them will break away from the League and join with Beowulf. As you say, it will become a center of stability in that sector.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by 7thsealord   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:09 am

7thsealord
Commander

n7axw wrote:I wonder if Beowulf might be a eventual candidate for membership in the SEM.

Don

Given the ... reputation of Beowulfers in certain quarters (in the good ol' days, at least), I can see a few Manticorean pollies having a cow about your idea.

Mantiicore and Beowulf are already very closely connected (and inter-connected), but I suspect that Beowulf would prefer to stay "just friends", so to speak. Still, stranger things have happened, or are happening, or WILL happen.
----------------------------------------------------

“I want my epitaph to be ‘Doggone If He Wasn’t Trying His Best’.”
“I want mine to be ‘We Buried What Pieces We Could Find’.”

Wondermark
Post by SWM   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:54 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:We saw a situation developing just before the vote to "investigate" Beowulf where a number of the regular trading partners voted against them and seemed to be activly working together to take Beowulf down a notch or two.

So much for the stability of some long term relationships when various people think they smell blood in the water. On the other hand, while those close (in spatial terms) partners are now manuvering for positions in the changing League situation, Beowulf has other partners. Those include daughter colonies and Manticore who will provide solid trading partnerships and political attachments.

You mean, daughter colonies like Visigoth? :mrgreen:
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Hornblower   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:43 am

Hornblower
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

SWM wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:We saw a situation developing just before the vote to "investigate" Beowulf where a number of the regular trading partners voted against them and seemed to be activly working together to take Beowulf down a notch or two.

You mean, daughter colonies like Visigoth? :mrgreen:

Well, Visigoth is on the other side (MAlign) :(

Return to Honorverse