Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 128 guests

Constitutional Powers of Grayson

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Constitutional Powers of Grayson
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

SWM wrote:I'm afraid you still don't understand the mindset. That comes from thinking of Grayson in terms of democracy. Grayson is not a democracy. It does not want to become a democracy. Even Benjamin does not intend it to become a democracy. Yes, he wants to give greater power to the Council of Steaders. But the Council of Steadholders is and will continue to be an aristocracy.

If rich Graysons, born or naturalized, want political power, they can join the Council of Steaders.

Bold is mine.

SWM this is where I went off the tracks, you said Grayson and I took it as the whole ball of wax, not just the steadholders.
Context and adjectives make all the difference. lol :lol:
Post by SWM   » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:59 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Commodore Oakius wrote:
SWM wrote:I'm afraid you still don't understand the mindset. That comes from thinking of Grayson in terms of democracy. Grayson is not a democracy. It does not want to become a democracy. Even Benjamin does not intend it to become a democracy. Yes, he wants to give greater power to the Council of Steaders. But the Council of Steadholders is and will continue to be an aristocracy.

If rich Graysons, born or naturalized, want political power, they can join the Council of Steaders.

Bold is mine.

SWM this is where I went off the tracks, you said Grayson and I took it as the whole ball of wax, not just the steadholders.
Context and adjectives make all the difference. lol :lol:

Yeah, I did leave an opening there. I should have been more specific about the context. Sorry!
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:15 pm

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

SWM wrote:Yeah, I did leave an opening there. I should have been more specific about the context. Sorry!

Done and Done! :D
So, Cthia, there needs to be extraordinary situation for the creation of steadings. Can't be unilateral by the protector. Not somthing an average person can aspire to.
Post by saber964   » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:15 pm

saber964
Admiral

Suggestion to everyone on this topic, READ THE GRAYSON SECTON ON ITS GOVERNMENT IN HOUSE OF STEEL. There that being said Grayson is a feudal monarchy. The protector does not have absolute power but he still has quite a lot of it. Remember the protector is the only one who can personally raise military units.
Post by SWM   » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:21 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:Suggestion to everyone on this topic, READ THE GRAYSON SECTON ON ITS GOVERNMENT IN HOUSE OF STEEL. There that being said Grayson is a feudal monarchy. The protector does not have absolute power but he still has quite a lot of it. Remember the protector is the only one who can personally raise military units.

That has little to do with a discussion of the power of Steadholders, the creation of new Steadings, and the lack of "fairness" in the creation of new Steadholders.

[edit]My apologies. Rereading that, I see that the tone of my response is just a bit harsh, which is completely unfair. I should have added a question asking what the text had to say about the creation of new Steadings. I should check that myself.[/edit]
Last edited by SWM on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by cthia   » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:35 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Commodore Oakius wrote:
SWM wrote:
Yeah, I did leave an opening there. I should have been more specific about the context. Sorry!

Done and Done! :D
So, Cthia, there needs to be extraordinary situation for the creation of steadings. Can't be unilateral by the protector. Not somthing an average person can aspire to.

Okay ... thanks. I do understand it much better. I knew I could count on all y'all.

Now, if someone can just explain Masada's Constitutional Powers to me. :lol:

I know that it is a theocracy, like Iran, and run by a group of people. In Iran's case the example would be Ihavetoldya Khomeini. But who told him?

Last edited by cthia on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:49 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Now, if someone can just explain Masada's Constitutional Powers to me. :lol:

I don't believe Masada has a Constitution; They have a holy book to pick and choose from and a Chief Elder to do the picking and choosing.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by saber964   » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:54 pm

saber964
Admiral

If you reed the relevant text, by the time of the civil war Grayson had 56 steadings and IIRC prior to the establishment of Harrington the previous steading was created sometime around 1830 PD.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:24 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:Now, if someone can just explain Masada's Constitutional Powers to me. :lol:

I don't believe Masada has a Constitution; They have a holy book to pick and choose from and a Chief Elder to do the picking and choosing.

As I recall the telling of the story in thotq, Masada did have what might be described as a council of elders which seemed to meet with some regularity and operate on a basis that seemed outwardly consensual.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:32 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:As I recall the telling of the story in thotq, Masada did have what might be described as a council of elders which seemed to meet with some regularity and operate on a basis that seemed outwardly consensual.

Yeah, there is a council of elders, but it is still a church hierarchy more than any form of Constitutional organization.

The Short Story, Promised Land, in The Service Of The Sword gives a close-up of Masadan government.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse