Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 99 guests

Constitutional Powers of Grayson

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Constitutional Powers of Grayson
Post by drothgery   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:40 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
n7axw wrote:As I recall the telling of the story in thotq, Masada did have what might be described as a council of elders which seemed to meet with some regularity and operate on a basis that seemed outwardly consensual.

Yeah, there is a council of elders, but it is still a church hierarchy more than any form of Constitutional organization.

That's what they had. Manticore undoubtedly imposed something different.
Post by n7axw   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:43 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I'm sure Manticore did impose something different, although as I recall, there was an underground resistance movement at least early in the occupation.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by stewart   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:14 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

As others have noted --
creation of a Steading is not trivial.
In Honor's case it was her actions combined with conditions being ripe for expansion. Improved health, industry and longevity from prolong and re-discovery by the rest of the universe, external trade and the economic and social viability for a new steading to survive.

Harrington Steading was "created" at end of HotQ but it was 2+ years later -- after basic self-sufficiency was demonstrated -- that Honor received her Key and her seat at start of FoD.

I expect that other steading will be created but not soon.

-- Stewart

Return to Honorverse