Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 140 guests

Dream Teams: Grand Alliance Edition

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Dream Teams: Grand Alliance Edition
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:31 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

dreamrider wrote:
KNick wrote:... This posting will happen sooner rather than later, as the GSN has been grooming her for flag rank since graduation.

No well run military service (and this includes any protagonist side navy in any Weber universe) "grooms x for flag rank from graduation."

It is a persistent, pernicious myth.

This was not even true in the most purchase-driven, patronage rife days of the Royal Navy. (There is perhaps slightly more reason to accuse the British Army of the Iron Duke's era of some of this - Lord Cardigan got in there somehow.)

Grooming for high rank most certainly DOES occur, in almost every service. Indeed, it is generally viewed, or even codified as a DUTY of senior officers, for the sake of the future of their service.

But it does not occur before the younger officer in question has shown multiple aspects of ability. Otherwise it is a waste, or a crapshoot, or worst of all a net negative for the service, and senior officers KNOW THAT!

The earliest it is reasonable to begin seeing someone "groomed" is near the end of their first command, what ever level that occurs at in their particular service/environment. In my particular service, the US Army, perhaps about the time an officer reached O-4.

In looking at officers with LESS experience than that, the evaluation motivation leans more to correcting the fixable flaws of young officers, giving OPPORTUNITIES to show their mettle, and winnowing out those who just aren't cut out for the service.

Now I recognize that this is just one ex-officer's opinion, reinforced by the guidance of my seniors over the years on how THEY looked on their part in subordinates career development.

I would be very interested to see comment from other current and former military fans on how they perceive this mentoring and development process works.

dreamrider

Well, as the Talbott subseries makes clear, those officers who serve as flag lieutenants tend to be those officers whom the Admiralty in its infinite wisdom think demonstrate the potential for flag rank later in their careers. Given that we haven't really seen Gwen in action yet, I can't verify it in his case, but Helen Zilwicki, Jr's aptitude for both tactics and command has been amply demonstrated.

And we also have this quote from Naomi Kaplan in Storm From the Shadows when she offers Abigail the tac officer's slot on Tristram:
"I'm not Duchess Harrington!" Abigail protested. "I don't have anywhere near her record!"

"And she wasn't 'Duchess Harrington' at the time, either," Kaplan replied. "That's my point. She was given the opportunity to achieve what she achieved because of the ability she'd already demonstrated. I'm offering you this slot for the same reason. There's nothing wrong with pulling strings as long as the result is to put the right officer in the right billet at the right time, and if I didn't think that was what was happening here, I wouldn't have made the offer. You know that."

So in a sense, I would say that it's definitely canon in the RMN for exceptionally gifted officers - like Abigail or Helen, or even Honor in her early career - to be "groomed" for flag rank in that their superiors have already noted something extraordinary about their talents and intend to put the junior officers in question in places where they can demonstrate their competence.

And I would argue that selection for The Crusher is its own kind of grooming; I would bet that only those who have already demonstrated their aptitude would be asked to go through it. (Which makes me wonder about Andrea Jaruwalski - did she ever go through it, or will she be a staff officer forever?)

That said, while certain individuals - like Honor - will have caught the eye of their superiors even from their Academy days, RFC has also hammered home the point that native talent is only a small part of the equation, the much larger part being seasoning, time, and experience. The most tactically gifted officer in the universe wouldn't be able to go straight from the Academy to the captain's chair.

dreamrider wrote:
roseandheather wrote:...MOLLY DeLANEY AND ALLEN HIGGINS. ...

Y'know, I was scrolling up from the bottom of a thread page...

...and I got as far as the above line...

...and I KNEW who had to be the poster! :lol:

dreamrider

...oh, GET LOST. 8-)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by dreamrider   » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:03 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

rnh,

I would argue that in that scene, Naomi Kaplan (and the Admiralty) are hoping to aid the creation of a fine career officer, one who someday may be a suitable, or more than suitable, captain of a Protectorate vessel. They aren't grooming an admiral, not yet, not out of someone who has not yet even attended the ATC.

First you wash out the plain rocks, then you sort the gems. Most are very fine for many worthwhile industrial purposes, a few look very good in the rough. Then you look at those more closely, sorting out the ones with faults and inclusions. Only then do you start polishing the handful that remain.
Post by Hutch   » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:09 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

dreamrider wrote:rnh,

I would argue that in that scene, Naomi Kaplan (and the Admiralty) are hoping to aid the creation of a fine career officer, one who someday may be a suitable, or more than suitable, captain of a Protectorate vessel. They aren't grooming an admiral, not yet, not out of someone who has not yet even attended the ATC.

First you wash out the plain rocks, then you sort the gems. Most are very fine for many worthwhile industrial purposes, a few look very good in the rough. Then you look at those more closely, sorting out the ones with faults and inclusions. Only then do you start polishing the handful that remain.

Agreed, friend dreamrider. Courvousier (sp) recognized Honor's potential and did try to help her career (see Miss Midshipwoman Harrington), and Honor has tried to help other deserving folks (Andrea Jaruwalski), but making it to Admiral was dependent on their skills, knowledge and abilities.

If anyone could be considered to "groom" people for Admirals rank, it was the "old Aristocracy" folks, who gave us such leading lights as Janacek and Pavel Young...

IMHO as always. YMMV.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by saber964   » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:17 pm

saber964
Admiral

Hutch wrote:

Agreed, friend dreamrider. Courvousier (sp) recognized Honor's potential and did try to help her career (see Miss Midshipwoman Harrington), and Honor has tried to help other deserving folks (Andrea Jaruwalski), but making it to Admiral was dependent on their skills, knowledge and abilities.

If anyone could be considered to "groom" people for Admirals rank, it was the "old Aristocracy" folks, who gave us such leading lights as Janacek and Pavel Young...

IMHO as always. YMMV.

Yes and no, on Young. His father used his influence shamelessly but the Admiralty knew he was a worthless piece of shit and shunted him off to as dead end assignments and shit detail posts as possible.

I know one officer in the USN who was such a fuck up he was assigned to Joint Reserve Station Nome AK
Post by stewart   » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:22 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

stewart wrote:
BrigadeΔ wrote:Back to the original topic,

I would also be interested in seeing Paulo d'Arezzo sent to 10th Fleet as Junior/Assistant EWO under Horace Harkness.
(1) it would get Paulo within range of Helen
(2) Paulo would benefit from Harkness' experience and "out of the box" sneakiness
(3) I don't think Harkness would let Paulo go into self-isolation

-- Stewart
Post by stewart   » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:31 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

dreamrider wrote:,

I know one officer in the USN who was such a fuck up he was assigned to Joint Reserve Station Nome AK

Dreamrider --
We can swap Sea-Stories, but one XO on a ship I served on was known as "not a people person"; he went off to an apparently good series of positions in Intel, and then was assigned as Commandant at the naval academy.
He was dismissed from that position, made Navy Times.

-- Stewart
Post by stewart   » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:39 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

[quote="BrigadeΔ"]Back to the original topic,

Another pairing --

Jennifer Bellefeuille and Alice Truman; especially since they have met, or at least spoke over comm after Chantilly, and are both senior task force commanders.

-- Stewart
Post by stewart   » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:02 am

stewart
Captain of the List

Hutch wrote:

IMHO as always. YMMV.

In any Navy, there are those who advance (or are advanced) as a result of improper influence -- on the enlisted side, they were referred to as "brown-nosers".

However there is a good grooming and guidance in careers, both officer and enlisted, in presenting challenges and "stretching" a subordinates abilities and self-confidence.
Honor had that done to her by Captain Bachfisch and Admiral Courvosier early in her career and her response to the challenge propelled her further.
Abagail and Helen have been presented with similar "stretching" challenges. thus far (by RFC's design) they are responding to them.

-- Stewart
Post by dreamrider   » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:27 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

stewart wrote:
dreamrider wrote:,

Dreamrider --
We can swap Sea-Stories, but one XO on a ship I served on was known as "not a people person"; he went off to an apparently good series of positions in Intel, and then was assigned as Commandant at the naval academy.
He was dismissed from that position, made Navy Times.

-- Stewart

Sorry Stewart, someone messed up their copying of quote brackets, I think. I never wrote that line.

Actually, though I don't mind conversationally, I try to never use quite that degree of rough language in postings.

dreamrider
Post by vietnamabc   » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:43 am

vietnamabc
Ensign

Dafmeister wrote:I can see that day going down in Grayson history as 'The Purging Of The Keys'.

More like the second purging. If i remember there was one already that lead to the creating of Protector.

Return to Honorverse