Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: markusschaber, penny and 166 guests

Dream Teams: Grand Alliance Edition

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Dream Teams: Grand Alliance Edition
Post by stewart   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:57 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

I will surmise that Abby's career path will be
TO CA or TO CA/DD Squadron Staff (Senior LT / junior LCdr)
then (if there is a break in the SLN / MA campaign)
Crusher
TO BC (O-4 / LCdr)
XO CA or BC or CO DD (O-5 / CDR)
CO CA / BC (if Nike class)(O-6 / Capt)
CO CA Squadron (O-7 / Commo)
CO / XO SD Division (Commo / RAdm)

That would still be a fast track
-- Stewart

saber964 wrote:Abby Hearn's likely career track will probably be like this;

Current post
TO DD
next posts
ATO CL/CAx2
TO CA
ATO BC
TO BC
XO DD
XO CL/CA
XO BC
Possibly a DD command at this point
Post by killer   » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:12 pm

killer
Midshipman

stewart wrote:I will surmise that Abby's career path will be
then (if there is a break in the SLN / MA campaign)
Crusher
TO BC (O-4 / LCdr)
XO CA or BC or CO DD (O-5 / CDR)
CO CA / BC (if Nike class)(O-6 / Capt)
CO CA Squadron (O-7 / Commo)
CO / XO SD Division (Commo / RAdm)

That would still be a fast track
-- Stewart

saber964 wrote:Abby Hearn's likely career track will probably be like this;

Current post
TO DD
next posts
ATO CL/CAx2
TO CA
ATO BC
TO BC
XO DD
XO CL/CA
XO BC
Possibly a DD command at this point

plus too many to quote

How about Abby becoming a flag LT.
Isn't that a path to eventual flag rank?

james
Post by Dafmeister   » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:14 pm

Dafmeister
Commodore

It's not a requirement (see the case of one H. Harrington) but it's viewed as a sign that the Admiralty is thinking of a young officer as a potential flag candidate. The flag lieutenant position is both a stern test of an officer's abilities and a chance to see what sqaudron, task force or fleet command is actually like from a viewpoint that's the next best thing to being inside the admiral's head.
Post by stewart   » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:12 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Squadron Staff position could be either as Flag LT -- see GWEN Archer -- Flag LT after CA ATO tour, or as Flag TO / ATO.
Flag LT provides view of inter-relationship of all aspects of a command.
Flag Staff TO/ATO provides fleet / squadron overview from tactics / weapons perspective

Both work

-- Stewart
Post by lyonheart   » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:32 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Stewart,

Welcome to the forums, enjoy your favorite simulated beverage on the simulated forum if you haven't already.;)

Would anyone really be surprised if Oversteegen doesn't make her his Flag Lt. or staff ATO pretty soon?

The main hangup is no new ships needing experienced fresh young officers for a couple of years.

I think Yu or Yanakov would be excellent trainers for Abby in a flag staff position after this commission.

BTW, when Oversteegen says he always thought Helen had a pretty good head on here shoulders in SoF, the only textev encounter we have is back at Cathy's 'townhouse' in CoS in 1919, 3 years ago.

While good officers have excellent memories, and Helen would stand out to Michael for other reasons, if she demonstrated her tactical sense to him then, perhaps it was enough, yet most people need more than a single meeting to make up their mind about someone.

Still it was a very important line and vote of confidence given the flow of that critical discussion.

Given such an impressive flair for figuring out deep enemy strategies and tactics, what are the odds Helen winds up as one of the other admiral's in the discussion [3] assistant intel officer?

Or they at least offer her the spot, and Terekhov counsels her to take it?

Or to Michael's flagship Nike with Abby as Asst. ATO, where they have a lot of fun together?

Although I think RFC will ensure they're on different ships to keep the two separate viewpoints going.

Getting back to the dream teams, I quite like Diamato and Truman, 'Oliver and Alice' has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

But I strongly endorse #2; Mike and Jennifer teaming up, while Lester and Mike has gotten more attention on other threads, Bellefeuille and Henke could really become the SL's and RF's "worst nightmares" when HH-A isn't nearby.

I also strongly endorse #3; Mike and Lester would be truly awesome, if db's were sent to SL systems before they arrived with their records explaining their Haven sector reputations, some enemy CO's might faint or surrender even sooner! :D

How about some joint staff recommendations?

Unfortunately we don't have any Haven, Beowulf, etc junior officers as PoV characters yet.

But the past conflict story could work quite well on a joint staff level.

L

stewart wrote:TO CA or TO CA/DD Squadron Staff (Senior LT / junior LCdr)

Squadron Staff position could be either as Flag LT -- see GWEN Archer -- Flag LT after CA ATO tour, or as Flag TO / ATO.
Flag LT provides view of inter-relationship of all aspects of a command.
Flag Staff TO/ATO provides fleet / squadron overview from tactics / weapons perspective

Both work

-- Stewart
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:03 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Given such an impressive flair for figuring out deep enemy strategies and tactics, what are the odds Helen winds up as one of the other admiral's in the discussion [3] assistant intel officer?

:lol: I can just imagine Helen's reaction to being asked to become a staff "spook." :lol:
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by BrigadeΔ   » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:55 pm

BrigadeΔ
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Back to the original topic, how about Thomas Thiesman and Alfredo Yu back on the same side, that could be " interesting"
Post by Greentea   » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:04 pm

Greentea
Commander

You've got the chain of Yu, Theisman, and Caslet. Three very good officers who have all worked with each other and have greatly influenced each other's command style. That would be a fun division to set up. Theisman will likely feel very awkward as Yu's superior, but Yu would likely take it in stride and Caslet would be ok with it. It would be fun having staff meetings where Theisman is proposing tactics and when another officer questions the decision, Yu backs the logic because he drilled it into Theisman in the first place.

/Initially typed Cachat instead of Caslet. The implications are ... interesting

BrigadeΔ wrote:Back to the original topic, how about Thomas Thiesman and Alfredo Yu back on the same side, that could be " interesting"
Last edited by Greentea on Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Post by Hutch   » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:17 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Greentea wrote:You've got the chain of Yu, Theisman, and Cachat. Three very good officers who have all worked with each other and have greatly influenced each other's command style. That would be a fun division to set up. Theisman will likely feel very awkward as Yu's superior, but Yu would likely take it in stride and Cachat would be ok with it. It would be fun having staff meetings where Theisman is proposing tactics and when another officer questions the decision, Yu backs the logic because he drilled it into Theisman in the first place.

BrigadeΔ wrote:Back to the original topic, how about Thomas Thiesman and Alfredo Yu back on the same side, that could be " interesting"

Y'all meant Caslet, I think...Victor as an Admiral would be....interesting.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:33 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:Y'all meant Caslet, I think...Victor as an Admiral would be....interesting.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Scary, but interesting. :lol:
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse