Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 161 guests

Dream Teams: Grand Alliance Edition

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Dream Teams: Grand Alliance Edition
Post by Imaginos1892   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:56 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:When Abby finally takes a ship, I'd like it to be freshly minted off the press, with a name worthy of such an astronomical event ...

GNS Astronimo! ... no no ...
GNS Awesome! ... no no ...
GNS Stunning! ... no no no ...

I GOT IT! ... GNS Magnificent! :D

Wait, isn't that taken already? Dammit man! ...

By the time Abigail is ready for a ship that size, an Honor Harrington II or Honor Harrington III should be ready to come off the ways for a newly minted Captain of the list.

Actually, I suspect the next generation of Grayson SDs will be the Wesley Matthews class.
----------------
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:09 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Actually, I suspect the next generation of Grayson SDs will be the Wesley Matthews class.

That wouldn't surprise me at all, but I assume that "GNS Honor Harrington" is on their roll of honor and one of the first Wesley Matthews class would be a replacement for an aging GNS Honor Harrington.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:27 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:Actually, I suspect the next generation of Grayson SDs will be the Wesley Matthews class.

That wouldn't surprise me at all, but I assume that "GNS Honor Harrington" is on their roll of honor and one of the first Wesley Matthews class would be a replacement for an aging GNS Honor Harrington.

But I personally like Harold's idea of Abby in a Harrington. Even if it's an aging Harrington she won't let Abby down. She'll be as fearless as Fearless was fearless.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by drothgery   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:36 am

drothgery
Admiral

cthia wrote:But I personally like Harold's idea of Abby in a Harrington. Even if it's an aging Harrington she won't let Abby down. She'll be as fearless as Fearless was fearless.
Really, I think she'll get a squadron command (and accompanying flag rank) before she's a senior enough captain to rate a ship of the wall. And the Harringtons ought to be obsolete by the time she's senior enough to have one as her flagship.
Post by csantana183   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:14 am

csantana183
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Abby in a staff position I can see; but not in a staff attached to a non combat deployment so with Honor is unlikely as she more and more is a politician than a fleet commander.

Abby and Helen Zilwicki have become Mr. Weber's POV characters for battles so while she could and should at some point be moved to a staff position it would have to be in one of the staffs of Commodores/Admirals on independent squadrons so we can get that POV. I personally would like her at some point to go back to the GSN at some point both because the Graysons haven't appeared enough lately in the books and because we know that both the Havenite's and the Manticorian's respect them so maybe a Joint task force with a Grayson in command with both Manticorean's and RHN in it.

Also it be nice to see her interact with other GSN personnel in their ships vs Manticoran's or RHN as they are fine with women in Navy ships.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:17 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

drothgery wrote:Really, I think she'll get a squadron command (and accompanying flag rank) before she's a senior enough captain to rate a ship of the wall. And the Harringtons ought to be obsolete by the time she's senior enough to have one as her flagship.

You and Cythia both missed that I want to see Abigail in command of GNS Honor Harrington, not in command of a generic Harrington class SD(P). A ship name that has to be on the GNS Roll of Honor and will always be in commission.

If she gets flag rank before command of GNS Honor Harrington, I'll settle for her flying her flag from GNS Honor Harrington's flag deck.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
drothgery wrote:
Really, I think she'll get a squadron command (and accompanying flag rank) before she's a senior enough captain to rate a ship of the wall. And the Harringtons ought to be obsolete by the time she's senior enough to have one as her flagship.

You and Cythia both missed that I want to see Abigail in command of GNS Honor Harrington, not in command of a generic Harrington class SD(P). A ship name that has to be on the GNS Roll of Honor and will always be in commission.

If she gets flag rank before command of GNS Honor Harrington, I'll settle for her flying her flag from GNS Honor Harrington's flag deck.

I did miss that distinction Harold. My bad. But I didn't miss how cool it would be. It's another bit of literary excellence, with Abby riding Harrington! This is what I call coming full circle.

If it were to happen, it'd have to be a GSN ship wouldn't it? The Manties have been sweated to change the names ... the chickens that they are. :lol:
csantana183 wrote:Also it be nice to see her interact with other GSN personnel in their ships vs Manticoran's or RHN as they are fine with women in Navy ships.

Full circle. I second this for certain. I wonder if the Grayson officers will constantly suffer a bit of Shannonism by stumbling over the proper address for Abby. To many, she may still be Miss Hearns. Should be interesting. BUT, the truly interesting part will be when Abby struts her stuff. On that note, upon returning to Grayson, there must be some confrontation in which her stuff can be strutted.

More Solarian confrontation ahead? You know, there still could be another SLN fleet enroute to Endicott. They couldn't use the junctions and, dumb as tree bark that some are, could have gotten lost. :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Valen123456   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:24 pm

Valen123456
Lieutenant Commander

I think ill go and play devils advocate here and say the opposite. What I would like to see is a case where two officers, one Havenite and one Manticoran, have to work together for the GA, and yet hate each other, and are unwilling to let go of old hatreds.

It was said in A Rising Thunder that the intergration of the two fleets was "no picnic" but we didnt see any troubles in the story. This is particularly due to both sides top brass rather liking each other and hitting it off more or less perfectly from day one, but it cant have been that smooth all over.

Having a short story in some future anthology where two new characters from both sides try and work together and have to overcome their old grudges would make an great addition to the story I think.
Post by Amaroq   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:56 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

Valen123456 wrote:I think ill go and play devils advocate here and say the opposite. What I would like to see is a case where two officers, one Havenite and one Manticoran, have to work together for the GA, and yet hate each other, and are unwilling to let go of old hatreds.

It was said in A Rising Thunder that the intergration of the two fleets was "no picnic" but we didnt see any troubles in the story. This is particularly due to both sides top brass rather liking each other and hitting it off more or less perfectly from day one, but it cant have been that smooth all over.

Having a short story in some future anthology where two new characters from both sides try and work together and have to overcome their old grudges would make an great addition to the story I think.

That would be an interesting idea and probably more realistic given the history between Manticore and Haven. That type of story would be chock full of character development too which is always nice to read.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by stewart   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:43 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:

Actually, I suspect that the Wesley Matthews class will be a Grayson version of the Nike BC's. Grayson seems to keep SD's named after significant Protectors, BC's named after flag officers and CA's after hero Captains and Commanders.
While on that subject, I suspect we shall see a CA named Andrew LaFollet and BC's named Matthews and Howard Clinkscales

-- Stewart

Return to Honorverse