Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 149 guests

Dream Teams: Grand Alliance Edition

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Dream Teams: Grand Alliance Edition
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:09 am

roseandheather
Admiral

We've already seen what can happen when two crackerjack commanders from formerly opposing sides team up on the command deck. The result was Second Manticore.

But Harrington and Theisman is only the tip of the iceberg, so who else from the Manticoran Alliance and the Republic of Haven would you like to see in cahoots with each other? Military not required, as you'll see from my initial suggestions!

1. Lester Tourville and Michelle Henke. Because... well, because it's Lester Tourville and Michelle Henke.

2. Michelle Henke and Jennifer Bellefeuille. After these two went head-to-head at Chantilly - and gained a then-grudging respect for each other's abilities - I began to wonder what might happen if they were to meet again. Before the ink was even dry on the peace treaty - or on Mission of Honor, for that matter! - I began to speculate what the result might be if these two teamed up together, and came up with only one answer: PURE AWESOME.

3. Lester Tourville and Michael Oversteegen. Oh, the snark! Oh, the tactical genius! Oh, the sheer, madcap brilliance! OH, THE AWESOME!!!

4. Eloise Pritchart and Estelle Matsuko. Good Lord, can you imagine what might happen if we put these two in the same room??

5. Sonja Hemphill and Shannon Foraker. I mean, yes, we know it's happening, but we haven't seen it yet. And face it, we've all wanted to see this since Shannon was put in charge of Bolthole, if not even sooner.

And there's my initial suggestions! Feel free to expand, suggest, agree, disagree, and generally have a chat about the possibilities of the Grand Alliance!!
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Re: Dream Teams: Grand Alliance Edition
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:26 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'll definitely revisit this thread! But in the meantime in between time just let me throw my pet dream team out there.

Abigail Hearns and Honor Harrington on the same SD together. Can you imagine the sweet little defiant wannabe spacer, who once stared up at the heavens and saw it threaten to burst apart at the hands of hellbent religious fanatics attempting to conquer her world, miraculously realizing her dream which culminates with her serving aboard ship with the object of her hero worship? Well I surely can ... and it's awesomely, wonderfully thought provoking ... and ... sooooo-thing. (him purs like Eartha Kitt).

And I don't give a whole-rats-ass about the possibility that that may be an inefficient allocation of resources - simply because Abigail is ready for her own ship.

But I want it to happen anyway!

Moreover, my idea of a dream team extends outside a particular ship, to include other supporting ships off of Honor's starboard and port bows, cocked & locked full of equally enemy-toxic dream teams.

I'll get back to y'all ... busy weekend.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Phalanx   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Phalanx
Commander

roseandheather wrote:5. Sonja Hemphill and Shannon Foraker. I mean, yes, we know it's happening, but we haven't seen it yet. And face it, we've all wanted to see this since Shannon was put in charge of Bolthole, if not even sooner.

Aren't we getting that next book?

roseandheather wrote:
3. Lester Tourville and Michael Oversteegen. Oh, the snark! Oh, the tactical genius! Oh, the sheer, madcap brilliance! OH, THE AWESOME!!!

YES! YES!YES!
_

Post by Festival   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:21 pm

Festival
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

cthia wrote:Abigail Hearns and Honor Harrington on the same SD together. Can you imagine the sweet little defiant wannabe spacer, who once stared up at the heavens and saw it threaten to burst apart at the hands of hellbent religious fanatics attempting to conquer her world, miraculously realizing her dream which culminates with her serving aboard ship with the object of her hero worship?

Heck, I could even see a little bit of that hero worship (of a sort) going back in the other direction. I can just picture Honor telling anyone who will listen "Yep...I spotted that one clear back on Saganami Island. Why, I just knew..."

With Nimitz rolling his eyes and signing, "Not this story again..."
Post by Dafmeister   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:52 pm

Dafmeister
Commodore

Well, Abby Hearns has already been marked as one to watch, so she's going to get pointed at a staff posting sooner or later, quite possibly as soon as she completes her tour as Tristram's Tac Officer and gets her bump to Lieutenant Commander. It's also only a matter of time before someone is rotated out of Honor's staff. 2+2=...
Post by Amaroq   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:49 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

I'll throw out Oliver Diamato and Alice Truman. Considering their Hancock history I think there is some interesting potential there.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by Hutch   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:57 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Amaroq wrote:I'll throw out Oliver Diamato and Alice Truman. Considering their Hancock history I think there is some interesting potential there.

I'll add a vote to that. Alice has been around since nearly the beginning, and the MWW has kept Oliver in front of us, so they would be an intriguing match-up.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:09 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Dafmeister wrote:Well, Abby Hearns has already been marked as one to watch, so she's going to get pointed at a staff posting sooner or later, quite possibly as soon as she completes her tour as Tristram's Tac Officer and gets her bump to Lieutenant Commander. It's also only a matter of time before someone is rotated out of Honor's staff. 2+2=...

I should remind you, though, that it's exceedingly unlikely that Abi will be assigned to Honor's staff, for the simple reason that Honor would want to avoid any potential appearance of favoritism this early in Abi's career. I could absolutely see Rear Admiral Hearns winding up as a task force commander under Honor - or Commodore Hearns as a squadron commander, for that matter - but it's just too early.

I would also remind you that Abi's chomping at the bit to get back to the GSN. Where, I will remind you, one Rear Admiral Judah Yanakov has been making quite a name for himself..... do I see the next Harrington and Sarnow? :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by saber964   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:20 pm

saber964
Admiral

Abby Hearn's likely career track will probably be like this;

Current post
TO DD
next posts
ATO CL/CAx2
TO CA
ATO BC
TO BC
XO DD
XO CL/CA
XO BC
Possibly a DD command at this point
Post by drothgery   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:57 pm

drothgery
Admiral

saber964 wrote:Abby Hearn's likely career track will probably be like this;

Current post
TO DD
next posts
ATO CL/CAx2
TO CA
ATO BC
TO BC
XO DD
XO CL/CA
XO BC
Possibly a DD command at this point

She'll probably get a staff job at some point. Just because Honor managed to avoid one (mostly due to having the wrong enemies to be officially on the fast track to flag rank in the early books, and then way too senior to be on someone else's staff anywhere but the hyper rank-inflated SLN in the later books) doesn't mean that they're generally seen as Good Things for people you're fast-tracking to flag rank.

Return to Honorverse