Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 65 guests

Honorcon 2014-Who's Going and Meeting Up

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorcon 2014-Who's Going and Meeting Up
Post by wastedfly   » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:23 am

wastedfly
Commodore

Hutch wrote:allow plenty of time for socializing/renew acquaitances/arguing over uses for Sollie SD's.... :twisted:

Was planning on coming. Can't. Family. :evil:

PS. I said it first :roll: : With 8000SD's in mothballs, at roughly 1.5km/mothball, weld each nose to ass and create a ring around Earth. Could easily make a ring around Mars.
:o
Post by GerryBM   » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:50 am

GerryBM
Website God

Well the good news for people who cannot make it is that we are planning as of right now to stream the Opening Ceremonies, Closing Ceremonies, TRMN Awards Ceremony, and the TRMN meeting on Sunday. We have other things planned that we are fleshing out as well so stay tuned to this bat channel for them. :D
Post by Henry Brown   » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:57 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

I see that it is in Raleigh NC. I live in Greenville NC. So even if I have to work Friday, I can drive up early on Saturday (about a 90 min trip by car). I have never been to a Con before, so I am not sure of the protocol. Do I have to reserve events in advance? Or can I just drive up that day and enter whatever event strikes my fancy?
Post by dreamrider   » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:23 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

I'll be at Honorcon, guys, driving in Thursday, with a Thursday night booked at the hotel.

I'll try to make the lunch.

So...
dreamrider.

I did offer my warm quivering presence to my friend within Bu9 last year, with raincheck to be cashed this year as needed, so if they actually want me to assist with anything Friday AM, I could get sidetracked. On the other hand, RMN is actually the con runners this year, so the Bu9 chore list should be a mere fraction of last year.

Hutch, I haven't planned my drive yet, but it's possible I could pick you up at the airport. Details?

What are we calling this caffe-klatch? Barflies Reunion? The SD Recycling Commission? TWSTSNBN Forever, Intl?
Post by dreamrider   » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:54 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:I see that it is in Raleigh NC. I live in Greenville NC. So even if I have to work Friday, I can drive up early on Saturday (about a 90 min trip by car). I have never been to a Con before, so I am not sure of the protocol. Do I have to reserve events in advance? Or can I just drive up that day and enter whatever event strikes my fancy?

Henry,
Although the Raleigh con will probably be bigger than last year, Honorcon, being a single author focused con is actually quite a small con. I'm not sure what the planners are expecting, but the hotel has 240 rooms blocked, so figure ~500 in the hotel for the weekend, plus 50-100 walk-ins like you.

What this means re your question is that you are probably fine just walking in, registering, orienting on a hotel map, and walking to/getting a nominal reservation for any forums & events that catch your fancy on-the-spot.

At a larger, long history, pan-genre SF Con, up in the 4000+ expected attendee range, you would generally want at least advanced registration for the con itself, for badge/credentials; and probably advanced registration if available for your top 3-4-5 "hot ticket" panels/forums. Especially things like, "Lunch with <author's name here>, seating 100", etc.

I still encourage you to go to the Honorcon website,
www.honorcon.org
and pre-register.

You might even still get a break on the con membership, and maybe some membership goodies that won't be available on-the-spot.

Also you can scan the website and get an idea of the kind of things that will go on. Hint: plan on attending a couple of "David's on the panel" events. He knows how to work a room...and he drops hints! Also, the Bu9 presentations are very good in terms of "How the Honorverse really works...and why your super LAC will not!" sorts of briefings.

Finally, if you find late one night that it has become 3 AM somehow and you don't really want to drive home, I am PM'ing you my cell number. At the moment (subject to change) I have a single, and therefore crash space.

dreamrider
Post by dreamrider   » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:01 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Duckk wrote:I'm not going to be able to make it.

Nooo! Duckk! Say it ain't so.

dreamrider
Post by Frankjg   » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:31 pm

Frankjg
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Went there Last Year. It was an enjoyable experience. But unfortunately this year I am unable to attend due to other commitments.

Can not wait to see what is posted about the events and info that will come out.
Post by Hutch   » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:49 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

OK, last call for any last-second attendees.

Also, for those that are not going, do you have any questions in particular you want to have asked? Please note, visit the Honorcon site and look at the panels, so that questions deal with the topics that will be discused (Of course, we have been known to wander off-topic....)

No promises, as we attendees will have our own questions to be answered (mine is for Mr. Zahn and is: Will we ever find out who Charles really is?). But we can listen for them and who knows....

As for kzt, dreamrider and Johnathan S., I'll be near the front door of the Hotel Friday about 1115-1120. I'm about Honor's height, Khumalo's weight, and Aivars' beard, albeit it is white now rather than black. I should be wearing three buttons with Honorverse quotes (I originally had 5, but two went missing--I'll find them the next time I move--in about 20 years).

For those coming later, (justdave/henry) I'll have the buttons on all weekend, so feel free to say hi.

Note above that it apparently will be streamed and if the hotel has a Business center or computer area without cost, I (and probably others) will try to post some.

Starting to get pumped about this....
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Can't believe we're down to 1 day away!
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:21 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

As it'll be another four years before I can make HonorCon (but if you think anything up to and including the Apocalypse will keep me away from 2018 and the 25th anniversary, you're dreaming), I will be eagerly awaiting reports/new info/etc - have fun, guys!
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."

Return to Honorverse