Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 127 guests

Grayson Sky Domes

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Grayson Sky Domes
Post by Quinlan73   » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:29 pm

Quinlan73
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Just how big do you think these domes are? My take is that they must be nearly a kilometer high at the top and maybe 20-30 kilometers across.
Re: Grayson Sky Domes
Post by vovchara   » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:20 pm

vovchara
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

20-30 km across? isn't it a bit too big? A city like Tashkent (e.q.) has a population around 2 mio and takes an area under 400 square kilometer.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:30 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

vovchara wrote:20-30 km across? isn't it a bit too big? A city like Tashkent (e.q.) has a population around 2 mio and takes an area under 400 square kilometer.

400Km^2 is a 20Km x 20Km square. 20-30Km across would be about right. In doming Harrington City, there was presumably a lot of extra space left for expansion. The Dome would have been as big and impressive as they could design because it was also a "Model Home" example of what Skydomes could do.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by vovchara   » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:16 am

vovchara
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I don't remember Harrington steding having population around 2 mio ;)

Weird Harold wrote:
vovchara wrote:20-30 km across? isn't it a bit too big? A city like Tashkent (e.q.) has a population around 2 mio and takes an area under 400 square kilometer.

400Km^2 is a 20Km x 20Km square. 20-30Km across would be about right. In doming Harrington City, there was presumably a lot of extra space left for expansion. The Dome would have been as big and impressive as they could design because it was also a "Model Home" example of what Skydomes could do.
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:26 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

vovchara wrote:I don't remember Harrington steding having population around 2 mio ;)

Weird Harold wrote:there was presumably a lot of extra space left for expansion.

What part of "a lot of extra space for expansion" do you have trouble with?

Post by SWM   » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:59 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:What part of "a lot of extra space for expansion" do you have trouble with?

It seems to me unlikely that Harrington Steading or any other dome was intended to have a population inside that single dome of 2 million. I don't believe the domes are 20 km across, but somewhat smaller. Do you have any evidence to support your idea, other than your belief that they left a "lot of extra space for expansion"?
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:25 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:It seems to me unlikely that Harrington Steading or any other dome was intended to have a population inside that single dome of 2 million. I don't believe the domes are 20 km across, but somewhat smaller. Do you have any evidence to support your idea, other than your belief that they left a "lot of extra space for expansion"?

What's the population of Austin City? How much area does it cover?

The Dome over Harrington City was built as a demonstration that Skydomes could build a dome over an entire city and it's farmland -- A city that was expected to grow to match any other Steading capitol.

I have no idea exactly how big Harrington City's dome is, nor how big the dome they're building over Austin City is. I do know that a square dome 20 Kms on a side would be required for a city the size (400Km^2) Tashkent was reported to be.

Post by Borealis   » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:34 pm

Borealis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Also, I don't recall the text mentioning that it was a single unsupported dome. Could it be multiple inter-connected domes? That would make much more sense for expansion purposes...

Additionally, it is not mentioned whether the base of the domes is circular. A rectangular base transitioning to a dome would be preferred for city planning purposes I would think.
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Borealis wrote:Also, I don't recall the text mentioning that it was a single unsupported dome. Could it be multiple inter-connected domes? That would make much more sense for expansion purposes...

Austin City's will be a single dome:

Mission of Honor
Chapter Three wrote:
The larger dome which Skydomes of Grayson was currently erecting to protect the entire city of Austen was still only in its embryonic stages, with its preliminary girder work looming against the darkly clouded sky like white, furry tree trunks or—for those of a less cheerful disposition—the strands of some vast, frosted spiderweb.

Note the singular, "dome" as opposed to the multiple domes already in place.

Also Harrington City is covered by a single dome:

Flag In Exile
Chapter Five wrote:
Or it had been, she reminded herself, glancing up at the towering crystoplast dome that covered the entire city and several thousand hectares of as yet empty ground. People on Grayson lived more like the denizens of an orbital habitat than a normal planetary population, and their homes were sealed enclaves of filtered air and distilled water, but Harrington City was different. For the first time, Grayson architects had been able to design a city as a living, breathing unity—one whose people could walk its streets without emergency breath masks—and the same technology would soon be extended to the agricultural sector, as well.

NB: Chapter five has a much more extensive discussion of City Domes and domes in general surrounding the quoted textev. It does NOT give dimensions of Harrington City or its dome.

Post by saber964   » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:20 pm

saber964
Admiral

IIRC Gerrick's demonstration farming dome was 7 hectares. That is roughly the equivalent of 14 american football fields side by side or the equivalent of 7 Rugby fields.

Return to Honorverse