Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 118 guests

Grayson Sky Domes

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Grayson Sky Domes
Post by stewart   » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:39 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Rajani Isa wrote:I was referring to the presumption of having internal supports beyond the framework established by the outer pylons.

The description of the arch supports is that as cereamacrete, and fused to the planetary bedrock (as they were SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN, would make those arches extensions of the bedrock and without need of further support.

Note the similar descriptions in COG where the structural ceremacrete walls of buildings are, essentially impossible to take down short of a major orbital strike.

Once the ceremacrete frame, or ribs if you will, is in place, the weather shell can be attached.

Size will be dependent on distance between and number of rib-pilings. Multiple domes can be linked for larger cities and areas.

-- Stewart
Post by Peregrinator   » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

Forgive my interjection -- 6,000 Hectares is 60 square km. I don't recall whether the number of pylons is mentioned but I had assumed that the base of the dome was circular (it could be square, I just had not considered it -- although my guess is that, all things being equal, a round dome will be stronger than a square), which would give it a radius of ~4.37 km or 2.72 miles. My guess is that the diameter of the circle covered by the dome is somewhere between 8 and 10 km, anything more or anything less and you're not really talking about "several" thousand Hectares.
Last edited by Peregrinator on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:40 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:My guess is that the diameter of the circle covered by the dome is somewhere between 4 km and 5 km, anything more or anything less and you're not really talking about "several" thousand Hectares.

I assume you're talking about Harrington City's dome?

The description is:

the towering crystoplast dome that covered the entire city and several thousand hectares of as yet empty ground.

There's no further description other than how low and spread out the city is even though it isn't much more than a small town.

Your estimate covers the "several thousand hectares" but doesn't cover the city at the center.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Peregrinator   » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:22 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

Your estimate covers the "several thousand hectares" but doesn't cover the city at the center.

True - thank you for pointing out my mistake. But even if the dome covers twice the actual area of Harrington City, that only increases the diameter by sqrt(2). So let's say a diameter of 14 km or 8.5 miles at most (assuming an area of 16,000 hectares).
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:38 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:

True - thank you for pointing out my mistake. But even if the dome covers twice the actual area of Harrington City, that only increases the diameter by sqrt(2). So let's say a diameter of 14 km or 8.5 miles at most (assuming an area of 16,000 hectares).

Now, you just need a WAG for Austin City's dome. It's got to be a couple of orders of magnitude bigger.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Peregrinator   » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:58 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

Well let's say Austin City has a population of 2 million and the same sort of architecture prevails there as in Harrington City (e.g., 30+ stories is giant). We could use Philadelphia, PA as our model (similar population -- a generation ago anyway -- and similar restrictions on the height of buildings, in law however and not due to engineering constraints), which has an area of 369.3 square kilometers. Of course that's spread out a bit because of expanding along rivers, but maybe we could say a dome covering an area of 400 square km would suffice? That would give a radius of ~11.3 km and a diameter of 22.6 km or 14 miles.

The height of the domes is a different question. I don't know if they're described as hemispherical or something else. I don't know if they're designed to maximize volume (if they are, then they would be hemispherical). The height of a hemispherical dome would be the same as its radius. That might be too high. We could probably imagine a dome as being hemispherical with a good part of the hemisphere being underground ... I suspect much more than 1 km high if the dome covers an entire city, especially if Grayson Sky Domes is leaving room for taller towers than are currently the norm on Grayson (which would make sense ... leave room for expansion in all directions). The Burj Khalifa is currently the tallest building on earth and its top floor (163) is 584.5 m from the ground. I suspect a typical Manticoran tower is at least twice that height.
Post by kzt   » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:18 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I think you would want to use something other then a hemisphere. I doubt you really want a 10 km wide dome to be 5km high at the center, this has pretty obvious issues. I suspect you end up with what one dome company calls a "Low Profile Spherical Segment", which covers a lot of space but minimizes the height and surface area needed to provide that height.

http://www.monolithic.org/stories/shape ... ile/photos
Post by Peregrinator   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:04 am

Peregrinator
Commander

If the dome is 10 km wide, and 1/2 of the support arches are underground, then the dome would be a spherical "cap" of a hemisphere with a radius of ~7km and the height of the dome would be ~3km. That would strike me as being a particularly sturdy structure.

You could lower the profile even more but then the area around the border of the dome might be unusable.

Of course maybe the domes are ellipsoidal and not spherical. But they are described as "towering"!

So all a WAG.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:36 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:If the dome is 10 km wide, and 1/2 of the support arches are underground, then the dome would be a spherical "cap" of a hemisphere with a radius of ~7km and the height of the dome would be ~3km. That would strike me as being a particularly sturdy structure.

You could lower the profile even more but then the area around the border of the dome might be unusable.

Of course maybe the domes are ellipsoidal and not spherical. But they are described as "towering"!

So all a WAG.
I'm confused. Isn't that just a ludicrously inefficient way to build a ~7km radius version of the "Low Profile Spherical Segment" kzt mentioned?

Why on earth would you bother building the other 3 km radius worth of underground portion? It takes a vast amount of construction, requires to you go way deeper than the probably bedrock level, and doesn't buy you anything that I can see.

Return to Honorverse