Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 55 guests

Grayson Sky Domes

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Grayson Sky Domes
Post by saber964   » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:53 pm

saber964
Admiral

The steadings wont have an equal distribution of citizens. The oldest steadings will have the highest populations. Mayhew might have a population of 150-200 million, Owens might have population of 80-100 million while Harrington might have a population of 10-15 million
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:46 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:The steadings wont have an equal distribution of citizens. The oldest steadings will have the highest populations. Mayhew might have a population of 150-200 million, Owens might have population of 80-100 million while Harrington might have a population of 10-15 million

Very true. It makes estimations of City Dome sizes near impossible -- except Austin City is probably bigger than any estimate so far. :P
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by SWM   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:19 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Not necessarily. As noted before, we only know the average populations of entire steadings. We don't know the populations of individual cities. The population could be scattered into a lot more smaller cities and towns than people are supposing.

Weird Harold, if Harrington Dome has the same population as a modern tower, then it only has a population of ten thousand or so, not millions.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:53 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:Weird Harold, if Harrington Dome has the same population as a modern tower, then it only has a population of ten thousand or so, not millions.

Honor does characterize Harrington City as "not much more than a large town. The dome however covers "several thousand hectares" of room for expansion.

But then the low population of Harrington City/Steading is the reason I've been emphasizing Austin City and its dome as the main example.

Post by SWM   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:59 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
SWM wrote:Weird Harold, if Harrington Dome has the same population as a modern tower, then it only has a population of ten thousand or so, not millions.

Honor does characterize Harrington City as "not much more than a large town. The dome however covers "several thousand hectares" of room for expansion.

But then the low population of Harrington City/Steading is the reason I've been emphasizing Austin City and its dome as the main example.

Yes. But my first paragraph was basically to point out that Austin City, and all the other cities, might have lower populations than you think.
Post by Michael Everett   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:12 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

A dome that big would probably need some internal supports in addition to the framework.
What better way to build those supports than to integrate them into Towers, thus providing even more usable space.
In fact, you could even have the towers going "through" the Dome in order to provide platforms for telecommunication dishes, weather stations etc. It would also provide avenues of access for ease of maintenance.

Of course, said Towers would probably be akin to the inner core of a Citizen's Tower on Mesa, being six ceramacrete tubes clustered around a central tube...

Just a thought...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:28 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:A dome that big would probably need some internal supports in addition to the framework.
What better way to build those supports than to integrate them into Towers, thus providing even more usable space.

The whole point of Grayson Sky Domes is that with Manticoran materials and technology, domes "that big" can be built without internal supports.

Post by Rajani Isa   » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:39 am

Rajani Isa
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Michael Everett wrote:A dome that big would probably need some internal supports in addition to the framework.

The description of the Muller Dome and it's collapse would argue against that. That, like a load-bearing arch, the pieces are meant to essentially be falling against each other to hold themselves up.

The dome would not have collapsed as quickly as it did if it had interior supports and all indications in the book had the school dome being simply a scaled down version of the city domes.
Post by SWM   » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:00 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Rajani Isa wrote:

The description of the Muller Dome and it's collapse would argue against that. That, like a load-bearing arch, the pieces are meant to essentially be falling against each other to hold themselves up.

The dome would not have collapsed as quickly as it did if it had interior supports and all indications in the book had the school dome being simply a scaled down version of the city domes.

All domes are like that--they are self-supporting only after the entire dome is finished. But once they are finished, they can be extremely strong. Did you really think that half an arch would be self-supporting if you took the other half away?
Post by Rajani Isa   » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:04 am

Rajani Isa
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I was referring to the presumption of having internal supports beyond the framework established by the outer pylons.

Return to Honorverse