Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 92 guests

Reparations

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Reparations
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:53 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote:
Hutch wrote:I'm not quite as confident as you are about that, friend Zakharra. I keep thinking about all the loyal citizens of the Ottoman Empire, of Austria-Hungary, of the Soviet Union, who saluted the flag and sang the anthem--until they discovered they didn't have to anymore. Loyalty went out the window pretty quick, then, didn't it?

Beowulf is one of the oldest members of the SL, but according to ART, over 70% are ready to leave it, and we know from textev of several other planets that are seriously considering the same thing.

In my opinion (and I could be wrong and you are right), 'loyalty' and 'allegiance' to the SL is something that most people never think about--it's just the way things are, the way they have always been, and wasting time really thinking about it is not something people do.

Until now. And I think when people begin to think-hard-about it, SL citizenship will peel off faster than a bad sunburn.

We shall see...eventually.

I can't disagree with many of your points. It really is very iffy on what will happen, but (you knew that was coming, didn't you? ;D)I think the idea of the SL will be stronger than many would believe. Remember some have been members for 500-700 years. That's a looong time to be accepting an idea and I refuse to believe that all or most of the SL member states, the Core worlds certainly, would be so willing to just cast off the bonds of the SL (or the idea of it) just like that *snaps fingers* For many Core worlds, it has been a very good thing to be a part of the SL. They are used to thinking of being as a part of a group, of a larger whole and there is strength in numbers. Remember how shocked the assembly of delegates were when Beowulf said it would vote of seceding. Until then it was unheard of for anyone to think of wanting to leave the SL. The idea was abhorrent. Now though it will take on a life of its own when Beowulf survives the oncoming onslaught.
To nitpick just because a world's delegates to the League Assembly were shocked by Beowulf leaving doesn't mean their home governments, much less the man in the street, are as shocked, or care much.

I suspect most country's delegates to the UN would be pretty shocked if someone withdrew. But I'm not sure how much the US Government would care (unless it was a major power on the security council) and I'm quite confident most US citizen couldn't care less.

Now that's not an exact analog becuase the UN isn't a government that the member states are part of (or subservient to). OTOH in terms of how much direct impact is has on the man in the street's life the League is much closer to the impact of the UN than even the EU, much less the US Federal Government. By design it has almost no ability to impact the internal running of any member world; so while people may have a general warm fuzzy from being part of the biggest entity in history I'm not sure how attached they really are. (Especially as it starts to seem the League is no longer capable of doing what it was designed to do; maintain peace and order in and around League space)
Post by Roguevictory   » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:12 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:

I can't disagree with many of your points. It really is very iffy on what will happen, but (you knew that was coming, didn't you? ;D)I think the idea of the SL will be stronger than many would believe. Remember some have been members for 500-700 years. That's a looong time to be accepting an idea and I refuse to believe that all or most of the SL member states, the Core worlds certainly, would be so willing to just cast off the bonds of the SL (or the idea of it) just like that *snaps fingers* For many Core worlds, it has been a very good thing to be a part of the SL. They are used to thinking of being as a part of a group, of a larger whole and there is strength in numbers. Remember how shocked the assembly of delegates were when Beowulf said it would vote of seceding. Until then it was unheard of for anyone to think of wanting to leave the SL. The idea was abhorrent. Now though it will take on a life of its own when Beowulf survives the oncoming onslaught.
To nitpick just because a world's delegates to the League Assembly were shocked by Beowulf leaving doesn't mean their home governments, much less the man in the street, are as shocked, or care much.

I suspect most country's delegates to the UN would be pretty shocked if someone withdrew. But I'm not sure how much the US Government would care (unless it was a major power on the security council) and I'm quite confident most US citizen couldn't care less.

Now that's not an exact analog becuase the UN isn't a government that the member states are part of (or subservient to). OTOH in terms of how much direct impact is has on the man in the street's life the League is much closer to the impact of the UN than even the EU, much less the US Federal Government. By design it has almost no ability to impact the internal running of any member world; so while people may have a general warm fuzzy from being part of the biggest entity in history I'm not sure how attached they really are. (Especially as it starts to seem the League is no longer capable of doing what it was designed to do; maintain peace and order in and around League space)[/quote]

I feel that the citizens on the street are probably more of a "Good riddance." or "Why should we care attitude unless Beowulf and the league start fighting and even then many probably still won't care."
Post by Zakharra   » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:50 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

lyonheart wrote:Hi Zakharra,

I'm curious, what 3 core worlds do you know of that can threaten Manticore or the GA, or any 3 of their core system neighbors?

The 'Honor doctrine' didn't identify any by name and suggested that even blocks of 50-60 systems weren't going to be much of a threat to the SEM when their neighbors were a more immediate and logical concern.

Given the ignorance in the SL, especially in Old Chicago by their nominal leaders, the SL members are still ignorant of how deeply they are outclassed, as in so many deliberately refusing to face facts, and they still don't know just how great the gap is, because Honor didn't tell them everything when she explained the 'facts' to Filaretta.

Then there's the fact that the GA won't be hitting that much of the SL in the first place; primarily just the SLN bases, and particularly the BF reserve, which is in only 6-7 systems including Sol, so why do you think the GA has to be so careful about 'appearing to be a bully' when most [~90+%?] of the SL members aren't going to see the GA in their system or have any real animus toward the GA because the GA will never visit or harm them; those with SLN bases may see the local SLN given the option of surrendering, joining the GA or an approved local defensive coalition or neutral combine or cooperative or being destroyed; since they were little affected by the SL in the first place according to textev and RFC's posts, if they weren't in the shells being hurt by deliberate SL policies?

For years here and at the bar, the pros and cons of taking out the BF reserve have been debated; given the SL's expected short lifespan remaining, taking it out after its gratuitous attack on Beowulf seems rather indicated, with the blessing of all those thinking of leaving the sinking ship, while most of the shell systems have been held back by the fear of the reserve; so watching the BF SD's etc get trashed or simply dropped into the local sun may celebrated system wide throughout the ex-SL; the core, the shells, and the ex-protectorates; possibly becoming a very huge multi-system annual holiday jointly celebrated with the GA.8-) :lol:

For those who suffered under the OFS before becoming full fledged members of the SL (I still have questions as to how and why the OFS and transtellar let go without still controlling the systems behind the facade-who would make them) watching the GA strike them down will be a treat before they sign up.

Given the several years minimum it takes to build the ships and the decades to create a navy, even those few systems with a grudge will have a long hard time trying to convince their many neighbors who don't, that building a navy to avenge the SL is worth the trouble when the advantages of the 'Honor Doctrine' are obvious and far more immediately beneficial.

We have had textev that there are Jewish and Japanese 'leagues' or coalitions in the SL among others, with the implication that multi-system polities are quite possible in the SL, and could easily survive its dissolution.

While RFC plotted all of this out long ago, the next book will still be a treat!

L

I was using the number example someone else gave. Personally I think it would take 8-12 Core worlds at, least to equal, the GDP of Manticore. Manticore's GDP is damned big because its based on the revenue that it's trade fleets bring in. That gives it a much much bigger revenue stream than any other system or very small groups of systems can complete with. I think a block of Core worlds and Shell systems that are a part of them could easily be a threat given time. That's more than enough to have a vigorous economy (I bet that many of the successor states will be pushing for their own merchant hulls rather than relying on Manticore hulls. Manticore ones being cheaper or not, I can't see -any- of them wanting to give Manticore the power to cripple their economies like they did the SL again), naval bases and an active R&D. I haven't gotten the latest book yet, but given what I've seen posted here, Honor and Manticore (the rest of the Ga seems irrelevant for some reason) don't want to allow -any- SL successor state to exist that could threaten them. I expect that plan to run into reality and be derailed somewhat (not counting the wrenches the MAlign throws in) and the GA have to accept some moderate to possibly large SL successor states existing. As long as they are neutral or friendly. As someone said before, any such states are going to be far more concerned with the systems/states around them than the SEM/GA. Unless the SEM makes them focus on the SEM.

It won't take long before it's clear exactly how outclassed the SLN is. Not even the Mandarins will be able to cover that up. The scenario I offered of Manticore appearing to be the bully is if the remaining part of the SL sues for peace, ceases all military actions and admits culpability/responsibility for its actions. In that case, I believe the SEM and the GA would be seen as the aggressive bully since by then it would be clear that the SLN cannot possibly hope to stop the SEM/GA Juggernaut.

That being said, it's kind of disturbing that people think the SL would collapse and there would be little to no loyalty to the SL, or the idea of the SL, but rather a; 'Every system for itself!' reaction.
Re: Honorverse series, the future..?
Post by kzt   » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:58 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

It's been stated that while Manticore (the entire SKM with just medusa) has the highest per capita GSP it does not have the highest total GSP.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:22 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote:I was using the number example someone else gave. Personally I think it would take 8-12 Core worlds at, least to equal, the GDP of Manticore. Manticore's GDP is damned big because its based on the revenue that it's trade fleets bring in.

The three aggressive Core Worlds example was mine. It was based on tech level and manufacturing capability rather than economy.

Zakharra wrote:I haven't gotten the latest book yet, but given what I've seen posted here, Honor and Manticore (the rest of the Ga seems irrelevant for some reason) don't want to allow -any- SL successor state to exist that could threaten them. I expect that plan to run into reality and be derailed somewhat (not counting the wrenches the MAlign throws in) and the GA have to accept some moderate to possibly large SL successor states existing. As long as they are neutral or friendly. As someone said before, any such states are going to be far more concerned with the systems/states around them than the SEM/GA.

You're forgetting that a major component of the Harrington Doctrine is "mutual defense treaties" with the SEM/GA. The more mutual defense treaties that can be signed, the larger potential threats can be dismissed as "too small to threaten us."

The Harrington Doctrine was stated as Manticoran strategy before the Grand Alliance was formed, but the assumption that, as the focus of SL aggression, Manticore would have a large input to GA strategy and the Harrington Doctrine would become GA Strategy as well.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Zakharra   » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:32 am

Zakharra
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
Zakharra wrote:I was using the number example someone else gave. Personally I think it would take 8-12 Core worlds at, least to equal, the GDP of Manticore. Manticore's GDP is damned big because its based on the revenue that it's trade fleets bring in.

The three aggressive Core Worlds example was mine. It was based on tech level and manufacturing capability rather than economy.

Zakharra wrote:I haven't gotten the latest book yet, but given what I've seen posted here, Honor and Manticore (the rest of the Ga seems irrelevant for some reason) don't want to allow -any- SL successor state to exist that could threaten them. I expect that plan to run into reality and be derailed somewhat (not counting the wrenches the MAlign throws in) and the GA have to accept some moderate to possibly large SL successor states existing. As long as they are neutral or friendly. As someone said before, any such states are going to be far more concerned with the systems/states around them than the SEM/GA.

You're forgetting that a major component of the Harrington Doctrine is "mutual defense treaties" with the SEM/GA. The more mutual defense treaties that can be signed, the larger potential threats can be dismissed as "too small to threaten us."

The Harrington Doctrine was stated as Manticoran strategy before the Grand Alliance was formed, but the assumption that, as the focus of SL aggression, Manticore would have a large input to GA strategy and the Harrington Doctrine would become GA Strategy as well.

Ah. I missed the aggressive part. In that case, they might be targets then.

That is also assuming they sign mutual defense treaties with the SEM. some polities, I am sure won't, and I can;t see the GA/SEM insisting upon it, nor do I see them using military force to break up the polity either. I think a large part of how they are dealt with is how far away the successor state is from the SEM/GA (wormhole junctions notwithstanding). Thew farther away, the more they will have to ignore it unless it becomes an obviously hostile threat. If they are neutral, I think they would be left alone. Otherwise it would look bad for the GA/SEM to attack it just because they refused to sign any mutual defense or economic treaties with the SEM.

One thing that will be a stickler for all of the systems in the SL will be control of the wormhole junctions Lancoon II seized. I cannot see how Manticore could retain control of those junctions without angering the systems they are in sooner than later, and using the promise of releasing control over them to the system as a lever to get the system to sign a mutual defense treaty might go over badly.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:09 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote:If they are neutral, I think they would be left alone.

You really need to read the paragraph I've cited for you so often. Neutrality is specifically mentioned as an option for successor states.

Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:30 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote:
lyonheart wrote:Hi Zakharra,

I'm curious, what 3 core worlds do you know of that can threaten Manticore or the GA, or any 3 of their core system neighbors?

The 'Honor doctrine' didn't identify any by name and suggested that even blocks of 50-60 systems weren't going to be much of a threat to the SEM when their neighbors were a more immediate and logical concern.

[snip]

Given the several years minimum it takes to build the ships and the decades to create a navy, even those few systems with a grudge will have a long hard time trying to convince their many neighbors who don't, that building a navy to avenge the SL is worth the trouble when the advantages of the 'Honor Doctrine' are obvious and far more immediately beneficial.

L

I was using the number example someone else gave. Personally I think it would take 8-12 Core worlds at, least to equal, the GDP of Manticore. Manticore's GDP is damned big because its based on the revenue that it's trade fleets bring in. That gives it a much much bigger revenue stream than any other system or very small groups of systems can complete with. I think a block of Core worlds and Shell systems that are a part of them could easily be a threat given time. That's more than enough to have a vigorous economy (I bet that many of the successor states will be pushing for their own merchant hulls rather than relying on Manticore hulls. Manticore ones being cheaper or not, I can't see -any- of them wanting to give Manticore the power to cripple their economies like they did the SL again), naval bases and an active R&D. I haven't gotten the latest book yet, but given what I've seen posted here, Honor and Manticore (the rest of the Ga seems irrelevant for some reason) don't want to allow -any- SL successor state to exist that could threaten them. I expect that plan to run into reality and be derailed somewhat (not counting the wrenches the MAlign throws in) and the GA have to accept some moderate to possibly large SL successor states existing. As long as they are neutral or friendly. As someone said before, any such states are going to be far more concerned with the systems/states around them than the SEM/GA. Unless the SEM makes them focus on the SEM.

Even with 8-12 core worlds I think they'd need a multi-decade singular focus on revenge to become a real threat to Manticore. Basically put their economies on a prolonged war footing to do the focused R&D and then fleet building necessary to overcome the GA's current military advantage.

That might happen, but would likely be fairly obvious. If only one small group of planets laser focused on building a military to significantly surpass the GA that would probably come across an Intel guys desk sooner or later. It's might be possible to hide the actual shipyards, but it's harder to hide that your economy is on a war footing. If necessary preemptive action could be taken on the basis of that hostility. (Though you'd try and lead with diplomatic action first)

I think the Honor Doctrine was more worried about economic concentrations large enough that they could casually build up militaries large enough to bully everyone else. Once they have the military then they start looking for ways to use it and getting even with Manticore might strike some politician as a good way to gain votes or influence.
Last edited by Jonathan_S on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by OlorinNight   » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:55 am

OlorinNight
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I seems to me that if the league breaks down in multiple states (even multi-system states), even if there is a desire for revenge, the GA should not be at risks:

- economically, each of those system would probably be weaker than the GA;
- on a R&D point of viewit they would do very well if they only manage to stay in shouting (or shooting??) distance of the GA

But it would be mostly on the political side that it would be very difficult for them to act on any revenge feeling: they would be surrounded by other systems coming out of the League and any tension, competiton or distrust that may have existed before the league disappeared would only be reinforced by the disappearence of the League governement. I can't believe that there is no hard feeling even between some core worlds right now Inside the league, and if opposing end up in different post-league states, they may very well act on those feelings, now that there is no one stopping them. Besides, there would still be the states coming from the shell and the protectorates, and those one are very unhappy at the core worlds right now. In other words, any states that would emerge out of the core worlds will probably have a lot of hostile planets and systems very close to him. Trying to pick a fight with the (very powerful) GA in those situation would be playing a very dangerous game...
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:08 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:Even with 8-12 core worlds I think they'd need a mulch-decade singular focus on revenge to become a real threat to Manticore. Basically put their economies on a prolonged war footing to do the focused R&D and then fleet building necessary to overcome the GA's current military advantage.

I think it would depend on how much shipbuilding capability a system already has when the SL collapses. As Zakharra asserts, there is bound to be an expansion of non-manticoran merchant fleets and a lot of military R&D could be hidden in the resulting increased shipyard activity. A single system with a major shipyard to start with and increased merchant building to hide research budgets in could build a credible threat to Manticore by itself.

8-12 aggressive systems is probably more likely to trip threat detectors in Manticoran Intelligence services, and we coincidentally know of a 12(13) system group that is ultimately hostile to Manticore that already has a hidden shipyard and R&D facility...

Jonathan_S wrote:I think the Honor Doctrine was more worried about economic concentrations large enough that they could casually build up militaries large enough to bully everyone else. Once they have the military then they start looking for ways to use it and getting even with Manticore might strike some politician as a good way to gain votes or influence.

I don't think the Honor Doctrine is more or less worried about whether a perceived threat is military or economic. The goal is to foster an environment where aggression just isn't profitable -- whether it is economic or military aggression.

That's probably not an obtainable goal in full, but a decent network of non-exclusive bilateral mutual defense and trade treaties (with a good deal of military assistance in the form of "Manticore Light" export tech) is going to come fairly close to the implied goal of "Peace In Our Time" (without the appeasement factor associated with that real-word statement.)

Return to Honorverse