Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 170 guests

Next Honor Book?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Next Honor Book?
Post by CathyH   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:30 pm

CathyH
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Does anyone have any idea when the next book will be?

Thanks
Re: Next Honor Book?
Post by ksandgren   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:01 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

CathyH wrote:Does anyone have any idea when the next book will be?

Thanks

Cathy,

There has been a lot of speculation on this subject by posters on this sight, but those taking guesses are not in a position to know. There was some information in an interview David Weber did roughly half a year ago that mentioned starting the next Honor book this month. That could have made possible a mid 2015 release. However, due to delays in the next Safehold manuscript, which was just turned into the publisher a couple of days ago, coupled with more recent info on what he's going to be writing next (he is working on a collaboration for a Call to Arms series book which is in the Honorverse but several centuries before Honor)it looks like it will be at least 2016 before we see a follow up to A Rising Thunder/Shadow of Freedom. There are many of us wishfully hoping its sooner, but even that is no more than a WAG.
Post by Gunny   » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:09 pm

Gunny
Lieutenant Commander

I get the feeling that it is easier and more fun to go create a new series than it is to come up with yet another story in the original series.

Or perhaps with a new series it is easier to get a co-author on line and producing if he doesn't have to go back and learn the characters and history from an older series. And in the Honor books there is a lot of history that we commenters talk about a lot.
Post by cnrd22   » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:22 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

Actually there is a very recent DW interview on YouTube (August 2014) where he discusses his next books and they are HFQ (done), Multiverse 3 collaboration (Road to Hell), next collaboration in Manticore Rising (Call to...), first of his magnum opus fantasy in 5 volumes that takes place a few decades after the Bazhell books

Also he mentions slowing down to probably 2 books a year due to age.

As Safehold is on a tighter schedule for Tor, it may be that after the above there will the next Safehold book and only then the next Honorverse continuing the story.

He also mentions in the interview that the main Honorverse storyline will most likely end in 3 books at a good stopping point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCueWzQ ... e=youtu.be
Post by Hutch   » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:12 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

cnrd22 wrote:Actually there is a very recent DW interview on YouTube (August 2014) where he discusses his next books and they are HFQ (done), Multiverse 3 collaboration (Road to Hell), next collaboration in Manticore Rising (Call to...), first of his magnum opus fantasy in 5 volumes that takes place a few decades after the Bazhell books

I'm 62 years old Weber...can't wait forever, y'know.

He also mentions in the interview that the main Honorverse storyline will most likely end in 3 books at a good stopping point.

Hmm, 3 books? First to polish off the SL and seek the MAlignment, Second is "The MAlignment Strikes Back" and the last being "Honor Triumphant"? They'd damn well better be long books, RFC, there is a lot of ground to get covered....

Patience is a virtue....too bad I'm not all that virturous.... :twisted: 8-) :lol:
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by JohnS   » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:55 pm

JohnS
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Gunny wrote:I get the feeling that it is easier and more fun to go create a new series than it is to come up with yet another story in the original series.

That's a very critical thing to say, considering the number of books already released in the Honorverse. Clearly RFC has no problem coming "up with yet another story in the original series". Not to mention that a lot of it has been pre-plotted years in advance of being put in a given book.

There are series that I started off liking, then burned out on. I strongly suspect that, in such cases, the author's enthusiasm burned out before mine. If writing multiple excellent series helps RFC recharge his interest in any given series, I'm all for it.
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:07 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

JohnS wrote:
Gunny wrote:I get the feeling that it is easier and more fun to go create a new series than it is to come up with yet another story in the original series.

That's a very critical thing to say, considering the number of books already released in the Honorverse. Clearly RFC has no problem coming "up with yet another story in the original series". Not to mention that a lot of it has been pre-plotted years in advance of being put in a given book.

There are series that I started off liking, then burned out on. I strongly suspect that, in such cases, the author's enthusiasm burned out before mine. If writing multiple excellent series helps RFC recharge his interest in any given series, I'm all for it.

SECONDED.

Now, if I had found out that there would likely be a long wait just after At All Costs, I would probably have felt quite differently about the matter... *runs away sobbing*
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:48 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

JohnS wrote:
Gunny wrote:
I get the feeling that it is easier and more fun to go create a new series than it is to come up with yet another story in the original series.

roseandheathe wrote:
SECONDED.

Now, if I had found out that there would likely be a long wait just after At All Costs, I would probably have felt quite differently about the matter... *runs away sobbing*

There there. No need for tears. I've filled buckets enough for the both of us.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:41 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

cnrd22 wrote:Actually there is a very recent DW interview on YouTube (August 2014) where he discusses his next books and they are HFQ (done), Multiverse 3 collaboration (Road to Hell), next collaboration in Manticore Rising (Call to...), first of his magnum opus fantasy in 5 volumes that takes place a few decades after the Bazhell books

As Safehold is on a tighter schedule for Tor, it may be that after the above there will the next Safehold book and only then the next Honorverse continuing the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCueWzQ ... e=youtu.be

I know this isn't going to change things a bit, but I'm 71. My interests are turning in different directions, and have been for the last few years. My primary interest at this point is to see how it ends, all wrapped up in a pretty bow. I didn't get the Stephanie Harrington novels, and I have no plans to get the Travis Long novels either. If the last few books are going to be at 2 year intervals I'll almost certainly have lost interest.
Post by Tenshinai   » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:34 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

That´s something i´m having trouble seeing, i mean it´s just a couple of books since he commented that he had reached roughly halfway through the storyline.

Hear the wails of despair echoing through the universe.

I didn't get the Stephanie Harrington novels

Try them anyway, decently good.

Return to Honorverse