Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 148 guests

Audrey O’Hanrahan

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Audrey O’Hanrahan
Post by Hutch   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:49 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Bill Woods wrote: But she's on Mesa before the new wave of explosions. Having left a major on-going story back on Earth and/or Beowulf. Obviously she got tipped off by someone that something big was about to happen on Mesa.

IIRC, she's there this time to follow-up on the "atrocities" committed by the Safeties and Misties in theri 'search' for the terrorist bombers. Again adding to her "no friend of Mesa/Manpower" Chops.

And given she's only a week or 10 days away from Mesa (Earth to Visigoth via hyper, then Visigoth-Mesa wormhole), making a follow-up visit isn't that out of the ordinary.

But I admit, I'm a bit fuzzy on the timelines, so if she's leaving at the same time Filareta is getting greeted by Honor and/or the Constitutional Crisis, you might wonder why she chose this time to return to Mesa....but it seems like she has at least the makings of a plausible cover story.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:55 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Hutch wrote:
Bill Woods wrote: But she's on Mesa before the new wave of explosions. Having left a major on-going story back on Earth and/or Beowulf. Obviously she got tipped off by someone that something big was about to happen on Mesa.

IIRC, she's there this time to follow-up on the "atrocities" committed by the Safeties and Misties in theri 'search' for the terrorist bombers. Again adding to her "no friend of Mesa/Manpower" Chops.

And given she's only a week or 10 days away from Mesa (Earth to Visigoth via hyper, then Visigoth-Mesa wormhole), making a follow-up visit isn't that out of the ordinary.

But I admit, I'm a bit fuzzy on the timelines, so if she's leaving at the same time Filareta is getting greeted by Honor and/or the Constitutional Crisis, you might wonder why she chose this time to return to Mesa....but it seems like she has at least the makings of a plausible cover story.

She wasn't really needed to cover the Great Solly Ass-Kicking At Manticore. How much in-depth analysis does it take to say "They came, they attacked, they got blowed up a lot"?
---------------
The difference between death and taxes is the government doesn't keep making death worse.
Post by saber964   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:03 pm

saber964
Admiral

Were forgetting that Alfredo is not the only Treecat in 10th Fleet. IIRC there are only two in the fleet and Alfredo was the only one close when Ackenbrant popped up. The odds are is that the other treecat was with Adm Bennington's(?) force at Tillerman. Also It would not be unreasonable for a flag officer to be accompanied by a body guard force if said flag officer was to land on a hostile shore(planet), to protect flag officer from loons from the loosing side. So Adm Gold Peak might have a new asst. Flag Lieutenant or a new asst. Chief of Staff or Operations Officer or Intelligences Officer or Communications Officer etc, etc..
Post by JohnRoth   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:16 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

saber964 wrote:Were forgetting that Alfredo is not the only Treecat in 10th Fleet. IIRC there are only two in the fleet and Alfredo was the only one close when Ackenbrant popped up. The odds are is that the other treecat was with Adm Bennington's(?) force at Tillerman. Also It would not be unreasonable for a flag officer to be accompanied by a body guard force if said flag officer was to land on a hostile shore(planet), to protect flag officer from loons from the loosing side. So Adm Gold Peak might have a new asst. Flag Lieutenant or a new asst. Chief of Staff or Operations Officer or Intelligences Officer or Communications Officer etc, etc..

Master Sergeant Cognasso is not an officer. It would not be at all out of character for him to be in charge of a Marine detachment assigned to Admiral Gold Peak's security; it seems to be out of character for him to be standing sentry duty; he's too high in rank. If part of the objective is to maximize Alfredo's surprise factor among people who haven't been briefed in on what Sphinxian treecats can do, then staying in character would be important.
Post by Bill Woods   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:35 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

JohnRoth wrote: Master Sergeant Cognasso is not an officer. It would not be at all out of character for him to be in charge of a Marine detachment assigned to Admiral Gold Peak's security; it seems to be out of character for him to be standing sentry duty; he's too high in rank. If part of the objective is to maximize Alfredo's surprise factor among people who haven't been briefed in on what Sphinxian treecats can do, then staying in character would be important.
Does a treecat have to be in line-of-sight? If not, put him in another room for interviews, ready to nudge the intelligence officer when there's an interesting reaction to a question. (Or hit the big red button if there's a threat.)
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:55 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:
JohnRoth wrote: Master Sergeant Cognasso is not an officer. It would not be at all out of character for him to be in charge of a Marine detachment assigned to Admiral Gold Peak's security; it seems to be out of character for him to be standing sentry duty; he's too high in rank. If part of the objective is to maximize Alfredo's surprise factor among people who haven't been briefed in on what Sphinxian treecats can do, then staying in character would be important.
Does a treecat have to be in line-of-sight? If not, put him in another room for interviews, ready to nudge the intelligence officer when there's an interesting reaction to a question. (Or hit the big red button if there's a threat.)

If you're worried about reaction to nano-programmed threats the Treecat pretty much has to be in the room.

Not so much before of his empathic sensing range, but because of reaction time of others in response. Remember that in the attack against Honor, with Nimitz right their next to her, there was barely time to react.

Now there are non-treecat actions you can take to make that particular attack less likely; like making it harder to bring weapons (or anything unusual) near the principle and simultaneously making it harder to swipe a weapon from a sentry. But that doesn't help if it's one of your own guards that got reprogrammed. If they turn while in the same room with you you've got seconds at most to foil their attack.

A treecat in another room hitting a panic button just adds delay which you can't afford.

If just using the treecat to improve interrogation results then obviously there isn't that split-second timing required. For that it probably is practical to put the treecat in the observation room watching an interrogation next door with a more subtle way to signal the interviewer. And A Beautiful Friendship tells us that Lionheart was able to recognize the mind glow of a particular human (other than Stephanie) at "one hundred and fourteen meters"; while seated inside a restaurant. Now I doubt that was as much info as he could have gotten up close; but that does seem to indicated that the empathic sense will work through walls and over modest distances. Seems more than enough to work from an adjacent room.
Post by SWM   » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:36 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

No, I'm pretty sure she did not arrive on Mesa until after the new wave of explosions started. She does not show up in the book until Chapter 41. The explosions started in Chapter 35.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Bill Woods   » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:55 am

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure she did not arrive on Mesa until after the new wave of explosions started. She does not show up in the book until Chapter 41. The explosions started in Chapter 35.
Oh, well, I meant the nuclear explosions. She went out to Mesa after the Green Pines bombings, but by itself 'terrorists blew up a cruise ship' doesn't seem a big enough story to justify another trip, given all the stuff that's going on in the SL: constitutional crisis, civil war, invasion.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by SWM   » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:03 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:
SWM wrote:No, I'm pretty sure she did not arrive on Mesa until after the new wave of explosions started. She does not show up in the book until Chapter 41. The explosions started in Chapter 35.
Oh, well, I meant the nuclear explosions. She went out to Mesa after the Green Pines bombings, but by itself 'terrorists blew up a cruise ship' doesn't seem a big enough story to justify another trip, given all the stuff that's going on in the SL: constitutional crisis, civil war, invasion.

No, but having Mesa blame the Ballroom for these explosions, after she did a piece ridiculing their blaming of Green Pines on the Ballroom, is plenty of reason for her to go out for a follow-up. Especially since Manticore has blamed the conflict with the Solarian League on Mesa. There's good reason for her to go to Mesa to give on-the-ground reporting.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Direwolf18   » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:53 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Never mind I re-read what you wrote, and realized I misread it entirely.

My fault.

Return to Honorverse