Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 154 guests

Audrey O’Hanrahan

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Audrey O’Hanrahan
Post by Bill Woods   » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:56 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Hutch wrote:Also, given that Alfredo is probably the only cat with her forces (textev said there were two treecats in Tenth Fleet, IIRC, and I presume the other is still in Talbott),...

Well, that won't last long. It's only 60 ltyr from Beowulf to Visigoth, and news of the need for a task force to support 10th Fleet at Mesa reached Manticore at least a short time before Zilwicki's return. It's probably already under weigh.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:23 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Tenshinai wrote:They have repeatedly extinguished centuries worth of generations of various genetic lines, and then simply started over at an early point.

They breed people like guinea pigs, they have zero value by themselves, it´s what they can do, or what can be done by using them that has value.

So, if there´s any reason to not sacrifice her, it´s NOT going to have anything to do just with her being an Alpha line.

It´s going to be a question of "how can she best serve to further our plans?".

Remember, they would almost certainly only throw away ONE single iteration of the line.
It´s entirely possible they already have a halffinished clone ready and waiting if a replacement is desired.
And it wouldn´t surprise me even for a moment if there´s a dozen or two with near identical genetics to Audrey somewhere.

That´s part of the point of finding/creating the Alpha lines ( don´t forget, genetic lines can get elevated or depreciated ), to make sure you can spread their "superiority" further.

Try reading the fanfiction variant of "Divine Blood", see how Kodachi Kuno makes herself a truly magnificent bastard evil overlord.

That´s one of the very good sides of RFCs writing, his villains doesn´t pull their punches. The MA wants GA and the SL to mix it up in a BIG fight? Well in that case, does Audrey serve that mission best by reporting, or by dying at the hands of the insidious Manties?

Her death would definitely be news of the exceptionally inflammatory kind, i very much doubt she could manage anything like it by doing her job "creatively".

But like i said, it depends on what the exact plans of the MA really are, if the need a properly placed hidden propaganda outlet for later, then of course they will try to keep Audrey alive and VERY credible.

But even then, plans must change according to events. :twisted:
Don't forget that she has more use that just genetic. Even though a full grown clone would preserve her genetic template and could probably got a long way to duplicating her abilities it couldn't act in the same way for the MAlign that O'Hanranhan does.

Her clone, even if roughly the same age, doesn't have her audience and probably doesn't even have the multi-generational cover that the embedded Alpha lines do. Despite all her investigative or journalistic abilities a clone couldn't quickly (or likely at all) rise to the same level of League wide public influence.

That doesn't mean that the MAlign might still decide O'Hanranhan is worth more to their cause dead - I'm just pointing out that the costs are more than merely genetic and they'd factor in the loss of access and influence that would apply with any deep cover agent; whether or not they're genetically superior. :D
Post by Hornblower   » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:32 pm

Hornblower
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

It is also possible that she start to doubt the methods and goals of MAlign. This has after all happend to other alphalines in the onion (Jack McBryde and perhaps also his brother Zackarias). Only RFC knows. ;)
Post by Bill Woods   » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:06 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Amaroq wrote:
Tenshinai wrote:
OR she is meant to die in the "atrocities" to make it an even bigger media splash ASAP rather than the slower effect(possibly longterm more effective, or not) her reporting would have.

:twisted:

High profile targets makes for BIG headlines if they die.

I know the MAlign is not above making sacrifices to further their plans but would they so cavalierly throw away a product of one of their own Alpha lines? My impression was that those people are valuable.
Eh. Some are, some aren't. There are lots of of Alphas outside the inner layers of the conspiracy. And even within ... the first bomb was in a plane containing several Alphas who thought they were on the last Houdini flight. They were off by one.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by Direwolf18   » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:45 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

I am strongly in the camp that Alfredo will not go berserk on her. Thinking he would is kinda insulting to him to be honest. Treecats have a short way with threats, but O'Hanrahan isn't an immediate threat. If she drew a weapon on Mike, yea sure. But don't treat him like an animal that will have a predictable fight or flight response just because she might really know more about the MA then she is letting on.

Before I go to far judging, how far inside the onion is she really? Yes she is an Alpha Line, but what does she know? Does she think its a fight for the right to geneticaly enhance the human race without attacks from the likes of Beowulf? In many ways a noble goal. Her personal dislike of Manpower has come across before, and she IS a member of the society of creative anachronism, something that immediately sets off a "good guy" flag. For all we know the full ramifications of operation Houdini might appall her.

Or is she fully in on the galactic domination goals?
Post by Tenshinai   » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Hutch wrote:
Oh, I concur that she won't be alone. But I'm sure that the Marines on-board the ship will make very sure that there is no suicide devices and at least one will be present in any meeting.

And has Alfredo been home recently enough to know what the treecat clans are now doing and/or to share the mind-glow of infected two-legs from the Memory Singers? We simply don't know.

But there is no obvious threat from O'Hanranhan....she's just a reporter, more able than most, doing her job. Better if Alfredo was present when questioning that piece of work representing Manpower on the Mesa Board of Directors.....

There was no obvious threat from Tim Mears either. Or from any of the other people known to have been employed as remote control assasins.
Zero chance that if a treecat is available, it wont be around when she is meeting someone from the planet.
Not going to happen.
Post by SWM   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:46 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Direwolf18 wrote:Before I go to far judging, how far inside the onion is she really? Yes she is an Alpha Line, but what does she know? Does she think its a fight for the right to geneticaly enhance the human race without attacks from the likes of Beowulf? In many ways a noble goal. Her personal dislike of Manpower has come across before, and she IS a member of the society of creative anachronism, something that immediately sets off a "good guy" flag. For all we know the full ramifications of operation Houdini might appall her.

Or is she fully in on the galactic domination goals?

I thought she was in the Onion but not all the way in, myself. But the text is pretty clear--she knows a LOT.
Cauldron of Ghosts wrote:O'Hanrahan had never been part of the plans for Operation Houdini. In fact, she'd never heard of Houdini, other than as the name of an obscure ancient magician and trickster. But she was one of the tiny handful of human beings who knew not only of the Mesan Alignment's existence, but of its actual purpose as well

She knows the true purpose of the Alignment, and voluntarily became a covert agent to promote it.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by kzt   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:11 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:She knows the true purpose of the Alignment, and voluntarily became a covert agent to promote it.

Oddly enough the SEM is also trying to tell people that same secret, so belief in this isn't exactly confined MA covert agents. ;)
Post by Amaroq   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:20 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

Was O'Hanrahan's visit to Mesa known prior to 10th Fleet moving on the system? Would they think it suspicious that she's on-planet or would they assume that she was there trying to dig up something about the Alignment to see if the Many's "preposterous" claims had any truth to them?
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by BrightSoul   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:25 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

Amaroq wrote:Was O'Hanrahan's visit to Mesa known prior to 10th Fleet moving on the system? Would they think it suspicious that she's on-planet or would they assume that she was there trying to dig up something about the Alignment to see if the Many's "preposterous" claims had any truth to them?

I suspect the latter rather than the former. Once they find her there they are likely to look at her with some mistrust. 1)She's a Sollie reporter and 2) she filed the false story on New Tuscany. I wonder if that might not be the reason for an interview with Mike in person, with of course her personal guard. You know, the guy with a treecat?

Return to Honorverse