Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 163 guests

Audrey O’Hanrahan

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Audrey O’Hanrahan
Post by Caseyorourke   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:48 pm

Caseyorourke
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Now that 10th Fleet has arrived, I would not be surprised to see O'Hanrahan try to arrange in interview with Michelle as a ploy to gather some intel for the MA. I would no be surprised to see Alfredo present during the interview.

Anybody willing to guess his reaction when O'Hanrahan feigns ignorance about the Alignment and Mesa's part of it?
Re: Audrey O’Hanrahan
Post by kzt   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:59 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Caseyorourke wrote:Anybody willing to guess his reaction when O'Hanrahan feigns ignorance about the Alignment and Mesa's part of it?

She does this for a living and is among the very best in a few trillion at doing this. What makes you think that Audry will allow the interview to go there?
Post by Caseyorourke   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:31 pm

Caseyorourke
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

kzt wrote:
Caseyorourke wrote:Anybody willing to guess his reaction when O'Hanrahan feigns ignorance about the Alignment and Mesa's part of it?

She does this for a living and is among the very best in a few trillion at doing this. What makes you think that Audry will allow the interview to go there?

Because I believe her character has a role to play, as does Zach McBryde's. David wouldn't be taking the time to establish characters like this without having plans for them and given Audreys's occupation it seems a given that she would be found out during a one on one interview with Michele where an offhand remark or her nonverbal reaction to Michele even mentioning the MA would be enough to set catch Alfredo's attention.
Post by Tenshinai   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:47 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

My thoughts are rather going in a different direction, i wonder what O'Hanrahan will think when she realises Houdini was performed, and she wasn´t part of it.

And then of course, there´s the possibility that she is going to be used as a showoff about Manticoran evilness in general, by dying at a convenient time and place.

As such an extremely high profile person, having it look like heavyhanded Manties got rid of her because she annoyed them with "The Truth", that could be one serious coup for the Malign. Just to make sure there are no silly thoughts about diplomacy getting into the Solarian picture.
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:03 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Caseyorourke wrote:Now that 10th Fleet has arrived, I would not be surprised to see O'Hanrahan try to arrange in interview with Michelle as a ploy to gather some intel for the MA. I would no be surprised to see Alfredo present during the interview.

Anybody willing to guess his reaction when O'Hanrahan feigns ignorance about the Alignment and Mesa's part of it?

I seriously doubt that she'll be doing it as a ploy for anyone. Will she be looking for an interview with Admiral Henke? Of course. Any newperson in her right mind will be looking for one.

However.

Consider what the MAlign knew when they cut her orders. They knew about Houdini, they knew they were going to do mass slaughter and try to hang it on the Ballroom. They didn't know how soon 10th fleet would get there, or even if anyone in Manticore was thinking about it.

Most especially, they didn't know about Anton, Thandi, Victor and Yana heading back to Mesa; that secret leaked out just as the last of them were leaving.

If you were a muck-raking journalist, and you had a choice between Admiral Henke and Victor Cachet or General Paline, which would you take? Who's likely to know more of the muck you want to turn over? Who's likely to be able to get you in touch with everything you've been so carefully protected against seeing?
Post by BrightSoul   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:58 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

I suspect she was deliberately on Mesa as the PR end of Operation Houdini. I'll have to double check but I seem to recall that she was positioned comfortably out of the way in time to cover some of the Nukes going off. I'll check again during my next re-read.

She is a potential wild card for both sides. She could be used to pitch the grand lie although that would seriously discredit her outside of the League and expose her to Manticore confirming her involvement in the Alignment. On the other hand she could play up the honest newsie and get caught out during a meeting with a tree cat. I wonder if there are any Sphinxian Newies who've been adopted?
Post by exiledtoIA   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:29 pm

exiledtoIA
Lieutenant Commander

In CoG she is pointedly told exactly where to stay while on Mesa.
It is not a place she would have picked for herself judging by the comments she makes. She ends up deciding that the higher-ups want her on Mesa but not where anything will happen to her.

BrightSoul wrote:I suspect she was deliberately on Mesa as the PR end of Operation Houdini. I'll have to double check but I seem to recall that she was positioned comfortably out of the way in time to cover some of the Nukes going off. I'll check again during my next re-read.

She is a potential wild card for both sides. She could be used to pitch the grand lie although that would seriously discredit her outside of the League and expose her to Manticore confirming her involvement in the Alignment. On the other hand she could play up the honest newsie and get caught out during a meeting with a tree cat. I wonder if there are any Sphinxian Newies who've been adopted?
Post by SWM   » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:06 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Tenshinai wrote:My thoughts are rather going in a different direction, i wonder what O'Hanrahan will think when she realises Houdini was performed, and she wasn´t part of it.
Why should she have been a part of Houdini? The purpose of Houdini was to hide people living on Mesa who would be vulnerable when Manticore inevitably came to call. All of the people in Houdini knew things about Mesa's operations which they did not want to fall into enemy hands when Mesa came under Manticoran control, or had special skills which Mesa did not want to lose.

Audrey does not fall into either of those categories. She does not actually know anything special about Alignment operations. She knows that the Mesan Alignment exists, but so do many other covert operatives scattered around the galaxy. She does not know anything that would compromise the Alignment. She is a covert operative, and her job is to be exactly where she is. Her special skill is exactly what she is doing--subtly twisting public perceptions. Her job is not to gain intelligence--she doesn't even have anyone to give any intelligence she happens to gain. Her cover is perfect. She has no obvious connections to the planet Mesa, unlike every single person who was extracted during Houdini. There is no reason she should expect to have been part of Houdini.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by SWM   » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:12 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Caseyorourke wrote:Now that 10th Fleet has arrived, I would not be surprised to see O'Hanrahan try to arrange in interview with Michelle as a ploy to gather some intel for the MA. I would no be surprised to see Alfredo present during the interview.

She knows about treecats. She is smart enough and skilled enough to keep topics to things she can handle. She's been doing this a long time, and she is clearly an actor of skill even more extraordinary than people realize. I suspect that she can handle the interview, though unexpected things might result. I agree that it seems natural that she would want to interview top people in Henke's fleet, Henke herself if possible. That interview should make fascinating reading, however it works out.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Tenshinai   » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:24 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

Why should she have been a part of Houdini? The purpose of Houdini was to hide people living on Mesa who would be vulnerable when Manticore inevitably came to call. All of the people in Houdini knew things about Mesa's operations which they did not want to fall into enemy hands when Mesa came under Manticoran control, or had special skills which Mesa did not want to lose.

Yes, so what will she think if finding out that "The Truth" has been withheld from her?

Also, the op was to get all the important people to the real MA base, i doubt a high profile, big ego journalist is going to like how she was not considered part of those important people.

Anyway, i didn´t say that is how it WILL be, just that it is an interesting scenario.

She knows about treecats. She is smart enough and skilled enough to keep topics to things she can handle. She's been doing this a long time, and she is clearly an actor of skill even more extraordinary than people realize.

But skill at ACTING isn´t going to have ANY relevance to treecats. And trying to control topics like that could be enough to cause suspicion just by itself(to a treecat that is).

Return to Honorverse