Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], zyffyr and 37 guests

Transmission of grav pulses

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Transmission of grav pulses
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:09 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Is there any form of entanglement in the Honorverse?

Of course! Romantic, legal, bureaucratic, kitten in yarn, dog and leash and many more. Which one were you thinking of?

Or maybe the quantum variety. After 2000 years, God found the lost dice documented in Milton's epic poem: Pair o Dice Lost. When He rolls them, they're loaded.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:29 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:Is there any form of entanglement in the Honorverse?

Of course! Romantic, legal, bureaucratic, kitten in yarn, dog and leash and many more. Which one were you thinking of?

Or maybe the quantum variety. After 2000 years, God found the lost dice documented in Milton's epic poem: Pair o Dice Lost. When He rolls them, they're loaded.

Or very quickly unloaded!!! :lol:

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by SWM   » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:29 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Phalanx wrote:Strategic concerns aside, would it be possible to somehow setup a network of "Telegraph lines"(IN SPAAACCE!?

You mean like the network of FTL Comm buoys strung between Manticore A and Manticore B and the Wormhole Junction? Been done.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Annachie   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:06 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

"I'm just a spaceman for the county"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Theemile   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:"I'm just a spaceman for the county"

Statements like this remind me how different the Honorverse will be from today.

If you created any job in space today, and posted an advert for the job - the interview line would last for miles, full of overqualified applicants. In the end, an Air Force Colonel who won the Heisman trophy and has 2 PhDs and 6000 hours in fighters will be hired to turn a wrench or plunge a toilet (IN SPAAAACE).

In the Honorverse, space will be full of jobs filled by individuals, who like today, are not the best qualified for the job, but the best you could find who will do the job.

So today, a Space Janitor could teach graduate level engineering and physics courses; Space Janitors in the Honorverse will be the same group of people who are janitors today.

And yet, it makes me kind of smile - there will always be jobs to be screwed up by that 2nd cousin we all have, but no one wants to talk about.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Lord Skimper   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

SWM wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Strategic concerns aside, would it be possible to somehow setup a network of "Telegraph lines"(IN SPAAACCE!?

You mean like the network of FTL Comm buoys strung between Manticore A and Manticore B and the Wormhole Junction? Been done.

Might mean between star systems. In which case it could be done but the message would be slower than a ship in hyper space. The security of the Towers would be difficult and you would need a lot of them.
Post by Phalanx   » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:51 am

Phalanx
Commander

[quote=Johnathan_S]Now if you're asking about intersteller FTL, the answer is that it's possible technically, but not economically or practically. You need too many Hermes buoy like relays, they cost too much, and in hyper need way too much maintenance. Plus in hyper they're not all vastly faster than a dispatch boat. In normal space FTL comms are 62x faster than light, in the Theta bands it's only 1.2x faster than light (or 2x faster than a dispatch boat)

When I was speculating on alpha ripple signal from a very rapidly spinning wedge I was groping towards a possible basis for an FTL signal noise jammer; if it was "noisy" enough.

Admittedly, even if this does work a ship doing that would be bloody obvious and therefore rapidly targeted and destroyed.[/quote]

Okay, but would it be possible for a series of Hermes Buoys(or an improvement of the same tech) to be placed insides two systems(lets call them Apple and Banana).

So assuming Manticore had the budget and infrastructure to do this, it would be possible for a string of Hermes buoys to placed and provide near real-time FTL comms?

How many Hermes buoys would you need between "Apple" and "Banana", if they were 30 LY apart?
_

Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:10 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Phalanx wrote:How many Hermes buoys would you need between "Apple" and "Banana", if they were 30 LY apart?

You'd need 300 or more -- at a very rough guess. That would get your message from Apple to Banana in about 5.8 months. Call it six months when you add in retransmission delays.

A dispatch boat traveling in the hyper-band that yields an effective 1200xFTL would make the same trip in around ten days with time in N-space to and from the hyper-limits.

At least if I haven't screwed up the math that's why interstellar Hermes Buoy chains are impractical.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by KNick   » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:33 am

KNick
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Phalanx wrote:How many Hermes buoys would you need between "Apple" and "Banana", if they were 30 LY apart?

You'd need 300 or more -- at a very rough guess. That would get your message from Apple to Banana in about 5.8 months. Call it six months when you add in retransmission delays.

A dispatch boat traveling in the hyper-band that yields an effective 1200xFTL would make the same trip in around ten days with time in N-space to and from the hyper-limits.

At least if I haven't screwed up the math that's why interstellar Hermes Buoy chains are impractical.

Without seeing the math, I can't tell if you made a mistake with it. The mistake you did make is in the range estimate you used. It looks like you figured just over a light-month as the average range, when in fact it is less than a light hour. 30 buoys per light day is probably closer to what would be needed. Even a ship's transit from hyperspace is visible at a maximum of a couple of light-months only by using huge sensor arrays. I doubt that even the Manticoran arrays would pick up something like a Hermes buoy at a full light-month. They just are not as powerful as a ship's wedge.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:58 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

KNick wrote:Without seeing the math, I can't tell if you made a mistake with it. The mistake you did make is in the range estimate you used. It looks like you figured just over a light-month as the average range, when in fact it is less than a light hour.

As I said, it was a very rough estimate, but I did somewhat assume that it wouldn't even be tried without greatly increased range for each buoy/repeater.

I didn't use the buoys in calculating transmission times, just 62xLight for NSpace and 1200XLight for the dispatch boat, both over 30LY.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse