Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 57 guests

Transmission of grav pulses

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Transmission of grav pulses
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:24 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
lyonheart wrote:Hi Jonathon_S,

A minor nit; from the textev the Hermes buoy range appears to be close to a light hour than 5 light minutes.

So ~15 ought to be fine, and redundancy makes it thirty.

Since we have no textev for how long the fuel of those distantly orbiting in system last, what rate of refueling those in the Manticore A-B link do people think is really required?

L
Thanks for that. I admit I didn't go back and try to find the reference.

So it was more a paper exercise of "what if they were very short ranged". If we only need 30 or so it seems quite reasonable to place a chain from Manticore A to B.

As to the fuel capacity I've no idea. (But I look forward to everyone's speculation)

Since Hermes buoys are part of fleet detachments, and since those need to get to where they're needed without a ship to drop them off, they seem to be built on Ghost Rider drone bases. Since they've still got a lot of Top Secret military technology (micro-fusion plants, FTL com technology, etc.) I see no reason why the version deployed in the Manticore Binary System shouldn't either be the same units, or a slight modification with more endurance. That means, among other things, that there's no reason for ships to go out and service them; they can simply use their own drive to come back to base when their relief arrives.

Beyond that, I might plan for a month endurance, although a week wouldn't be impossible - the tradeoff would simply be requiring four and a bit more times maintenance capacity.
Post by saber964   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:06 pm

saber964
Admiral

As I understand it, In 1903 PD a 1st gen grav-pulse buoy had a range of 4 LH by the by 1922 PD they have improved the range to IIRC 6 LH with full voice, video and data capability. FTL comms is not instantaneous its speed is 64x the speed of light or slightly less then 1 second per LM. So for a conversation between Sphinx and Manticore at closes approach is about 20 seconds round trip.
Post by n7axw   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:03 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
n7axw wrote:Now Harold, I'm experiencing disgruntlement at your last statement. We do have a few cowboys, sheepherders and hermits outside the freeway corridors... They need to be rescued from "cell hell!"

But SD isn't a western state, it's midwest. :P

Out here in the real west, there's big areas with nothing at all interspersed with small towns with three or four cell towers branching off the freeway corridors.

check out the map: http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/vzw/ ... arison.jpg

I was thinking about the last couple of times I drove through Wyoming... Also in Mt we put repeater towers for vhf amateur on mountain tops...

By the way don't tell the folks west of the Missouri in SD that they are Midwest unless you have a running start...

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:33 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:By the way don't tell the folks west of the Missouri in SD that they are Midwest unless you have a running start...

If you're west of the Mississippi and east of the Rocky Mountains, you're in the Middle of America.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by n7axw   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:06 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
n7axw wrote:By the way don't tell the folks west of the Missouri in SD that they are Midwest unless you have a running start...

If you're west of the Mississippi and east of the Rocky Mountains, you're in the Middle of America.

By that thinking half of Mn is Midwest, half in the east. C'mon guy, Il. In, Mi, Ia are all Midwest.

Culturally eastern SD and ND are Midewest. the western part of both states is more like WY and MT.

The true measure of the West is cowboy boots anf the rifle hanging in the window of the pickup, and oh yes, don't forget the hat! :D

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:The true measure of the West is cowboy boots anf the rifle hanging in the window of the pickup, and oh yes, don't forget the hat! :D

Don

Nah, the true measure of the West is how many mountain ranges are between you and the Pacific Ocean. :P

Post by drothgery   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:35 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

The American "Midwest" is the states carved out of the old Northwest territory, which is to say mostly the ones bordering the Great Lakes except New York and PA. That these states are well east of the middle of the country today is of very little relevance except to people who try to be contrarians, and Great Plains residents who don't want to be lumped in with Californians in the West (as an Ohio native living in California, I can understand this desire, but historical precedent is against you).
Post by n7axw   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:29 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

The American "Midwest" is the states carved out of the old Northwest territory, which is to say mostly the ones bordering the Great Lakes except New York and PA. That these states are well east of the middle of the country today is of very little relevance except to people who try to be contrarians, and Great Plains residents who don't want to be lumped in with Californians in the West (as an Ohio native living in California, I can understand this desire, but historical precedent is against you).[/quote]

Harold is a natural contrarian. That's why we love him so much!

Don
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:04 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

drothgery wrote:I can understand this desire, but historical precedent is against you).

Historical precedent stands no chance against anecdotal evidence. I grew up in Western Oregon where everything except the Coast Range was "back east." :p

(That an a desire to yank Don's chain. :lol: )

Return to Honorverse