Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fireflair and 67 guests

Apollo, inspired by the KIROV and SS-N-19 antiship missile?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Apollo, inspired by the KIROV and SS-N-19 antiship missi
Post by kzt   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:19 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

namelessfly wrote:You are able to use a CIWS because the population is in hardened shelters able to withstand about 50psi overpressure. I don't think people would be vulnerable to a 30mm round falling at terminal velocity. Given the relative risk of a one megaton nuke verses a 30 mm round, I don't think that they would worry about the 30 mm round.

The Army used this in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Re: Apollo, inspired by the KIROV and SS-N-19 antiship missi
Post by dreamrider   » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:29 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
Annachie wrote:Come onRFC, one of the first rules of weapon design has to be countering whatever you design. Surely the Manties alteady have an FTL jammer that they can signal through waiting in the wings. :)

Um. To the best of my knowledge, nobody's come up with a really good counter for a 16"/50 gun . . . except to devise weapons which outrange it so much you don't have to come into its reach . . . .

Sometimes there simply isn't a "counter" for a weapon and you just have to go ahead and accept that because if you don't equip your ships with it, the other side darned well will, and then where will you be?

C'mon David,
There is a well-known counter for a 16"/50 AP round...you just can't plate it onto the outside of a mobile platform and expect it to float! :twisted:

dreamrider

Return to Honorverse