Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests

Apollo, inspired by the KIROV and SS-N-19 antiship missile?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Apollo, inspired by the KIROV and SS-N-19 antiship missi
Post by namelessfly   » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:18 pm

namelessfly

A good point.

I confess that my use of certain adjectives for certain groups of people is largely a reaction to the many people on this forum who engage in exactly that type of bigotry in regards to Christains and conservatives.

crewdude48 wrote:
namelessfly wrote:When you are launching rockets intentionally into civilian population centers with the avowed intention of inflicting maximum civilian casualties, I will refer to you as a rag head or some other derogatory name whatever your race, ethnicity or religion.

That is kind of like saying "I only use the N word to refer to certain types of black people." There are plenty of derogatory names that you can use that do not denegrate entire societies.

If you want to be accurate as well as dismissive, you could go with something like "muj," short for mujahedin or "those who struggle," from the same root as jihad. I think their struggle is with basic intelligence. See? I have insulted the people I wanted to insult and not the 70% of the culture who don't support them or the 15% who are actively against them.

They are more or less militant Wesbro Babtists. You wouldn't want somebody grouping you in with them, would you?
Post by Annachie   » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:52 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

To be realistic, most places that could see nukes used are more likely to have been suitcase nukes anyway.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Donnachaidh   » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

It's entirely possible I've missed it but I don't recall people on this forum using slurs against Christians or conservatives.

namelessfly wrote:A good point.

I confess that my use of certain adjectives for certain groups of people is largely a reaction to the many people on this forum who engage in exactly that type of bigotry in regards to Christains and conservatives.
Post by Donnachaidh   » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

Wouldn't where the CWIS rounds that miss be a big issue if you were using the CWIS is a populated area? It works for ships because the ocean is really empty so it's easy for it to spot where the friendlies are around it.

namelessfly wrote:[SNIP]
...Even more importantly, forcing an attacker to use low altitude or surface bursts enables a defender to employ close in weapons systems such as the 30mm Goalkeeper Gatling gun.

IMHO, we are soon going to suffer a limited nuclear strike that will not destroy the US but make us regret not having defenses.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Donna, take a look at the anti-air stuff from WW2. Fire explosive anti-air straight up defending a city, shrapnel comes straight down. London had shelters from their own AA fire.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by kzt   » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:38 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Donnachaidh wrote:Wouldn't where the CWIS rounds that miss be a big issue if you were using the CWIS is a populated area? It works for ships because the ocean is really empty so it's easy for it to spot where the friendlies are around it.

Nope, the rounds have a self-destruct feature. Which mostly works, so you usually just get fairly small pieces falling. Given the accuracy of the current generation of murderous fanatics with rockets and mortars, the threat of having your house and family obliterated by a 122mm GRAD that missed a 2 square mile target by a mile is a lot higher than the chance that you'll be killed by the 20mm rounds.

http://www.msl.army.mil/Pages/C-RAM/default.html
Post by Donnachaidh   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:50 am

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

Thanks for the info.

Annachie wrote:Donna, take a look at the anti-air stuff from WW2. Fire explosive anti-air straight up defending a city, shrapnel comes straight down. London had shelters from their own AA fire.

kzt wrote:
Donnachaidh wrote:Wouldn't where the CWIS rounds that miss be a big issue if you were using the CWIS is a populated area? It works for ships because the ocean is really empty so it's easy for it to spot where the friendlies are around it.

Nope, the rounds have a self-destruct feature. Which mostly works, so you usually just get fairly small pieces falling. Given the accuracy of the current generation of murderous fanatics with rockets and mortars, the threat of having your house and family obliterated by a 122mm GRAD that missed a 2 square mile target by a mile is a lot higher than the chance that you'll be killed by the 20mm rounds.

Post by crewdude48   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:03 am

crewdude48
Commodore

namelessfly wrote:[SNIP]
...Even more importantly, forcing an attacker to use low altitude or surface bursts enables a defender to employ close in weapons systems such as the 30mm Goalkeeper Gatling gun.

IMHO, we are soon going to suffer a limited nuclear strike that will not destroy the US but make us regret not having defenses.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about rounds from a CIWS. One of my friends on my last ship was in charge of maintenance for one of them. According to him, CIWS stands for "Crap! It Won't Shoot! :lol:
Post by Daryl   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:56 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Regrettably I could have been one. Ages ago I was so surprised by some of 'Fly's statements I wasn't sure if he was genuine or just stirring the pot, as his world view and values are just so different to those held by me or any people I know. By the time I realised that he was for real I had grievously insulted him. I'm very sorry about that and have been more careful since, mind you I still find his world to be very strange.

Donnachaidh wrote:It's entirely possible I've missed it but I don't recall people on this forum using slurs against Christians or conservatives.

namelessfly wrote:A good point.

Post by namelessfly   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:24 am

namelessfly

kzt wrote:

You are able to use a CIWS because the population is in hardened shelters able to withstand about 50psi overpressure. I don't think people would be vulnerable to a 30mm round falling at terminal velocity. Given the relative risk of a one megaton nuke verses a 30 mm round, I don't think that they would worry about the 30 mm round.

Return to Honorverse