Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 146 guests

Mercenaries in the Honorverse:Manticore's hypocrisy?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Mercenaries in the Honorverse:Manticore's hypocrisy?
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:00 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

OFS might be considered a mercenary band for that matter the Manties "under" Firebrand could be considered mercs too! Not everyone gets paid cash money.
Post by SWM   » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:08 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Phalanx wrote:Manticore has taken a tough line on Mercenaries.

In Manticore's view, Mercenaries are used by smaller nations as "rent-a-thugs" to harass shipping or attack other systems outright.

However, a smaller Star Nation might say "Well, not everyone has a Navy and Merchant Marine that can cover most of its commercial traffic. Some of us smaller Star Nations would like to protect ourselves without depending on larger states.Furthermore, we object to being told how to allocate our own defense spending."

Is this policy justified, or a bias generated from Manticore's experience with mercenaries.

Exactly what policy are you talking about? I don't recall a specific policy by Manticore on mercenaries. It's hard to discuss the topic without knowing what you are referring to.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by csantana183   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:58 am

csantana183
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Wasn't Gustav Anderman a Mercenary commander when he moved in to save Postdam (forgot the original name of planet) and then became the Emperor and if I remember correctly the first successful export that the Andermani had were Mercenaries.
Post by Roguevictory   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:43 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

csantana183 wrote:Wasn't Gustav Anderman a Mercenary commander when he moved in to save Postdam (forgot the original name of planet) and then became the Emperor and if I remember correctly the first successful export that the Andermani had were Mercenaries.

Yeah can't believe I didn't think about that.

I don't know what SEM policy on mercs is but I could swear that I read somewhere that the SKM tried on multiple occasions to get interstellar law rewritten to ban privateers but they've failed because too many smaller powers see privateers as a good way to boost their effective military strengths in a crisis, and some other powers believe the law would be primarily serving the Star Kingdom/Star Empire's interests due to the size of the Manticoran merchant marine.
Post by SCC   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:04 am

SCC
Commander

Weird Harold wrote:
SCC wrote:I'm pretty sure we've only seen mercs once, those guys the Peeps used to employ to guard the president, other then historical Andemarian

Those are the only reputable mercenaries we've see, and I had forgotten about them. Thandi Palane's "Amazons" were also "good" mercenaries, but I wouldn't call them "reputable." :D

Your point does illustrate part of the problem: just what counts as a "mercenary."

From what we've seen it's a bit like in BattleTech, you just call your self one and you are
Post by Daryl   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:01 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

David Drake's Hammer's Slammers are mercenaries, and some of the Bolo stories feature mercenaries. OK, not in the Honorverse, but the authors are friends and collaborators.
Post by SCC   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:21 am

SCC
Commander

Roguevictory wrote:I don't know what SEM policy on mercs is but I could swear that I read somewhere that the SKM tried on multiple occasions to get interstellar law rewritten to ban privateers but they've failed because too many smaller powers see privateers as a good way to boost their effective military strengths in a crisis, and some other powers believe the law would be primarily serving the Star Kingdom/Star Empire's interests due to the size of the Manticoran merchant marine.

They don't like privateers because quality control by those minor powers is crap
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:58 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:I don't know what SEM policy on mercs is but I could swear that I read somewhere that the SKM tried on multiple occasions to get interstellar law rewritten to ban privateers but they've failed because too many smaller powers see privateers as a good way to boost their effective military strengths in a crisis, and some other powers believe the law would be primarily serving the Star Kingdom/Star Empire's interests due to the size of the Manticoran merchant marine.
Yep, there was a mention in Changer Of Worlds: Ms Midshipwoman Harrington
Ms Midshipwoman Harrington wrote:It didn't take much of a warship to make a successful pirate cruiser. Aside from a few specialized designs, like the Hauptman Cartel's armed passenger liners, merchantmen were big, slow, lumbering and unarmored targets, helpless before even the lightest shipboard armament. By the same token, no sane pirate-and however sociopathic all too many of them might be, pirates as a group tended to be very sane where matters of survival were concerned-wanted to take on any warship in combat. Even here in Silesia, regular navy crews tended to be better trained and more highly motivated. Besides, a pirate's ship was his principal capital investment. He was in business to make money, not spend it patching the holes in his hull . . . assuming he was fortunate enough to escape from a regular man-of-war in the first place.
But privateers were different. Or they could be, at least. Like pirates, the financial backers who invested in a privateer expected it to be a money-making concern. But privateers also possessed a certain quasi-respectability, for interstellar law continued to recognize privateering as a legal means of making war, despite the strong opposition of nations like the Star Kingdom of Manticore, whose massive merchant marine made it the natural enemy of any legal theory which legitimized private enterprise commerce raiding. As far as Bachfisch and Layson were concerned, there was little if any practical difference between privateers and pirates, but smaller nations which could not afford to raise and maintain large and powerful navies adamantly resisted all efforts to outlaw privateering by interstellar treaty. Oh, they attended the conferences Manticore and other naval powers convened periodically to discuss the issue, but the bottom line was that they saw privateers as a cost-effective means by which even a weak nation could attack the life's blood of a major commercial power like the Star Kingdom and at least tie down major portions of its navy in defensive operations.

achfisch and Layson could follow the logic of that argument, however much they might detest it, but privateering as practiced in the Silesian Confederacy was a far cry from the neat theories propounded by the practice's defenders at the interstellar conferences. Breakaway system governments and an incredible variety of "people's movements" proliferated across the Confederacy like weeds in a particularly well-rotted compost heap, and at least half of them issued-sold, really-letters of marque to license privateering in the names of their revolutions. At least two-thirds of those letters went to out and out pirates, who regarded them as get-out-of-jail-free cards. Whereas piracy was a capital offense under interstellar law, privateers were legally regarded as a sort of militia, semi-civilian volunteers in the service of whatever nation had issued their letter of marque in the first place. That meant that their ships could be seized, but that they themselves were protected. The worst that could happen to them (officially, at least) was incarceration along with other prisoners of war, unless they had been so careless as to be captured in the act of murdering, torturing, raping, or otherwise treating the crews of their prizes in traditional piratical fashion.
But I did a quick ebook search and found relatively few references to mercenary (compared to privateer); and many of them were describing someones interaction or personality as "mercenary".

A bunch for Gustav Anderman, more for the Peoples Navy in Exile, and couple for Thandi's group, a couple for the Axlerod group's mercs back in Travis Long's day, one interesting mentioned that Mesa was also the "galaxy's largest center for free-lance mercenary outfits." [CoS]. But I didn't see any universal condemnation of Mercs...
Post by kzt   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:36 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Raising a light infantry unit is not terribly capital intensive. Modern guns and gear isn't free, but 5K per man would give you minimal modern capability, you can do pretty well for 10K in gear man, at 25K per you have leading edge stuff. So a light infantry company of 200 guys could cost you in capital from under $1 million to maybe $5 million.

Raising a DD squadron is hugely capital intensive. We are talking probably many hundreds of millions of dollars if not a billion plus. So if you intend to make money doing this you need to be billing many, many millions a year just to pay for the gear, even before crew pay comes up.

So free lance naval units would be pretty darn scarce, while infantry units might be a not uncommon.
Post by SWM   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:26 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:
csantana183 wrote:Wasn't Gustav Anderman a Mercenary commander when he moved in to save Postdam (forgot the original name of planet) and then became the Emperor and if I remember correctly the first successful export that the Andermani had were Mercenaries.

Yeah can't believe I didn't think about that.

I don't know what SEM policy on mercs is but I could swear that I read somewhere that the SKM tried on multiple occasions to get interstellar law rewritten to ban privateers but they've failed because too many smaller powers see privateers as a good way to boost their effective military strengths in a crisis, and some other powers believe the law would be primarily serving the Star Kingdom/Star Empire's interests due to the size of the Manticoran merchant marine.

That's true. Privateers are not the same as mercenaries, but it is possible that Phalanx meant privateers in his original post. Is that what you meant, Phalanx?
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine

Return to Honorverse