Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 164 guests

Honor Harrington - Scat, Spat, Chat or Stat

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor Harrington - Scat, Spat, Chat or Stat
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:11 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:That's just me guessing, though. A quick search didn't bring up anything about whether he uses models or not.

A quick perusal of the covers suggests that the "model" hasn't aged from an original OBS paperback to an eARC of A Rising Thunder. Granted they are paintings and not photos, but being ageless suggests he's at least not using a live model for the latter books -- maybe photos from a single session for OBS?
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:27 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Personally, I am not sure that the models are one in the same, if they are indeed models. The woman on At All Costs looks extremely life-like; actually they all do. If they aren't actual people, I would be very surprised, and a bit disappointed. There seems, to me, to be at least two different models, perhaps three.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:47 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

cthia wrote:Personally, I am not sure that the models are one in the same, if they are indeed models. The woman on At All Costs looks extremely life-like; actually they all do. If they aren't actual people, I would be very surprised, and a bit disappointed. There seems, to me, to be at least two different models, perhaps three.

Ummmm... artists *can* paint people without using a model.

Michael Whelan was constantly being asked who modeled for Friday on his cover of Heinlein's novel of the same name. He didn't use a model, except for someone wearing a similar jumpsuit so he could get the folds and creases in the fabric right.

If you *really* want to know, you could always go to Mattingly's website and email him the question. I'd be willing to bet that he probably *doesn't* use a model, for the face anyway.

Click the "email David" link at the bottom of the page: http://www.davidmattingly.com/Pages/Davidbio.html

I can't imagine why you'd be disappointed if he doesn't use models. IMO as an artist (sort of), being able to achieve a believable human without a reference is a sign of skill. I've never had that skill, and can only draw someone if I have a photo to work from.

BTW, the phrase is "one *and* the same".

Harold - Possible, but again, I have my doubts that he uses a facial model. I think he might use a "body double", either live or in photos, for lighting and clothing, but for the face, I think it's all him. He may have sketches that he uses for reference so that he can keep the looks similar from cover to cover, but even those wouldn't require a model.

I *do* know that several of the Keys in the background of Flag in Exile are Barflies from the Baen's Bar forums, and other real people.
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:54 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:
cthia wrote:
Personally, I am not sure that the models are one in the same, if they are indeed models. The woman on At All Costs looks extremely life-like; actually they all do. If they aren't actual people, I would be very surprised, and a bit disappointed. There seems, to me, to be at least two different models, perhaps three.

Ummmm... artists *can* paint people without using a model.

Michael Whelan was constantly being asked who modeled for Friday on his cover of Heinlein's novel of the same name. He didn't use a model, except for someone wearing a similar jumpsuit so he could get the folds and creases in the fabric right.

If you *really* want to know, you could always go to Mattingly's website and email him the question. I'd be willing to bet that he probably *doesn't* use a model, for the face anyway.

Click the "email David" link at the bottom of the page: http://www.davidmattingly.com/Pages/Davidbio.html

I can't imagine why you'd be disappointed if he doesn't use models. IMO as an artist (sort of), being able to achieve a believable human without a reference is a sign of skill. I've never had that skill, and can only draw someone if I have a photo to work from.

Harold - Possible, but again, I have my doubts that he uses a facial model. I think he might use a "body double", either live or in photos, for lighting and clothing, but for the face, I think it's all him. He may have sketches that he uses for reference so that he can keep the looks similar from cover to cover, but even those wouldn't require a model.

I *do* know that several of the Keys in the background of Flag in Exile are Barflies from the Baen's Bar forums, and other real people.

First things first, thanks for correcting that phrase. Thanks even more for not being crass about it.

Now, second thing second ...

SEE, FRIENDS IN ROMANIA? ...

I'm American and I screw up phrases, idioms, language, spelling and grammar too. So ... time to join the forum? Not everyone will make the forum a chopping block for heads. Okay?

Last but not least Maxx, I'd be disappointed because the images of Honor on the books are rather beautiful, and if they aren't real people, then the world is just a bit less beautiful, overall. One beautiful woman can make a difference. Ask Helen, of Troy. Certainly in my world anyways. Thanks for the info though, albeit I'm much too reluctant to go formally researching it now. I might find out she isn't real, and for me the books was kind of supported by the image that she portrays, and the fact that she, at least, is non-fiction.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:44 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

cthia wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:Ummmm... artists *can* paint people without using a model.

First things first, thanks for correcting that phrase. Thanks even more for not being crass about it.

Now, second thing second ...

SEE, FRIENDS IN ROMANIA? ...

I'm American and I screw up phrases, idioms, language, spelling and grammar too. So ... time to join the forum? Not everyone will make the forum a chopping block for heads. Okay?

Last but not least Maxx, I'd be disappointed because the images of Honor on the books are rather beautiful, and if they aren't real people, then the world is just a bit less beautiful, overall. One beautiful woman can make a difference. Ask Helen, of Troy. Certainly in my world anyways. Thanks for the info though, albeit I'm much too reluctant to go formally researching it now. I might find out she isn't real, and for me the books was kind of supported by the image that she portrays, and the fact that she, at least, is non-fiction.

Ah... I didn't think of that reason. I should have, since I thought the same about Michael Whelan's Friday, before I bought the book of his art where he mentions the story I mentioned above. In fact, I always thought she resembled Raquel Welch, a woman I have *always* had a bit of a crush on, and who shares my birthday, albeit she's a few years older than I.

You can find it here (the pictures are listed alphabetically, so just look for "Friday"): http://www.michaelwhelan.com/gallery/il ... e-fiction/

MW is probably my favorite SF/Fantasy artist, and I wish I had the money and the room to get all the prints he sells. David Mattingly is good, but I just like Whelan better. After him is Frazetta, then Syd Mead, Boris Vallejo, and Robert McCall. Those are my top five favorite SF/Fantasy/ real life (tech) artists.
Post by Yow   » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:39 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

MaxxQ wrote:You can find it here (the pictures are listed alphabetically, so just look for "Friday"): http://www.michaelwhelan.com/gallery/il ... e-fiction/
:D MaxxQ thanks for sharing this link. It's an awesome find. This cover here http://www.michaelwhelan.com/wp-content ... ltears.jpg is the very first science fiction book I remember reading as a child. This is the one that kicked it all off for me. Nor Crystal Tears.

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:30 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Yow wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:You can find it here (the pictures are listed alphabetically, so just look for "Friday"): http://www.michaelwhelan.com/gallery/il ... e-fiction/
:D MaxxQ thanks for sharing this link. It's an awesome find. This cover here http://www.michaelwhelan.com/wp-content ... ltears.jpg is the very first science fiction book I remember reading as a child. This is the one that kicked it all off for me. Nor Crystal Tears.

Yep. That's a good one. I've read all but maybe two of Foster's Humanx Commonwealth books - almost as many as all the Honorverse series.

That particular cover is one of Michael Whelan's better ones, but TBH, I don't think he *has* any bad covers, unless you count some of his earliest stuff - like his covers for Moorcock's Elric books. Those are great as well, but look almost crude compared to the stuff he does nowadays.

Return to Honorverse