Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 151 guests

Question about data from unusual wormhole [possible Spoiler]

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Question about data from unusual wormhole [possible Spoiler]
Post by tinfoil   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:06 pm

tinfoil
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Has it been established that Simoes knows anything about the source of the odd wormhole data that led to discovery the Streak drive?

In other words, could it suddenly come up in conversation with someone debriefing him that 'we were looking at some funny numbers from the Verdant Vista (Torch) wormhole data when . . . ', at which time the GA suddenly has a reason to look around in the Torch system very closely...
Re: Question about data from unusual wormhole [possible Spoi
Post by Amaroq   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:19 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

tinfoil wrote:Has it been established that Simoes knows anything about the source of the odd wormhole data that led to discovery the Streak drive?

In other words, could it suddenly come up in conversation with someone debriefing him that 'we were looking at some funny numbers from the Verdant Vista (Torch) wormhole data when . . . ', at which time the GA suddenly has a reason to look around in the Torch system very closely...

That's an interesting question but I don't believe that we've been given any indication that Simoes really knew anything about the wormhole or where it led. At some point, the GA is going to have to get or find a clue that that wormhole has immense importance but as of right now there's nothing solid leading them to it.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by SWM   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:50 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

tinfoil wrote:Has it been established that Simoes knows anything about the source of the odd wormhole data that led to discovery the Streak drive?

There is no evidence that he knows anything at all about Torch or its wormhole. There has been a great deal of speculation that Alignment studies of the wormhole could have helped research into the spider drive or the streak drive. But no evidence at all, either pro or con.

It seems to me unlikely that such research could have anything to do with the streak drive, since it is more or less simply a brute force approach, and the text indicates that research in other areas in the rest of the galaxy helped lead the Alignment to the streak drive.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by kzt   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:37 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

There was a comment about how alignment hyper-physicists were still studying the twins, so it is certainly possible that he knows about it.
Post by SYED   » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:19 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

From the newest book, we know htere are two scientists, travelling iwth out a guard, so i wonder if they might visit that trapped slaving station, and get coaught by the beowolfs there. We dont know their speciallities, but who knows what they might have. I wonderi f hte other scientists might have carried personal science data.
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:50 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

SYED wrote:From the newest book, we know htere are two scientists, travelling iwth out a guard, so i wonder if they might visit that trapped slaving station, and get coaught by the beowolfs there. We dont know their speciallities, but who knows what they might have. I wonderi f hte other scientists might have carried personal science data.

You might want to reread Chapter 5 of Torch of Freedom, paying particular attention to the place where it says: "Which explained why Zachariah's unique, almost instinctual ability to combine totally separate research concepts into unanticipated nuggets of development had been so carefully nurished once it was recognized. Which, in turn, explained how he had wound up as one of Chernevsky's right hands in the Alignment's naval R&D branch."

Put that together with the place where it says the Streak drive was the result of combining advances in several apparently unrelated fields, and I think there's a good possibility that Zack McBryde was instrumental in inventing the darn thing.

Gail Weiss is a military analyst. At one point she says she could probably bore you into a stupor talking about any warship type in the galaxy.
Post by SCC   » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:20 am

SCC
Commander

JohnRoth wrote:
SYED wrote:From the newest book, we know htere are two scientists, travelling iwth out a guard, so i wonder if they might visit that trapped slaving station, and get coaught by the beowolfs there. We dont know their speciallities, but who knows what they might have. I wonderi f hte other scientists might have carried personal science data.

You might want to reread Chapter 5 of Torch of Freedom, paying particular attention to the place where it says: "Which explained why Zachariah's unique, almost instinctual ability to combine totally separate research concepts into unanticipated nuggets of development had been so carefully nurished once it was recognized. Which, in turn, explained how he had wound up as one of Chernevsky's right hands in the Alignment's naval R&D branch."

Put that together with the place where it says the Streak drive was the result of combining advances in several apparently unrelated fields, and I think there's a good possibility that Zack McBryde was instrumental in inventing the darn thing.

Gail Weiss is a military analyst. At one point she says she could probably bore you into a stupor talking about any warship type in the galaxy.

I seriously doubt this. We KNOW that Simeos was working at the Gamma Center on the Strak Drive, given that JACK McBryde was the security chief at the Gamma Center, it seems unlikely that Zack would have been in charge of ANY research going on at the Gamma Center, there are security problems at the very least. And I doubt there where OTHER research centers working on the Streak Drive, likely that was exclusive to the Gamma Center and the only thing the Gamma Center worked on
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:34 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:You might want to reread Chapter 5 of Torch of Freedom, paying particular attention to the place where it says: "Which explained why Zachariah's unique, almost instinctual ability to combine totally separate research concepts into unanticipated nuggets of development had been so carefully nurished once it was recognized. Which, in turn, explained how he had wound up as one of Chernevsky's right hands in the Alignment's naval R&D branch."

SCC wrote:I seriously doubt this. We KNOW that Simeos was working at the Gamma Center on the Strak Drive, given that JACK McBryde was the security chief at the Gamma Center, it seems unlikely that Zack would have been in charge of ANY research going on at the Gamma Center, there are security problems at the very least. And I doubt there where OTHER research centers working on the Streak Drive, likely that was exclusive to the Gamma Center and the only thing the Gamma Center worked on

I think you've got the time sequence confused. At the time Dr. Simoes was working on the "Streak Drive Improvements" project at the Gamma Center, the original streak drive was a done deal and in routine use in MAlign couriers. If Zack had anything to do with the Streak Drive, it would have been the original version, which, as another commenter has pointed out, bears all the fingerprints of being a lash-up that was hurried into production without a lot of refinement.
Post by Brigade XO   » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:45 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Zack was nowhere near the Gamma Center. It was danced around in the books that while both brothers knew that the other has both deep in the Onion and that -in general where they worked- they NEVER talked shop, at least not in any detail that would compromise each other's security or learn too much about what exactly the other (or other's focus of employment ) did.
Having said that, Zack falling into Beowulf Biological Survey or Torch Navy hands would be a major coupe and potential source of all sorts of data for the GA. We have seen what could be the set-up leading that to happen or Zack doing something overt to get away from the Alignment which seems to have demonstrated that it wants Zack and any other of the Houdini removals very dead if there is even the remote chance of them being captured.
Post by SCC   » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:57 pm

SCC
Commander

JohnRoth wrote:I think you've got the time sequence confused. At the time Dr. Simoes was working on the "Streak Drive Improvements" project at the Gamma Center, the original streak drive was a done deal and in routine use in MAlign couriers. If Zack had anything to do with the Streak Drive, it would have been the original version, which, as another commenter has pointed out, bears all the fingerprints of being a lash-up that was hurried into production without a lot of refinement.

Possible, but if Zack was the one who got the Streak Drive working in the first place, why wasn't he on the project to improve it? It also suggests that different people where brought in to improve it, that goes against how the MS seems to isolate it's scientists

Return to Honorverse