Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests

Missile defense idea

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Missile defense idea
Post by quark   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:08 pm

quark
Lieutenant Commander

The Sollie missiles are already a cm drive on top of a normal drive. That sounds to me like it could be easily modified into an extended range CM. Thoughts?
Re: Missile defense idea
Post by kzt   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:24 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

quark wrote:The Sollie missiles are already a cm drive on top of a normal drive. That sounds to me like it could be easily modified into an extended range CM. Thoughts?

Yes, but there is no way to guide it out there. You really need to reach out to past 8-10 M KM to be effective.
Post by dreamrider   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:05 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Has it been firmly established that the MAlign is going to allow the 'Technodyne' Cataphract line to be released/sold for general use across the SLN?

The missiles are actually a MAlign development, and one of their important tech 'edges' over the rest of the galaxy if not over the GA.

The shiploads that were delivered to Filareta were actually pretty heavily hinted/established to have come out of MAlign stocks, via Mesa, rather than really from Technodyne of Yilden production lines. It is also pretty clear, given the fix put in on the outcome of 3rd Manticore, that the MAlign leadership had reasonable expectations that none of that consignment of missiles was going to get home for the SLN quartemasters to examine in detail.

So back to my question. Does the SLN really have continuing access to Cataphract A, B, & C?

dreamrider
Post by crewdude48   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:31 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

dreamrider wrote:Has it been firmly established that the MAlign is going to allow the 'Technodyne' Cataphract line to be released/sold for general use across the SLN?

The missiles are actually a MAlign development, and one of their important tech 'edges' over the rest of the galaxy if not over the GA.

The shiploads that were delivered to Filareta were actually pretty heavily hinted/established to have come out of MAlign stocks, via Mesa, rather than really from Technodyne of Yilden production lines. It is also pretty clear, given the fix put in on the outcome of 3rd Manticore, that the MAlign leadership had reasonable expectations that none of that consignment of missiles was going to get home for the SLN quartemasters to examine in detail.

So back to my question. Does the SLN really have continuing access to Cataphract A, B, & C?

dreamrider

I have only read CoG once so far, but didn't somebody's internal monolog say something along the lines of "Technodyne had lost a lot of prestige due to Monica, but had made a lot of it back by releasing the designs for their new missiles to the SLN." Again, I am not sure I am remembering correctly, but my brain is itching about it.
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

dreamrider wrote:So back to my question. Does the SLN really have continuing access to Cataphract A, B, & C?

The idea is fairly easy for any normal supplier of SLN missiles to copy and/or improve upon.

Since Mesa is in GA hands, including Technodyne's representative on the Mesa Board of directors, and the Yildin system where the majority of TIY's yards and work force are located is bound to be high on the GA's target list, I'd say the immediate answer to your question is, "No." If they do still have access to missiles from TIY, it will be a short term source.

Unfortunately, Missile Production lines don't seem to take much time or resources to set up. Copies or derivatives of the Cataphract missiles will shortly be available from several sources.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by SWM   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:45 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

dreamrider wrote:Has it been firmly established that the MAlign is going to allow the 'Technodyne' Cataphract line to be released/sold for general use across the SLN?

dreamrider

No, they appear to be a Technodyne development. Technodyne just doesn't realize that they are a wholly owned subsidiary of the Mesan Alignment. Remember, they are on the Board of Directors on Mesa? They are a Mesan corporation.

And yes, we do have textev that the Solarian League Navy will be getting more cataphract missiles. There is a statement by one of the Mandarins in ART that cataphracts are going into production and should be available soon.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Roguevictory   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:18 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

crewdude48 wrote:

dreamrider

I have only read CoG once so far, but didn't somebody's internal monolog say something along the lines of "Technodyne had lost a lot of prestige due to Monica, but had made a lot of it back by releasing the designs for their new missiles to the SLN." Again, I am not sure I am remembering correctly, but my brain is itching about it.

Besides having Cataphract being produced or duplicated, and possibly modified by as many sources as possible actually would benefit the MA IMO even if the original missiles were an MA development. With multiple corps, and worlds producing Cataphracts or similar weapons it becomes much easier for the RF navies to obtain them or develop and build their own versions without the presence of the missiles becoming something that would draw special attention from the GA.

Return to Honorverse