Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 143 guests

Marriage in the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Marriage in the Honorverse
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:25 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

While I was surprised by the Marriage with multiple partners in the Honorverse, this would not fly in the UK and commonwealth. One wonders if the Marriage is allowable between A Man and One or Two or Many Wives, Man and other Man or Men? Woman and other Woman & or other Women? or a Woman and more than one Husband? Or a woman and a Man and a Woman. Can a Second or Third wife marry a Second or Third Husband of another Woman or Man?

Are children of a former Widow, who marries a new man who already has a wife siblings of children of the other wife and Man? Cousins? Total strangers?

Presumably divorce exists in the Honorverse. Can a Woman divorce and remarry two or three men in pairs or sets or , oh I'm all confused now.
Post by Lazalarlives   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:57 pm

Lazalarlives
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Skimper,
IMHO, I'm pretty sure RFC is applying the term to any recognized union of consenting adults for the purpose of combining property and caring for any offspring/adopted offspring. Beowulf rules seem to favor an extended clan of adults to ensure stability for the kids, not necessarily the pleasure of the adults (which is still an issue, but not the central one).
Ultimately, the children are what a marriage is about - the continuation of the 'family' in the next generation. The other benefits/problems/issues are simply icing on the cake.
I'd have fewer problems with the modern 'marriage' debate if we'd get back to that core idea. So far most of the beneficiaries have been divorce lawyers, not kids.

Just my two cents,
Dave
Re: Marriage in the Honorverse
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:58 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Lazalarlives wrote:Skimper,
IMHO, I'm pretty sure RFC is applying the term to any recognized union of consenting adults for the purpose of combining property and caring for any offspring/adopted offspring. Beowulf rules seem to favor an extended clan of adults to ensure stability for the kids, not necessarily the pleasure of the adults (which is still an issue, but not the central one).
Ultimately, the children are what a marriage is about - the continuation of the 'family' in the next generation. The other benefits/problems/issues are simply icing on the cake.
I'd have fewer problems with the modern 'marriage' debate if we'd get back to that core idea. So far most of the beneficiaries have been divorce lawyers, not kids.

Just my two cents,
Dave

What he said!

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Lazalarlives   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:59 pm

Lazalarlives
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Thank you, sir! :shock:
Post by KNick   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:18 pm

KNick
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
Lazalarlives wrote:Skimper,

Just my two cents,
Dave

What he said!

I always thought you had a sane outlook on life, RFC. Thank you for reaffirming that.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by DrMegaverse   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:41 pm

DrMegaverse
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Lazalarlives wrote:Ultimately, the children are what a marriage is about - the continuation of the 'family' in the next generation.

As the male counterpart in an infertile couple I have to say, my marriage is not about children.

My marriage is simply about my wife and I, our rights over each other and our property (legally speaking), and our commitment to each other (emotionally speaking).

This is what I have taken away from the concept of marriage both personally, and within the Honorverse.
Post by dreamrider   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:51 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

DrMegaverse wrote:
Lazalarlives wrote:Ultimately, the children are what a marriage is about - the continuation of the 'family' in the next generation.

As the male counterpart in an infertile couple I have to say, my marriage is not about children.

My marriage is simply about my wife and I, our rights over each other and our property (legally speaking), and our commitment to each other (emotionally speaking).

This is what I have taken away from the concept of marriage both personally, and within the Honorverse.

Believe us, Doc. If a miracle happened, and y'all ended up with children, the marriage would be about children. The marriage would also still be about all those things you spoke of...and all of those things would be about the children.

dreamrider
Post by DrMegaverse   » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:10 am

DrMegaverse
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

dreamrider wrote:
Believe us, Doc. If a miracle happened, and y'all ended up with children, the marriage would be about children. The marriage would also still be about all those things you spoke of...and all of those things would be about the children.

dreamrider

And if said "miracle" never happens, what then? I understand the quid pro quo here, but it's still a tad insensitive and generic, in my opinion.

Look I'm not trying to stand on my soap box here, this isn't the appropriate time or place for that kind of thing. However it's likely said "miracle" will not happen for us, and the pervasive thought that the above criteria are the defining factor are part of the pain and exlcusion most societies create which my wife and I feel. I'm not saying folks with kids don't "x,y,z", nor am I playing for sympathy...I just want the point made that there is more to the equation for many, many people.

Ok, 2 cents shared. I apologize for derailing the subject.
Post by hanuman   » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:17 am

hanuman
Captain of the List

Lazalarlives wrote:I'd have fewer problems with the modern 'marriage' debate if we'd get back to that core idea. So far most of the beneficiaries have been divorce lawyers, not kids.

Just my two cents,
Dave

Spoken like a true heterosexual with no idea what it is like to be told that YOUR relationship is substandard, that YOUR family is worth less than others.

Sorry, Lazalarlives and all the others who have been commenting on this, but you brought this particular topic up. I just refuse to back down on this point.

Unfortunately (from your perspective) marriage is NOT just about children. In the United States the federal government provides 1 138 tax and other benefits to married couples. Many of those benefits do centre on children, yes, but most do not.

Moreover, if marriage was JUST about children, then logic suggests that any couple that cannot have children, or is too old to have children, should be banned from getting married in the first place. Also, that same logic suggests that any couple whose children are no longer dependent upon them, should by law be required to divorce.

The question Americans should ask themselves, is this: are we really serious about our commitment to the principle of equal treatment before the law for ALL American citizens? Or do we believe that some Americans are more equal than others?

As for the statement regarding lawyers and children, that is one of the most unthinking, superficial and callous remarks I've read on these forums in all the time I've been a member.

The fact of the matter is this. If even ONE child can be certain that his/her parents will both have the right to make medical decisions for him/her, then all the boohaa about marriage equality was worth it. If even ONE child can be certain that tonight federal and state welfare benefits will provide enough food for dinner, then all the boohaa about marriage equality was worth it.

I can go on and on and on, but the truth is that, today, not just one or a few, but thousands upon thousands of American children, whose parents just happen to be of the same sex, can go to bed with the certainty that THEIR families enjoy the same legal freedoms, benefits and responsibilities that ALL heterosexual families are entitled to.

It is just a pity, and in my opinion as a foreigner who greatly admire America, a great mark of shame, that so many of the United States continue to fail in their commitment to that most important of American values.

Sorry for the rant, but like I said, someone else started the topic, and marriage is an important enough subject that I cannot simply remain quiet.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:40 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

hanuman wrote:
Lazalarlives wrote:I'd have fewer problems with the modern 'marriage' debate if we'd get back to that core idea. So far most of the beneficiaries have been divorce lawyers, not kids.

Just my two cents,
Dave

Spoken like a true heterosexual with no idea what it is like to be told that YOUR relationship is substandard, that YOUR family is worth less than others.

Sorry, Lazalarlives and all the others who have been commenting on this, but you brought this particular topic up. I just refuse to back down on this point.

Unfortunately (from your perspective) marriage is NOT just about children. In the United States the federal government provides 1 138 tax and other benefits to married couples. Many of those benefits do centre on children, yes, but most do not.

Moreover, if marriage was JUST about children, then logic suggests that any couple that cannot have children, or is too old to have children, should be banned from getting married in the first place. Also, that same logic suggests that any couple whose children are no longer dependent upon them, should by law be required to divorce.

The question Americans should ask themselves, is this: are we really serious about our commitment to the principle of equal treatment before the law for ALL American citizens? Or do we believe that some Americans are more equal than others?

As for the statement regarding lawyers and children, that is one of the most unthinking, superficial and callous remarks I've read on these forums in all the time I've been a member.

The fact of the matter is this. If even ONE child can be certain that his/her parents will both have the right to make medical decisions for him/her, then all the boohaa about marriage equality was worth it. If even ONE child can be certain that tonight federal and state welfare benefits will provide enough food for dinner, then all the boohaa about marriage equality was worth it.

I can go on and on and on, but the truth is that, today, not just one or a few, but thousands upon thousands of American children, whose parents just happen to be of the same sex, can go to bed with the certainty that THEIR families enjoy the same legal freedoms, benefits and responsibilities that ALL heterosexual families are entitled to.

It is just a pity, and in my opinion as a foreigner who greatly admire America, a great mark of shame, that so many of the United States continue to fail in their commitment to that most important of American values.

Sorry for the rant, but like I said, someone else started the topic, and marriage is an important enough subject that I cannot simply remain quiet.

Supposedly in the Honorverse, and with Bigamy running rampant, one even a Gay Lesbian couple can have a test tube baby, either with a donor other component, or a Marriage for Children with a Counter part of the opposite sex. Even if only for donation purposes. Heck the donations might just be a DNA Hair Sample. Should one be unable to provide a more direct component. It is 2000 years in the future. Test tube babies are the norm in Manticore.

Return to Honorverse